What's new

I have a crappy video card. Should I even bother trying to use project 64?

Kefky

I have a pretty decent comp. It's several generations old but it fits project64's requirements pretty well. I just installed it, and it runs okay, but I'm having some weird sounds with the picture and sound. Now, I know I should try using different plug-ins and other such things, before I even bother doing that, I thought I'd ask if it's a lost cause. Here's my video card, copied straight from my device manager:

SiS 650\651\740\661FX\741\760

Yes, yes, I know it sucks. You don't have to mock me. People already do that. Just answer the question, please. :) Is my video card compatible with projec64?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It all depends on the video plugin you use. Yes, it's possible to play, but don't expect miracles (in other words, expect a lot of graphic issues).

Iconoclast

You should be able to answer that question for yourself more easily than we can.

Try starting a game on Project64. Does the ROM load, or do you get an error message:

"Failed to start emulation because plugins have not been successfully installed."

Or something like that?

If it doesn't work, you'll need to switch to either Nemu64 (which will be quite slow but still working on a low-end video card) or 1964 (which is the fastest with one of the crappiest graphics plugin, at least relatively).

Edit: Yeah, video plugins is the primary factor here. If you don't know how to change them, don't worry about it yet: Try using both of these emulators if PJ64 doesn't work.

OP
K

Kefky

Alright, I just wanted to know if there was any hope for me. :) I'll take that as a yes, and fiddle with those plug-ins a bit.