What's new

Zelda Majora's Mask - SAVE HELP!!!

bAsILiSkO

Hi! The problem is that I can't save the game on the N64 memory file and also when I start the game the entry is lost.
I think that the problem is caused that the last time I played the game after almost 10 hours it have crashed. Instead of start the game normally I used the last save state of the emulator....... :(
Someone know any solution????

Iconoclast

You need the Song of Time. Play the Song of Time to save your game progress, let the scene finish, and the progress will be saved. If not, then you must've deleted Project64.rdb or something.

OP
B

bAsILiSkO

I already try to save with the song of time and the owl statue, but nothing happened.
I also try to start a new adventure (with the same name of the oldest) and save when I got the song of time, then I load the savestate and save again, but it deleted the new adventure and left the save-slot empty.
I'm sure that I haven't deleted project64.rdb or some other file.
The game simply freeze while I was playing, I close Projetc64 and load the save state and then I restarted to play..... but I didn't immagine that this will cause this problem :(

Iconoclast

Wait...so, you can use save states to save your game instead? Isn't that the solution to your problem?? You play the Song of Time, and you go back to Day 1.

If you can't even save, then what good is transferring a save state? Just install Mupen64 and start over on the game.

OP
B

bAsILiSkO

Yes I know that I can use the savestate function to save the game, but to get the Fierce Deity's Mask you have to lose all the 20 masks, then when you finish the game it will save automatically and will give you a file with all the 20 masks plus the Fierce Deity's Mask.
In my situation I think that when I will finish the game I won't find anything :(
So I hope to find a way to restore the save in the memory card file and at the same time to avoid restarting the game again.
Anyway do you think that Mupen64 is better than Project64??
Thank you for all the replies :D

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Ha ha. Iconoclast, you're such a diehard mupen64 fan. It's as if switching to that emu will solve everything!

I say he should reinstall project64 OVER the screwy version, and see if that helps at all. He may have moved a file, or even deleted it. Reinstalling it over the damaged version should fix everything.

After he's done that, he can open his latest save state, and then save his game internally with the owl or the Song of Time.

Everybody wins!

Iconoclast

Ha ha. Iconoclast, you're such a diehard mupen64 fan. It's as if switching to that emu will solve everything!

I say he should reinstall project64 OVER the screwy version, and see if that helps at all. He may have moved a file, or even deleted it. Reinstalling it over the damaged version should fix everything.

After he's done that, he can open his latest save state, and then save his game internally with the owl or the Song of Time.

Everybody wins!
Oh, and what makes you think your suggestion's any better? At least I don't reply to threads without reading carefully what I'm replying to, first. He just said he's sure he didn't delete Project64.rdb or any other file, so your suggestion isn't so helpful.

I'm not a fan of any N64 emulator. They all have their own flaws, but Mupen64 emulates the Zelda games better than the other three. Maybe that's why you've seen me suggesting it so much, lately? The reason I suggested it here was because the core emulator of Mupen64 uses a different method to save game progress than Project64's. It uses FlashRAM, so it will change the way the game is saved and almost certainly fix his problem.

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Oh, and what makes you think your suggestion's any better? At least I don't reply to threads without reading carefully what I'm replying to, first. He just said he's sure he didn't delete Project64.rdb or any other file, so your suggestion isn't so helpful.

I'm not a fan of any N64 emulator. They all have their own flaws, but Mupen64 emulates the Zelda games better than the other three. Maybe that's why you've seen me suggesting it so much, lately? The reason I suggested it here was because the core emulator of Mupen64 uses a different method to save game progress than Project64's. It uses FlashRAM, so it will change the way the game is saved and almost certainly fix his problem.
I'm sorry if I offended you, Iconoclast. It should be noted that I actually have a great deal of respect for you.

Thank you for your explanation, anyway. I still think my suggestion might be worth a try, simply because if there's a chance he can save his progress, he should take it. It sucks to have your progress wiped - everyone on this board has been there.

I did not mean to say that my suggestion was any better than your's, at any rate. I only meant to comment that I'd seen you suggest Mupen64 a whole lot, lately.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
oh and Iconoclast, shove Mupen up your ass, the OP is asking about how to fix an issue with PJ64, and seeing as this is the PJ64 section, NOT the REFER EVERYONE TO MUPEN section, we should stick to doing that.

we should only refer people to another emulator, if we can't get it working at all.

Iconoclast

Ah, it's alright, then, Enzo. Yeah...sorry if I seem like I'm trying to convert everyone here to a different emulator just because of my personal emulator beliefs.
we should only refer people to another emulator, if we can't get it working at all.
Okay, buddy. Let's see what you can do to help this guy out, then. Disk-checker certainly ain't going to fix a saving issue, that's for sure.

Btw, there are also times where another emulator works better than the one being originally used, and Mupen64, in the case of Zelda, is an example of that, as it takes more advantage of Glide64. I only figured, why not improve his graphics and fix his saving problem at the same time? Show us all a better solution.

squall_leonhart

that maybe so, but what if the guy didn't want to use Mupen eh?

the save issue in most cases is an easy fix.

chkdsk is a good place to start as a messed up mft can cause file write issues.

but, its more likely the directories aren't set up properly.

OP
B

bAsILiSkO

Ok, thank you all for the replies :D
First I have completely removed Project64 and reinstalled it again then I have changed only the settings for the rom directory and the pad buttons, but nothing have changed.
I don't think that It's a disk problem because if I start a new game all work correctely and I also try to save on another pc.
Anyway could someone try to save with the save state then move out the ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK.fla file and try to save with the song of time or the owl statue and then restart the game and check if there is a correct entry in the save slot.
If on your pc will work I think that maybe it's a ROM problem.
Thank you all :D

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

theres your problem.

Save states, when loaded, replace all data with whatever the save state contains, this includes battery saves.

if you wish to use battery saves + save states, you should battery save first, that way, the save state will contain the new battery save.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Most emulators always include SRAM contents in save states (hell, they are emulator states after all) unless there is a specific option in the emulator that doesn't save SRAM to save states.

Last edited:

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
hmm...I don't know if this is a similar situation but when I started N64 emulation with PJ64 1.4, I played Banjo-Kazooie with save states then half way through changed to native saves and it kept working like normal, I eventually beat the game again(once on N64, once on emulator) and was happy! The Majora's Mask saving might be different though.