What's new

no$gba emulator author wants our help!

spotanjo3

I saw on Martin Korth's page that he's complaining that he hasn't received enough feedback regarding bug reports for this latest version, so if anyone here communicates with him let him know that his link to the forums is dead to send him the reports.

Please?! Help him out, ok ? If you found the bugs..just leave it in here and I will email your message and your name to him and he will look into it. :)

WhiteX

I had him to go to Lowlines compat list but he is on DialUp so the flash plugin scared him away, we could have a plain TXT file with the compat results to send him for the nature of this board with pictures and all scared him away also.

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

LOL. Can we do it ? Just description and bugs in plain text will do just fine. :)

WhiteX

I got no time to assemble it, my kid is kinda sick, if you do it, you are free to email him the results and if you don´t want to, i´ll do it.

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

I will collect all informations from people like you for the test and bugs and I will put everything in .txt and send to the author. Now, people...work on it, please ? :D

diablow

OK, I'll try to test some homebrew and other stuff, I think I saw some rom-crashes recently. Oh yeah, one little thing to work on is SOUND emulation :). Desmume somehow has got it right. Also crashes could print out some error codes, or write debug info - it would be much easier to find bugs then. Automatical backup memory type selection would be nice also. FAT emulation for homebrew would be great addittion for developers.
Enough with the feature requests, on to testing.

Problems with games:

0830 - Picross DS (J) - rom-image crash after selecting input type.

DS Download Demos (only those with issues are listed):

Mario vs Donkey kong 2: March of the Minis - works, transparent gfx.
Elite Beat Agents - missing top/bottom screen, no bottom background in how-to, hangs before game.
Brain Age Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! - black screen.
Big Brain Academy - works minor gfx errors (black buttons).
Magnetica - works, minor graphics errors (transparent msg box and marbles in top screen intro).
Metroid Prime Hunters - works, slow, problems with menu.
True Swing Golf - menu only, minor gfx errors (some transparent images on top screen), hangs before ingame.
Mario Kart DS Demo - "rom image has crashed".
Pokémon Trozei Demo - works, minor gfx errors (some transparent graphics).
Meteos Demo - works, gfx errors (some graphics are missing, blocks sprites are transparent).
Submarine Tech Demo - freezes right after start.
Table Hockey Tech Demo - works, gfx error (sparks effect when paddle hits the ball).
Zelda Preview Trailer - blank screen, but it seems that demo is running.
Famicom Wars demo - works, gfx errors (main map sprites are cut off).
Ganbare Goemon demo - works, gfx errors (menu top screen missing background, ingame missing 2D backdrop).
Jump Super Stars demo - works, gfx errors (main menu bottom screen background missing, ingame some transparent sprites and message boxes).
Trauma Center: Under the Knife - works, stucks on screen before operation.
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin clip - bottom screen black, audio plays.
Cooking Mama demo - works, gfx errors (no background on bottom screen), slow.
Eragon demo - hangs after starting game.
Tomb Raider Legend demo - black screen after choosing language.

Comparing to earlier version the compatibility has increased, no degradations found (except the submarine tech demo - now splash screen doesn't show up) while testing demos. Still one of more noticable problems is blending (some images are transparent).

Emulator bugs:
* after saving settings with selected NDS Cartridge Backup Media FLASH 512KBytes, no$gba won't start next time, giving unexpected error. (To fix it now you need to remove the line with "FLASH 512KBytes" entry in NO$GBA.ini). Same problem with "FLASH 256KBytes".
* Screenshot (PrintScreen button) causes crash.
* Loading saved state doesn't work right.

Last edited:
OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

Car (U) - Fully playable, a little bit slow, some gfx errors but everything else is fine.

Edit: I sent your information include mine to no$gba author today. Thanks!

Last edited:

diablow

I've found a solution to the bug where background doesn't show up, like in Ganbare Goemon and Elite Beat Agents demos and maybe some others. In "Emulation Setup" options select "Allow 3D Rear Alpha" to "yes". As it is marked untested, some new problems might turn up. I had no problems while using it yet.

Here's the updated list from above, fully working demos have been removed:
Mario vs Donkey kong 2: March of the Minis - works, transparent gfx.
Elite Beat Agents - hangs before game.
Brain Age Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! - black screen.
Magnetica - works, minor graphics errors (transparent msg box and marbles in top screen intro).
Metroid Prime Hunters - works, slow, problems with menu.
True Swing Golf - menu only, minor gfx errors (some transparent images on top screen), hangs before ingame.
Mario Kart DS Demo - "rom image has crashed".
Pokémon Trozei Demo - works, minor gfx errors (some transparent graphics).
Meteos Demo - works, gfx errors (some graphics are missing, blocks sprites are transparent).
Submarine Tech Demo - freezes right after start.
Table Hockey Tech Demo - works, gfx error (sparks effect when paddle hits the ball).
Zelda Preview Trailer - blank screen, but it seems that demo is running.
Ganbare Goemon demo - works, problem with 3D lighting(?).
Jump Super Stars demo - works, gfx errors (ingame some sprites and message boxes are transparent).
Trauma Center: Under the Knife - stucks on screen before operation.
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin clip - bottom screen black, audio plays.
Eragon demo - hangs after starting game.
Tomb Raider Legend demo - black screen after choosing language.

EDIT: While testing these demos again I remembered one more feature which would be nice to have - a bigger distance between screens, like in real NDS.

Last edited:
OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

I already knew about Allow 3D Rear Alpha which I mentioned in no$gba 2.3b thread somewhat. :)

ag1

Hope I'm about to late. Here are some test results
Spiderman 2 -- the emulator crashes when going into the first stage (unexpected error )
ultimate Spiderman -- the emulator crashes in the middle of the intro(unexpected error)
Spiderman: Battle for New York -- the emulator crashes in the middle of the intro (unexpected error)

ag1

I tried these as well
Hotel dusk room 215 -- the ROM image has crashed (this is with encrypted ROM file)
InuYasha secret of the divine jewel -- the game freezes in the middle of intro (the emulator does not crash)

ag1

And I thought these might help too...
X-Men the official game -- the game freezes when going into the first stage
Avatar to last air bender -- the game freezes when going into the first stage
Superman returns -- the game freezes when selecting Superman symbols before going into first stage
Pok幦on diamond and Perl -- the game freezes showing the company logo
thanks a lot rockmangames for relaying the information

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

Hey, ag1..please edit rather than double posts or triple posts, ok ? ;)

You're welcome! :D

EDIT: Your information with your name is being sent to the author in the email, already. :D

Last edited:

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
Errors per second -- 577
Total Errors -- 381,308
Low Power Mode -- Okay
Multiboot Support -- Unsupported (file too large)
Quality Rating -- Medium (normal GBA program code)

0820_-_Phoenix_Wright_Ace_Attorney_-_Justice for all
sound is MESS UP

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

I got his email and look at those things solved thanks to me because I report such as gba mode multiplayer is now worked fine! Now I am working to help him out, finally! Yay! Please help me out so I can collect your informations and of course your names to him so he can look into it because he really need our help and he can't test nds roms since he is on dialup. He can but he do not want to stare at the computer, lol. :p

Hi (blank -- sorry my real name erase for privacy)

Thanks, the "download demos" look pretty useful, more or less legal freeware, and (relative) not too much bloated. Just downloaded two of them, and found 2-3 bugs, and working on fixing them.

Oh, something else. There should be a new option called "Allow 3D Rear Alpha" which I haven't tested since my computer doesn't support that 3d effect. Could you give it a try, and let me know what happens? It not crash, and, if it works, it show 2D backgrounds behind of the 3D layer.

Ah, and gba-mode multiplayer mode should be working again, and up-down un-mirrored 3D images should be working with all 3D cards now. Let me know if either still doesn't work!

Cu, Martin