What's new

NBA Hangtime propably fixed :)

dada123

Hey guys, i think i've done something which could be helpful for anyone who has issues with nba hangtime.

i attached a .png where anything what i have changed is shown.

finally i can play nba hangtime very well :)

oh, my sys specs are:

amd 64 4000+
ram: 2gb corsair ddr1
nvidia geforce 7950gt

i hope, i could help someone of you ;)

the video plugin i use is rice's video plugin 6.1.1 Beta 10

Iconoclast

Believe me, if there was a configuration for Rice's Video Plugin that would've fixed the slowdown issue, I would've found it.

For your first screenshot, Enable SSE will not really speed emulation up by that much, well, on some systems, it does make quite a difference, but it in no way fixes the cause of the slowdown in this game nor boosts the speed up. On my system, the game runs at 1 FPS and below at one point. You've made some form of effort, I'll give you that.

Skip frame gives an approximate 50 percent speed increase, emulating every other frame. This is a good idea to have on for a game like this, but speed will still be slow beyond hope.

As for the second screenshot, you are pretty much using the defaults there, except you forced high-end video card setting for first option.

I think the reason you have this speed increase is because you have a better video card (and system at whole, for that) than me, but if I'm wrong, then someone else will come in here and test your configuration and claim it fixes the slowdown.

OP
D

dada123

hm, you're right... nothing fixes the slowdown; my game runs (when i start mupen) at the beginning very nice, but then, after 2-3 minutes the game runs not as good as at the start of the emulation. another problem is ... i guess i can call it "suddenly slowdown" when the game runs at 50 fps (mupen limits the fps to 50) and suddenly slows/freezes for 1-3 seconds... after that it runs for a while at normal speed and then it slows down again. strange; do you know, where that slowdown comes from? maybe the video plugin it self?

Iconoclast

That's something I don't know how to tell. Project64 has notes on it in the RDB.

*opens RDB*

It looks like it's the video plugin causing it, as well as every other video plugin out there, as I tested pretty much every graphics plugin, and they all seem to be missing something about the N64 needed to prevent this slowdown.

My suggestion to you is, try Rice's Daedalus 5.2.0 on the 1964 emulator. Fastest emulator-plugin combination I've ever managed to find, next to Corn. Also, don't worry. This is actually one game that Rice's Daedalus does a pretty good job on, and there are examples of it doing even better than Jabo's, mostly commercial non-game ROMs.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
hm, you're right... nothing fixes the slowdown; my game runs (when i start mupen) at the beginning very nice, but then, after 2-3 minutes the game runs not as good as at the start of the emulation. another problem is ... i guess i can call it "suddenly slowdown" when the game runs at 50 fps (mupen limits the fps to 50) and suddenly slows/freezes for 1-3 seconds... after that it runs for a while at normal speed and then it slows down again. strange; do you know, where that slowdown comes from? maybe the video plugin it self?

I think that the counter factor is the issue, because when I changed it to 1 ran smooth as the N64. The video plugin has no part in the slowdown.

Screenshots!

Edit: Just double checking, I changed the counter factor a few times and the video starts to crawl anything after 1. So the counter factor is blame I think.

:king:

Last edited:

Legend

I think that the counter factor is the issue, because when I changed it to 1 ran smooth as the N64. The video plugin has no part in the slowdown.

Screenshots!

Edit: Just double checking, I changed the counter factor a few times and the video starts to crawl anything after 1. So the counter factor is blame I think.

:king:

Wrong game CPU!! :) Were talking about the notorious Hangtime not Showtime, which runs fine. It is also a VIDEO PLUGIN issue!! Not a CF issue at all. To prove this, the game ran PERFECT using Glide 64 and my old Voodoo 5 years ago. So if that's true then it can't be the emus fault. And trust me that was a shitty computer. That has been the only way I have ever found to play this rom correctly.

And of course, you can also get Mame and the Hangtime arcade rom and have it run perfectly, that's what I did. I recommend that!!

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Well, as much as I would love to test this, my card doesn't support Glide64, so, I'll just combine that excuse with my laziness and take a break. :p

But if you seriously mean that, that Glide64 is the only plugin that gets the game going at good speed instead of like 1-10 FPS or something, then you have just removed a game from BigHead's list of unplayable N64 games, as well as mine.

Legend

Icono, you can use Glide64 just fine with the wrapper as I had mentioned. I attached them below and would highly recommend to everyone to use these as the results are more playable games and less bugs. Just check out the official compatability list to see how it emulates more games than any other and with better results, including FB effects! Out of my 50 games, I only use other plugins to emulate 5. Glide64 provides better results for the other 45! I only say this cause this is like the best plugin but hardly anyone uses it and it gets no press!

I can guarantee that NBA Hangtime runs PERFECT using Glide64 with a Voodoo 5 and the Compat. list which shows this game's playability with the plugin at a 5 out of 5, backs me up on that. Also, I just downloaded Hangtime and checked Glide+wrapper and it's like 3 FPS so that's a no go for all of us. I just posted about this in the Glide64 forums and maybe the wrapper can fix this someday.

Attachment instructions: Put the files in the attached "plugin" zip into the plugins folder and put the file in the "Glide3x" zip into the emulator folder. That's it. This is the most recent wrapper (Ziggy's RC1) and the most recent Glide64 (from Dec.).

Last edited:
OP
D

dada123

hey again :)

the glide thing works only perfect for voodoo cards, so i have to use the rice video plugin. for me, the rice video plugin works nearly perfect (but for my own bad, not without that slowdown...).
i tried the same configuration of the plugin vs. the mupen emulator and project 64 on my friends pc, but it was very very slow (he's got a 3.0 ghz intel p4 cpu for the 478 socket). the main problem is, that you need a very very fast cpu (maybe if the emulator would support a dual core processor, it might work). damn, i wish it would run perfectly :). the maintime, it works with my amd athlon 64 4000+ single core, but this damn slowdown drives me up the wall. with jabos plugin, you won't be even able to play, but it seems (when you are using jabos direct3d plugin) that maybe the calculation of the basketballs position is the thing.

Legend

the glide thing works only perfect for voodoo cards, so i have to use the rice video plugin. for me, the rice video plugin works nearly perfect (but for my own bad, not without that slowdown...).

Glide64 again is 98% perfect with the wrapper (compared against having a real voodoo card) and in some ways better than a voodoo card since you can have high resolutions and filters and other stuff. And Rices does not sound like it makes this game playable at all, even on your massive machine. I don't enjoy any slowdowns or momentary freezes. So since none of us are going to swap our Geforces with a Voodoo5 ever, the game is not playable currently. Everyone should simply enjoy the better arcade rom on Mame until it gets better in the N64 emulation world.

And Squall, those cards are mysterious bitches, they not called Voodoo's for nothin'. :)

Last edited:

Iconoclast

The stereotype that Glide64 is the best graphics plugin comes from the presumption that it emulates a lot of things that other plugins don't, mainly risen from the notice of its frame buffer support in contrast to the other plugins. There's more to emulating the N64 than just frame buffer. The only games that work best in Glide64 are the Zelda games, which use frame buffer but also have little to nothing for Glide64 to screw up emulating.
Icono, you can use Glide64 just fine with the wrapper as I had mentioned. I attached them below and would highly recommend to everyone to use these as the results are more playable games and less bugs. Just check out the official compatability list to see how it emulates more games than any other and with better results, including FB effects! Out of my 50 games, I only use other plugins to emulate 5. Glide64 provides better results for the other 45! I only say this cause this is like the best plugin but hardly anyone uses it and it gets no press!
Why do you suggest this wrapper over Hacktarux's? Hacktarux's won't work on mine, so I'll try yours.

Also, just because you only had to use a different plugin than Glide64 for 10 percent of the games you tested, doesn't mean Glide64 works the best for the other 90 percent. Such games may usually work just as well in many other plugins and sometimes even better than in Glide64 (what a surprise) for a fairly good deal of those games.

There is no best graphics plugin. You name one game, any N64 game (I hope that I do not have to download it), and I'll tell you a plugin that works better than Glide64 for it, and the answer may likely be different every time.

Legend

The stereotype that Glide64 is the best graphics plugin comes from the presumption that it emulates a lot of things that other plugins don't, mainly risen from the notice of its frame buffer support in contrast to the other plugins. There's more to emulating the N64 than just frame buffer.

No, it does emulate a lot of things that others don't AS WELL as doing everything that others provide. I think this is a little ignorant and insulting. I really don’t want to fight about this and I do respect you as a member but I have to clear some stuff up. I am an anal perfectionist that’s been perfecting my N64 games for more than half a decade and have been active with helping out with Glide64 for the same amount of time. I know what this and other plugins can do. I think you need to spend some more time at the Glide64 forum to really see what it provides. (http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)

You mentioned that its only claim to fame is FB effects, well that’s what the N64 did and a plugin that doesn’t show these correctly is considered not accurate.

The only games that work best in Glide64 are the Zelda games, which use frame buffer but also have little to nothing for Glide64 to screw up emulating.

I think your thinking of GL64 here and again really an uneccessary comment.

Why do you suggest this wrapper over Hacktarux's? Hacktarux's won't work on mine, so I'll try yours.
This is Hack’s wrapper but has been drastically modified by Ziggy and Mudlord to be much faster and more accurate. This is what people should be using- bottom line. And this is what you should spend some time with to learn more about it.

Also, just because you only had to use a different plugin than Glide64 for 10 percent of the games you tested, doesn't mean Glide64 works the best for the other 90 percent. Such games may usually work just as well in many other plugins and sometimes even better than in Glide64 (what a surprise) for a fairly good deal of those games.

There is no best graphics plugin. You name one game, any N64 game (I hope that I do not have to download it), and I'll tell you a plugin that works better than Glide64 for it, and the answer may likely be different every time.

Here’s a short list of games BEST on Glide64 and all of this is based on fact and not opinions and trust me, this is only the tip of the iceburg.

-Conker’s Bad Fur Day- Currently best emulated on Glide64. And if you take a look at what’s going on the Glide forums then you would know in the next release every FB will be emulated and the game WILL be perfect. Name another plugin that beats that.
-Banjo’s games- Hands down the winner as almost all effects are supported
-Beetle Adventure Racing – No bugs with cars or trees unlike every other plugin
-Excitebike 64 – Emulates shadows and the fog with no bugs unlike ANY other plugin-perfect emulation
-Zelda’s – Yes, perfect unlike any other plugin (name another with coronas)
-Lego Racers – Shows other racers perfectly- show me another plugin that does this game better.
-Mario Golf – Slightly better than Jabo’s best efforts
-Mario Party 2 – Less bugs in minigames than Jabos (though Mario Party 3 is nearly perfect w/ Jabo 1.7)
-Paper Mario – Without question, best emulated on Glide64 as it emulates all FB effects/ much better than Jabo’s in this case. It like 2 different games between these plugins.
-Perfect Dark – More FB supported than Jabo’s with equivalent speed- so it has less bugs than Jabo’s which make it better to use.
-Rally Challenge 2000 – Umm… just boot the game to see which plugin is best.
-Space Invaders – Glide is perfect and tied with GL64 and Rice and Jabo’s have several bugs
There’s a lot of Japanese titles that will only run on Glide64 and more to come. Most of the other games not mentioned also run just as well as with Jabo's or Rice's. There's really only a couple of games it can't do as well as Jabo's, Mario Tennis being one of them.

I attached the Compatability chart (which no other plugin has) so everyone can see how Glide64 does emulate a greater number of games and better than any other plugin in a lot of cases. That’s simply undeniable. People just need to learn more about what Glide64 can do instead of “stereotyping” it! They need to forget the Voodoo garbage and use the plugin with the wrapper like how you use Rice with the BMG file.

Now you have a very old 5200, so you might not be able to use Glide64 as intended (I know, I had one). You do need slightly better hardware than with Jabo’s. But even a good 5900 should be enough to use Glide64 properly. Though a 40$ 6 series would be advised.

And you can rank different plugins based on compatability and accuracy. At the VERY, VERY least Glide 64 and Jabo’s plugins, for various reasons, are tied followed by Rice and then GL64. Not to say there aren’t some games that only run properly with Jabo’s or Rices. But you can’t sit there and say that the very active 10 year project of Glide64 results in only emulating Zelda properly, that’s just soooo inaccurate. Also, in the next release, Hi-res textures, so this plugin will have it all.

Also, I can't access your guide, I get nothing but "cannot display the webpage" errors.

Last edited:

Iconoclast

No, it does emulate a lot of things that others don't AS WELL as doing everything that others provide.
Glide64 is inferior to the other plugins combined, not better than.

Things that Rice's Video Plugin can do that no other official graphics plugin can:
  • *Texture dumping and export.
  • Rendering to texture emulation to fix issues that Glide64 can't.
  • *High-resolution texture loading.
  • The DirectX rendering engine as well as an OpenGL rendering engine that mudlord is currently improving.
  • SSE and frame skipping.
  • Combiner type and depth buffer customization in OpenGL mode.
  • Texture quality and color filtering settings and full or partial TMEM emulation.
  • Wide range of texture enhancement methods.
  • Use or nonuse of a normal alpha blender, normal color combiner, and accurate texture mapping to fix game issues.
  • Save VRAM for some of the lower end video cards.
  • More software frame buffer emulation settings including the blocking of frame buffer drawings to prevent conflicts with graphics emulation, whereas Glide64 must attempt (whether to succeed or sometimes it will fail on some effects) all frame buffer drawings.
  • Control of frame buffer write-back frequency to skip one-to-eight frames of frame buffer drawing for speed during testing.
  • Frame-update settings to clear excessive pixels (Force Buffer Clear to do so by force), speed up graphics emulation while still processing every frame but skipping the 'unseen', and fix texture update issues in games like Rogue Squadron.
  • Faster Loading Tiles option to increase tile texture loading and sometimes load more tiles.
  • Geometry hacks to fix issues in some games, hacks not used in any other graphics plugin.
  • CI width and ratio settings for PAL and NTSC ROMs.
  • Does not detect microcode. Will attempt emulation of games returning unsupported microcode errors to every other HLE graphics plugin.
*Supported by the private build of Jabo's Direct3D 1.7 for the beta versions of Project64.

Features supported by Jabo's Direct3D but by no other graphics plugin:
  • Choice of the RGB emulation, Direct3D HAL, and the referenced rasterizer rendering 'devices'.
  • Double and triple, vsynch or not buffer display modes.
  • Low-resolution (pixelated but faster) frame buffer emulation.
  • Disable internal geometry.
  • Choice of force depth compare or enable.
  • Screen clear modes unsupported by Rice's.
  • Self-rendered textures.
  • Adjust game aspect ratio.
  • Legacy pixel pipeline.
  • Direct3D transformation pipeline.
  • Jabo's Direct3D 7 also has some unique features of its own that I don't think should've ever been removed from 6 and 8.
Hell, even Lemmy's Direct3D 8, the so-known piece of crap graphics plugin on Nemu64? It's got some features of its own that no other plugin ever got:
  • Texture list display.
  • Logging graphics commands for debugging purposes.
  • VRML geometry export for 3-dimensional editing in some software programs.
  • Option to not use texture cache.
  • Z position clear and buffer forcing to fix some polyhedron display issues.
So, I know you must have a list of your own somewhere, so I'll leave that part to you.
I think this is a little ignorant and insulting. I really don’t want to fight about this and I do respect you as a member but I have to clear some stuff up. I am an anal perfectionist that’s been perfecting my N64 games for more than half a decade and have been active with helping out with Glide64 for the same amount of time. I know what this and other plugins can do. I think you need to spend some more time at the Glide64 forum to really see what it provides.
No, thank you. I've seen all the screenshots, I've seen the graphics issues it fixes that no other plugin does, but it is not the best graphics plugin, and if that sounds ignorant to you, and if that insults you, then I will still not stop until you face the truth. And I've seen the Glide compatibility list.
You mentioned that its only claim to fame is FB effects, well that’s what the N64 did and a plugin that doesn’t show these correctly is considered not accurate.
False. A plugin that doesn't show frame buffer effects is considered inaccurate with frame buffer emulation or unsupporting of. Glide64, Jabo's, Rice's, Direct64, and glN64 all support frame buffer emulation. Also false, the N64 did not do frame buffer effects. Frame buffer drawing is a DirectX and OpenGL feature. The N64's instructions were unique. Glide64 is nothing like the actual N64, and neither are any of the other plugins, except the ones that suck at emulation.
I think your thinking of GL64 here and again really an uneccessary comment.
It's called glN64 dude. I know what plugins I'm talking about.
This is Hack’s wrapper but has been drastically modified by Ziggy and Mudlord to be much faster and more accurate. This is what people should be using- bottom line. And this is what you should spend some time with to learn more about it.
Will do, if I can get it to work on this system. Will check eventually.
-Conker’s Bad Fur Day- Currently best emulated on Glide64. And if you take a look at what’s going on the Glide forums then you would know in the next release every FB will be emulated and the game WILL be perfect. Name another plugin that beats that.
-Banjo’s games- Hands down the winner as almost all effects are supported
-Beetle Adventure Racing – No bugs with cars or trees unlike every other plugin
-Excitebike 64 – Emulates shadows and the fog with no bugs unlike ANY other plugin-perfect emulation
-Zelda’s – Yes, perfect unlike any other plugin (name another with coronas)
-Lego Racers – Shows other racers perfectly- show me another plugin that does this game better.
-Mario Golf – Slightly better than Jabo’s best efforts
-Mario Party 2 – Less bugs in minigames than Jabos (thought Mario Party 3 is nearly perfect w/ Jabo 1.7)
-Paper Mario – Without question, best emulated on Glide64 as it emulates all FB effects/ much better than Jabo’s in this case. It like 2 different games between these plugins.
-Perfect Dark – More FB supported than Jabo’s with equivalent speed- so it has less bugs than Jabo’s which make it better to use.
-Rally Challenge 2000 – Umm… just boot the game to see which plugin is best.
-Space Invaders – Glide is perfect and tied with GL64 and Rice and Jabo’s have several bugs
This compatibility list is not 'undeniable' proof. It says nothing about the other plugins fixing those issues as well. Jabo's Direct3D also has its own comptability list on pj64-emu.com as well as extra plugin information that Glide64 does not, thanks to Smiff's end user support.

Well, out of those games that I have downloaded,

Banjo-Tooie's best graphics plugin is Jabo's Direct3D 6. Glide64 is slow during jigsaw puzzle challenge emulation, whereas Jabo's has options of speed so that the game is still playable but not excessively emulated in frame buffer emulation. Also emulates start screen just fine. Name one thing Glide64 can do that Direct3D 6 can't for this game.

Banjo-Kazooie is a similar story, only Glide64 emulates nothing in this game that Direct3D 8 does not, as well as some other graphics plugins once configuration is set.

For Excitebike 64, Rice's Video Plugin also emulates this. Just uncheck Normal Alpha Blender and this will be set in ini configuration for future times. Also, when I say there isn't a best graphics plugin, that more than well means there isn't a perfect graphics plugin.

For Paper Mario, only Rice's Daedalus 5.2.0 will fix the massive screen flickering that occurs in the city of Toad Town. Obviously, whoever tested this plugin for this game has never reached the city of Toad Town in this game.

Also, from the global-plugin/emulator combination lists of other websites:

For Beetle Adventure Racing, what about Jabo's Direct3D six? No issues.

For Lego Racers, what about Direct64?

For Mario Golf, what about Jabo's Direct3D 8 with legacy pixel pipeline checked?

For Mario Party 2, many lists suggest Rice's Video Plugin over Glide64.

For Rally Challenge 2000, game can be booted fine on Rice's and Jabo's.

For Space Invadors, a couple lists suggest glN64 over Glide64, for reasons unknown to me. Others say that they are tied, like you have said. Which means Glide64 does not surpass the other plugins for this game, even if they are tied.

So, I guess that just leaves Zelda and Perfect Dark. I can name so many more games than that that work better on Rice's than Glide64 and Jabo's than Glide64. From what I see, you are too focused on just the OpenGL plugins. Glide64 is the best OpenGL plugin, not the best plugin.
But you can’t sit there and say that the very active 10 year project of Glide64 results in only emulating Zelda properly, that’s just soooo inaccurate.
I never said that; I said Glide64 only emulates Zelda best. Many other plugins, including Direct64, emulate Zelda very nicely. Coronas are the only loss. If that sounds like improper emulation for missing just one thing to you, then I think you might be taking each small graphics glitch a little too seriously. Also, Glide64 has taken ten years of work. Jabo's has taken that and more so far. In my opinion, he's the plugin author working the hardest.

Legend

For Excitebike 64, Rice's Video Plugin also emulates this. Just uncheck Normal Alpha Blender and this will be set in ini configuration for future times.

The fog does not look a good as Glide64 nor does it have the HWFB shadows.

For Paper Mario, only Rice's Daedalus 5.2.0 will fix the massive screen flickering that occurs in the city of Toad Town. Obviously, whoever tested this plugin for this game has never reached the city of Toad Town in this game.

Try the damn plugin in this game. Jesus, there is no flickering in Toad Town anymore and on top of that, there's tens of other bugs that Rice's has here. So again this game is best played on Glide64 as FB shadows and many other FB transitions are supported and the game looks and play gorgeously.

For Beetle Adventure Racing, what about Jabo's Direct3D six? No issues.

It does not do the trees or the Psychedelic car as well so again, Glide's better.

For Lego Racers, what about Direct64?

It does not look half as good as Glide, so again no.

For Mario Golf, what about Jabo's Direct3D 8 with legacy pixel pipeline checked?

For this I'll give it a tie as both do stuff differently than the other.

For Mario Party 2, many lists suggest Rice's Video Plugin over Glide64.

Only for the reason that people are not trying Glide64, especially the new versions of wrapper and plugin.

For Rally Challenge 2000, game can be booted fine on Rice's and Jabo's

Yes, but the opening scene has the sweetest N64 FB effect, MOTION BLUR. And the rest of the game is perfect.

"False. A plugin that doesn't show frame buffer effects is considered inaccurate with frame buffer emulation or unsupporting of. Glide64, Jabo's, Rice's, Direct64, and glN64 all support frame buffer emulation. Also false, the N64 did not do frame buffer effects. Frame buffer drawing is a DirectX and OpenGL feature. The N64's instructions were unique. Glide64 is nothing like the actual N64, and neither are any of the other plugins, except the ones that suck at emulation."

The N64 did not do FB effects. Why would you even say such a weird thing? But the following is what the Glide64 author wrote. Who should I believe? Who should I believe? Oh yeah, the one who knows what he's talking about. If the plugin does not show a FB effect in a game, it is a bug. How can anyone deny that. If the N64 did it and the plugin does not, it is not freaking accurate. And the ones that suck at emulation are like the actual N64, that's another weird, nonsensical comment there buddy. :unsure:
"Glide64 now supports hardware frame buffer emulation. What does this mean?
N64 games often use auxiliary frame buffers to implement special game effects
like motion blur or for optimization purposes. The console can allocate as many
auxiliary frame buffers as needed and then use them as usual textures. PC video
cards usually use only one buffer for rendering, thus emulation of frame buffer
effects is always a hard problem. The usual method of emulation, which
theoretically should always work, is to render auxiliary frame buffer into main
video buffer and then read it from video memory into main memory and put into
the structure representing N64 memory (RDRAM)..."

You also mentioned the following features of other plugins:
*Texture dumping and export.
*High-resolution texture loading.
SSE and frame skipping.
Combiner type and depth buffer customization in OpenGL mode.
Texture quality and color filtering settings and full or partial TMEM emulation.
Wide range of texture enhancement methods.
Use or nonuse of a normal alpha blender, normal color combiner, and accurate texture mapping to fix game issues.
Save VRAM for some of the lower end video cards.
More software frame buffer emulation settings including the blocking of frame buffer drawings to prevent conflicts with graphics emulation, whereas Glide64 must attempt (whether to succeed or sometimes it will fail on some effects) all frame buffer drawings.
Control of frame buffer write-back frequency to skip one-to-eight frames of frame buffer drawing for speed during testing.
Frame-update settings to clear excessive pixels (Force Buffer Clear to do so by force), speed up graphics emulation while still processing every frame but skipping the 'unseen', and fix texture update issues in games like Rogue Squadron.
Faster Loading Tiles option to increase tile texture loading and sometimes load more tiles.
Geometry hacks to fix issues in some games, hacks not used in any other graphics plugin.
CI width and ratio settings for PAL and NTSC ROMs.
Does not detect microcode. Will attempt emulation of games returning unsupported microcode errors to every other HLE graphics plugin.
Choice of the RGB emulation, Direct3D HAL, and the referenced rasterizer rendering 'devices'.
Double and triple, vsynch or not buffer display modes.
Low-resolution (pixelated but faster) frame buffer emulation.
Disable internal geometry.
Choice of force depth compare or enable.
Screen clear modes unsupported by Rice's.
Self-rendered textures.
Adjust game aspect ratio.
Legacy pixel pipeline.
Direct3D transformation pipeline.
Jabo's Direct3D 7 also has some unique features of its own that I don't think should've ever been removed from 6 and 8.
Texture list display.
Logging graphics commands for debugging purposes.
VRML geometry export for 3-dimensional editing in some software programs.
Option to not use texture cache.
Z position clear and buffer forcing to fix some polyhedron display issues.

Well, this is all pretty fancy but I really only care about what I see. And what I SEE in my N64 games is that Glide64 displays everything, generally speaking, more properly than other plugins as a whole for my collection.

These features sound incredible but if can't play my game correctly than it does me (the end user) no good. Showing me this stuff is like telling a consumer about all the better things this Acura engine has over a BMW's, yet when the person goes to start it up, the car backfires and doesn't work. You can talk all day about how many valves per cylinder or nice the temperature controled seats are, but if it doesn't run, who gives a shit? Glide64 runs like a reliable Audi, it's not perfect, but is still one of the best out there, that is if you care about gameplay.

And you posted you last reply 4 times...

Last edited:
OP
D

dada123

hey guys ... be cool and don't fight each other ;)

we have to search for a solution which could fix our emulation problems :)
the thing we all know is, that after the n64 emulators (in this case i mean things like dolphin e.g.) nothing runs perfect because of the difficult emulation of console games on our pc's. its a matter of fact, that you need even for the n64 (its nearly 11 years old) a machine >3 ghz to let some games run perfectly and even if you have this kind of machine, some games won't even run perfect then. in my case, my machine is hard at the limit to emulate nba hang time just with the slowdown and i can be happy even with that issues. besides, did rice discontinued the work on his plugin? i think, if he would still work a little bit on it, his plugin would be able to run slow games perfectly.

so, now its time for me to return to my home :)

maybe i will post something this evening or tomorrow :)

cya

Legend

hey guys ... be cool and don't fight each other ;)

we have to search for a solution which could fix our emulation problems :)
the thing we all know is, that after the n64 emulators (in this case i mean things like dolphin e.g.) nothing runs perfect because of the difficult emulation of console games on our pc's. its a matter of fact, that you need even for the n64 (its nearly 11 years old) a machine >3 ghz to let some games run perfectly and even if you have this kind of machine, some games won't even run perfect then. in my case, my machine is hard at the limit to emulate nba hang time just with the slowdown and i can be happy even with that issues. besides, did rice discontinued the work on his plugin? i think, if he would still work a little bit on it, his plugin would be able to run slow games perfectly.

so, now its time for me to return to my home :)

maybe i will post something this evening or tomorrow :)

cya

Agreed Dada.

On the topic of Rice, I don't know. He has been MIA for a couple years so we can assume that maybe he's discontinued his work. I have'nt seen too many authors return after a 2 year sabbatical, but who knows. Thankfully this is one of the many projects Mudlord :borg: has taken over, so we'll see what he can do.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hangtime. It's one of my favorite games. But me personaly, I like to play my game in the best way possible. That's why I play Hangtime on Mame and Showtime on my PSX emulator. Two slightly different, yet awesome games emulated perfectly! I could not put up with slowdowns and such but that's me.

Last edited:
OP
D

dada123

*bling* question :)

is the hangtime from the n64 exactly the same which you can play in mame? (what a ryhme :) )
btw: agreed, too in the thing with "... i play every game in the best way how it works (mame and psx)"
it seems really difficult to get this problem fixed, but nevertheless we should stay tuned :)

Iconoclast

I am not fighting him, and he is not fighting me. I am simply debating to clear up a misunderstanding.
The fog does not look a good as Glide64 nor does it have the HWFB shadows.
What do you mean "doesn't look as good?" Screenshots, please. I'm not seeing any difference.
Try the damn plugin in this game. Jesus, there is no flickering in Toad Town anymore and on top of that, there's tens of other bugs that Rice's has here. So again this game is best played on Glide64 as FB shadows and many other FB transitions are supported and the game looks and play gorgeously.
You are overexaggurating. All of these bugs in Rice's can easily be fixed with some slight rendering to texture and nonuse of accurate texture mapping and some other advanced settings to be set in the .ini, while in Glide64, there are approximately 20 pixel bars on the top or bottom of the screen in this area.
It does not do the trees or the Psychedelic car as well so again, Glide's better.
Check "self-rendered textures" in Direct3D 6 1.5.2 plugin config under advanced options.
It does not look half as good as Glide, so again no.
They look the exact same to me.
Only for the reason that people are not trying Glide64, especially the new versions of wrapper and plugin.
Again, you are far from the only one who thinks Glide64 is the best graphics plugin. This says nothing about why Glide64 is better for this game, except once again a steretype of its general emulation properties of most games, not all of them. Now, if you said Mario Party, that would've been different. I have tested that game a month ago. That I have decided to work best in Glide64. But Mario Party 2? I'm not seeing Glide's win here.
The N64 did not do FB effects. Why would you even say such a weird thing? But the following is what the Glide64 author wrote. Who should I believe? Who should I believe? Oh yeah, the one who knows what he's talking about. If the plugin does not show a FB effect in a game, it is a bug. How can anyone deny that. If the N64 did it and the plugin does not, it is not freaking accurate. And the ones that suck at emulation are like the actual N64, that's another weird, nonsensical comment there buddy.
Your quote means nothing here. That has nothing to do with the N64 doing frame buffer effects. N64 emulation has frame buffer effects in it, not the way the actual N64 console executes the games. The actual console has software instructions of its own to process textures projecting on-screen display. If the N64 used frame buffer effects, then it wouldn't be able to show the TV in the character select in Jet Force Gemini as well as many other instances requiring pure frame buffer emulation to show, something that will run faster on your PC than your N64. The N64 is not better at OpenGL processing than your PC; it can't do OpenGL. Frame buffer drawings is just another word for drawings using an emulation effect known as frame buffer emulation. The N64 does not emulate its own games. That is why Glide64, nor any other HLE graphics plugin, is nothing like the way the actual N64 executes its games. The plugins that are are plugins like Jabo's Direct3D 8 1.7 in LLE graphics mode, a mode that makes graphics terrible and should only be used for testing purposes. That's why HLE is better than LLE, generally. There are some less than ten exceptional games needing LLE, but otherwise, LLE is so much slower and inaccurate with graphics. That's why the plugins that attempt to function as much like the N64 as possible fail to the ones that try to emulate everything about the N64. Glide64 is a pretty good graphics plugin, imo, but it is not the best. No graphics plugin is the best graphics plugin; they all outlaw each other. You'll see why once I give my list of games that work better in Rice's than any other graphics plugin, a list that is a little bigger than the one you gave....

And yes, you're right: Believe the one who actually knows what he's talking about. :p Come on, now, don't let that offend you; it's just a little friendly competition. We're both PJ64 beta members; we know things that the other doesn't.
Well, this is all pretty fancy but I really only care about what I see. And what I SEE in my N64 games is that Glide64 displays everything, generally speaking, more properly than other plugins as a whole for my collection.
I have many exceptions to that. For one, try starting Star Wars Rogue Squadron on Glide64. Now Glide64...displays nothing. XD Rice's is the only HLE graphics plugin that will boot the game. World Driver Championship. Star Wars Battle for Naboo. Stunt Racer 64. Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. I can keep the list coming. Rice's, however, is the only plugin that will even attempt to emulate these games. Even Top Gear Overdrive. Thought that worked best in Glide64? Rice's has a better configuration and output than Glide64 for that game, thanks to a nice deal of the features I have listed above. What you see, is not what you potentially could see, if you actually took the time to take advantage of Rice's having more features than Glide64 to fix issues via the INI config. INI configuration is a very important component of an N64 graphics plugin: All N64 games have their own instructions, what some could illegally call their own external 'BIOS' for the N64. These features aren't just for fanciness, they make Rice's succeed Glide in pretty much just as many games as vice versa. Want a list?
Glide64 runs like a reliable Audi, it's not perfect, but is still one of the best out there, that is if you care about gameplay.
A self-contradiction. A good deal of the games you mentioned working best in Glide64 were because of things that have nothing to do with gameplay, but based solely on cooler graphics. Rice's boots every N64 game in existence and is imo the most unique graphics plugin, but I do not belive it is the best, either. Glide64 fixes issues that Rice's doesn't; Rice's boots games and fixes some issues that Glide64 doesn't. You sure there's a win in competition here?
And you posted you last reply 4 times...
You know, the sad part is, I actually noticed that? I thought the EmuTalk server was down yesterday, but I kept submitting my post until it showed up, and it was down for the whole time I was online yesterday, so I gave up. Then I come on here today and find that my message was...clearly posted. XD I'm glad at least here I can delete my own posts, or else I'd be forked by the queen (queen, chess; moderators, EmuTalk).

Edit: Well, we USED to be able to delete our own posts...guess that means I'm pretty much fucked then. FUCKED BY THE QUEEN!

Last edited:
OP
D

dada123

my opinion about your little "plugin-debate" is, that NO plugin which is out there can emulate everything perfect, so we have to choose the plugin, which works best for the games we play. in my case for example, i have to use the rice video plugin for nba hangtime and jabos direct3d for super smash brothers and super mario 64 /mario kart 64. also i have sometimes to switch between the audio plugins.

Last edited: