What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

New retexture project: Metal Mario 64

CrashDance22

I ripped that logo ^_^
I've decided to put Rice's plugin to good use and recreate all the level textures to give them a metallic look! For each texture I'm bumping up the size 4x (32 to 128, 64 to 256, etc) then applying an emboss in Gimp 2. So far the game really looks good, especially since I increased the sizes to allow for extra detail from the embossing process. ;)

I'm also going to create a video with a storyline of major acid rain that coated the ground! However, I can't post any screens right now, considering I'm at school. But when I do, I'll edit the post.

Oh and one more thing: I'm not editing textures in any particular order, like levels/worlds, just the order in which they were dumped, so some textures will be original in the screens because I won't be finished.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

http://i17.tinypic.com/2a7ar2b.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/2r73mnd.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/3y4s1mw.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/4dqplvk.jpg

Last edited:

macphisto

This is a tricky one. I can see what you're trying to do, but I'm afraid it's just not possible. For stuff to seem metallic, you need a proper effect like pixel shaders, or the one used on Mario himself when he gets his power up. Without a reflective sheen, it's just going to look greyscaled.

Datadayne

But your not doing anything to the textures. All your doing is using the filter effects. Try being creative and adding something that you create. I also suggest not just making them metallic. Try differing with other thing like you can try makeing some cardboard style textures, some slimy style textures. Be creative and do something out of the box. Dont just focus on one theme, this will bore you and the textures will look repetetive.

Good luck anyways.

Datadayne.

smcd

I agree, running them through an emboss filter isn't the best of ideas. Other than that I commend your efforts - I do not have the time or more importantly the patience required to do retexturing :)

OP
CrashDance22

CrashDance22

I ripped that logo ^_^
I see your points guys, and maybe I should've tried a different method, but I've honestly made too much progress to stop. Also, this is mainly for users on YouTube, who don't really care about creativity and just want what they see. I've gotten my reputation up to the point where if I present just about anything, all my fans/subscribers will still appreciate it.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions though, and just thought I'd tell you, I'm gonna start a Sweet Mario 64 gfx pack once I'm finished with this one! So I will get creative soon enough, just not for my first project. ;)

DDRPIP

The One and Only
honestly, not your best, but i'll be waiting for the next, I'll tell you what looks good when you have screens of that pack.

OP
CrashDance22

CrashDance22

I ripped that logo ^_^
Well I was thinking about the Sweet Mario 64 thing, and thought I would forget about that, and start a CrashDance22 fanpack with screenshots of my videos, jokes I used, and stuff like that in it. I'm sure my subscribers will love it!

OP
CrashDance22

CrashDance22

I ripped that logo ^_^
thats real hard man.
finding the textures and add a lil filter effect in photoshop is really hard core

First of all, I'm using Gimp, not Photoshop. I can't hardly use Photoshop at all because it's waaay beyond me in terms of images and the like. Also, applying a filter in Gimp is very easy. But the project isn't hard at all, just very time consuming.

DDRPIP

The One and Only
First of all, I'm using Gimp, not Photoshop. [I can't hardly use Photoshop at all because it's waaay beyond me in terms of images and the like.] Also, applying a filter in Gimp is very easy. But the project isn't hard at all, just very time consuming.

The only trace of correct sarcasm is in the bold bracketed area... you must be ignorant to the meaning and suggestions of sarcasm.

OP
CrashDance22

CrashDance22

I ripped that logo ^_^
The only trace of correct sarcasm is in the bold bracketed area... you must be ignorant to the meaning and suggestions of sarcasm.

No, I was being serious there. I honestly can't use Photoshop hardly at all. And I'm not being ignorant either. ANYway, back on topic, I've finished my Metal Mario 64 texture pack finally! Here's the teaser video I put up. Look for a link in the description.

DDRPIP

The One and Only
No, I was being serious there. I honestly can't use Photoshop hardly at all. And I'm not being ignorant either. ANYway, back on topic, I've finished my Metal Mario 64 texture pack finally! Here's the teaser video I put up. Look for a link in the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDIJEJeje40

I was saying that you do not understand the meaning of sarcasm, ignorant also means to not know of or about a subject.

zaczac

OMG, YOU USED A FILTER!
Nice that you got round to texturing, but probably not the sweetest idea yet