What's new

Adaptoid, N64 controller and PJ64

batfastad

Hi everyone

I was wondering what the compatibility is like with the Adaptoid N64-USB adaptor, and the mem-packs in controllers?

Obviously with the N64 you could get save data within the cartridge, but also within the mempack.

Is it possible to use a mempack plugged into the controller with PJ64?
Or is there a way to download the data from the mempack to be used with PJ64?

Thanks
Ben

painkiller78

Well, I have an Adaptoid and I use it with Project64, you can configure it any DInput plugin out there, but if you if want to use real MemPack connected to the N64 Controller you must use Adaptoid PLugin, the one that comes with Project64 works fine, but there are games that ask for MemPack that says that you don't have one connected to the pad when you really have one, by example "SuperMan, Duke Nukem Zero Hour, Fighting Force, etc.
Others like Castlevania, Crusin USA, Nuclear Strike, MK4, PerfectDark, ShadowMan, RainbowSix, TopGear Rally, etc, work fine.
I think that must be some kind of issue with the plugin, I have tried other Adaptoid Plugin named for TR64 Emulator and it just crash the whole emulator when you use it with PJ64.
Maybe someone could have another solution or comment about this.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Well, I have an Adaptoid and I use it with Project64, you can configure it any DInput plugin out there, but if you if want to use real MemPack connected to the N64 Controller you must use Adaptoid PLugin, the one that comes with Project64 works fine, but there are games that ask for MemPack that says that you don't have one connected to the pad when you really have one, by example "SuperMan, Duke Nukem Zero Hour, Fighting Force, etc.
Others like Castlevania, Crusin USA, Nuclear Strike, MK4, PerfectDark, ShadowMan, RainbowSix, TopGear Rally, etc, work fine.
I think that must be some kind of issue with the plugin, I have tried other Adaptoid Plugin named for TR64 Emulator and it just crash the whole emulator when you use it with PJ64.
Maybe someone could have another solution or comment about this.

The last release of N-Rage's Input plugin supports the Adaptiod, the Adaptiod plugin is really not the best plugin to use (even being the official plugin and comparing them side by side N-Rage is by far the best). I am aware of an unofficial re-write of N-Rage's plugin, I am unsure of how compatable it is and I will test it out and see how it does, but anyway....

The Adaptiod is a wonderful device for any N64 emulator, it supports any Controller Pak, Rumble Pak. As for as the Transfer Pak (I need to find) and any other N64 device I am unsure about. It is a great investment and top of the line, I got mine 5 years ago and it still looks and runs like new.

:king:

Last edited:

painkiller78

I didn't know that NRage supported the Adaptoid.
I tried today and it's true, you must check RawData in the Controller Pack tab and a selection Adaptoid Pak will become available in the combo selector.
I tried with a few game and worked fine, but with Fighting Force 64 it makes the emulator runs very slowly, the r4300i in PJ64 status bar show almost 90-95% execution and the VI drops to 20-30, at least on my computer, don't know in a more powerful computer.
I have tried Castlevania 64, SuperMan, will try other games to see what happens.
Anybody have posted similar problem with the Adaptoid and NRage plugin?

painkiller78

are you using the old nrage plugin (2.0 v1.83) or the new one (2.0 v2.x)

The last debug build version V2 2.1-Debugbuild, downloaded from the overhaul thread here in emutalk, from the rabiddeity's signature date 4/5/2007 10:06AM.

Also, I noticed this, if I enabled the Adaptoid pak in the plugin, and start Zelda OoT, the game becomes very slow, if I assign a key to a shortcut for MemP<->AdaptoidP switching, and switch to a MemP simulated memory pak the game runs normally, but when I switch back to Adaptoid Pak, it slow down again.
The same behavior that in Fighting Force, extremely high r4300i emulation, and other cores running between 0-4% execution.
I know that Zelda doesn't use the MemPack, it used a battery backed ram, just got curious about this behavior.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
please post in the overhaul thread

also are you using the adaptoid drivers, it was found recently that there is a problem with them :/ and that just using the standard controller setup works

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
I think it slows down because OoT is a cartridge save game. It doesn't save to the Controller Pak. I'm not sure about Fighting Force though, never even heard of that game.