What's new

Feature: On loading a ROM go to full screen

Should this feature be turned on when first installed?

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters

zilmar

Emulator Developer
One of the settings we have is that when you start a rom then it will go to full screen. This is on by default and one of the first settings I do turn off, this is more because I am testing and find it annoying. What do other people think, should we have this on as the default or have it so you have to manually make it go to fullscreen?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Fullscreen mode is great but... Considering the need to change the configuration of the plugins and the emu on many games, the need to find the best configuration on some by messing with many settings and the need to switch back to window mode to enable "sync game to audio" every time you run a different game (in order to avoid sound clicking and achieve more correct speed) the automatic switching to fullscreen (even when you make a fresh install) can be irritating.

D.Farougia

I prefer to start in windowed mode because the speed is increased in this mode, if I want to test some options and to see the result quickly.

When it's ok, it's not boring to type "ESC", so, I definitively prefer to start in Windowed mode.

Iconoclast

On systems unfortunate enough, full screen mode can be dangerous unless the graphics plugin is properly configured for the right resolution and refresh rate. If one can find the configuration for these settings, that person can find the configuration to enter full screen manually as well as set it to happen the moment a ROM is loaded. Most people are used to the whole Alt+Enter shortcut to do the trick, anyway, for those other programs. I think it is already obvious enough how to manually enter full screen.

Besides, making it run in window mode adds the uniqueness to emulating the game instead of playing it on the actual N64, and it also allows for opening GameShark cheats and other menu commands. For these reasons, windowed mode on default seems much better and safer.

Jale

N00bis Hi-Res Texture Maker
I prefer windowed unless I'm playing on a secondary display device such as TV or not using cheats. By the way, is it just too much to press Alt + Enter? :unsure:

EDIT: Seems like most of us agree with the Alt + Enter method :)

Last edited:

Inorigi no Yume

Dream of the Fayth
I prefer it to stay windowed until I tell it otherwise.
Ditto.jpg

Tre

Oops. Died again.
While I can agree that it's a smart idea to have PJ64 start windowed (for most users), and then switch to fullscreen manually, I actually prefer to start my games off in fullscreen. I don't like having to hit Escape every time I want to jump to fullscreen... yeah, call me lazy, but I've actually set up my games so I just click the rom and jump to fullscreen. It just works best for me to click the rom and go from there.

I guess by "default" it wouldn't need to just jump to fullscreen from rom load, but I would love to have the option to do so from the settings (like v1.6). That's not getting removed from the settings, is it?

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
While I can agree that it's a smart idea to have PJ64 start windowed (for most users), and then switch to fullscreen manually, I actually prefer to start my games off in fullscreen. I don't like having to hit Escape every time I want to jump to fullscreen... yeah, call me lazy, but I've actually set up my games so I just click the rom and jump to fullscreen. It just works best for me to click the rom and go from there.

I guess by "default" it wouldn't need to just jump to fullscreen from rom load, but I would love to have the option to do so from the settings (like v1.6). That's not getting removed from the settings, is it?

Not going to be removed at all .. still going to be there. The question was should this be the default when you first install as it is in 1.6. Seems like the answer is no. So once you have things configured you still can just turn the option on.

Toasty

Sony battery
As long as the option is still there to have it go full-screen on load, I'm happy whether it's the default or not. Most people seem to like windowed start-up by default though, so I shall cast my vote for that. :p

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
i guess pressing ALT + ENTER when you start isn't such a big deal and you can still change the options so ill live with default windowed