What's new

Problems with textures missing while running under Super Mario 64 under Windows Vista

happyprozak

Hi everyone, well I'm a newb and I'm slowly navigating through this maze of plugins and downloads etc.. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll know enough to do a guide for beginners to help out people like myself. I know there's a lot of help in this forum, but it's a little tough to navigate through because there are so many topics, hopefully I can contribute in the future by trying to organize stuff. I also want to say thankyou to all you guys and gals that make these emulators possible.

Anyways, Super Mario 64 runs great on my xp system but I get some texture problems under Vista. I've tried running this on two seperate laptops, both with a core duo processor and intel 950gma running windows Vista. The problem is that some textures are either missing or flicker in and out. For example, when mario is running you don't see the shadow under his feet. And at the begining of the game, the red carpet at the entrance to the castle is missing, also the big round texture where the sun hits that is found on the floor almost immediately entering the castle flickers in and out depending on at what angle you view it at.

I've tried several plugins from Rices 5x and 6x, Jabo's, and gnl with various settings. The only one that brings these textures back is Jabo's Direct3D6.1.5.2 and for the rendering device under settings, I have to set it to RGB emulation. The problem with this is that it slows the came down to an unplayable frame rate. The game runs great on my slower xp system so I can only imagine this is an issue with Vista. Am I correct in assuming this? Or is there something else I can do? And if there isn't anything I can do right now, can we expect to see some support for Vista anytime soon? THanks.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
yup

it supports Pixel shader, but not vertex shader, vertex shading is done by the cpu and this isn't good enough for the plugin

OP
H

happyprozak

yup

it supports Pixel shader, but not vertex shader, vertex shading is done by the cpu and this isn't good enough for the plugin

I have an extreme graphics II which is worse than the gma950 on my desktop running windows xp and it runs the game just fine so thats what I find odd.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
well theres also the changes to Vistas DX architecture which could effect it.

technically i find it odd the Dx6 plugin works as all Dx versions under 9 are rendered via Dx9 shaders

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
vista has a totaly different graphics engine as well so it could mean if you have not looked for vista drivers it would do so

Last edited: