What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Virtual Chess 64 Hi-Res

Iconoclast

I have no idea how you all transform the game's textures so well using Photoshop, but, using Paint Shop Pro 7, I designed my own small retexturing for Virtual Chess 64.

Screenshots of before:

VIRTUALCHESS-0.jpg

VIRTUALCHESS-1.jpg

VIRTUALCHESS-2.jpg

Screenshots of after:

VIRTUALCHESS-3.jpg

VIRTUALCHESS-4.jpg

VIRTUALCHESS-5.jpg

A pretty small retexture, but worthy changes.

A.I.

Banned
I downloaded with Winrar but it came up file is corrupt or damaged and when I opened folder it was empty... :(

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

I just tried it with WinRAR. You probably got a corrupt download. Try downloading it again or using WinZip or something like that to open it.

A.I.

Banned
Thanks! I downloaded it again and success! Chess board and pieces look nice and polished!

Just a thought, would it be possible to replace the chess pieces with textures from Super Mario 64? It would be cool having a Mario army! :drool:

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Though I've never played the game, that seems doubtable. The pieces are probably models, so replacing it with a texture from mario would just either not work because of aspect ratio issues, or if properly resized look like you took a picture of mario and stretched it across a mario piece. Also, it looks like some of the pieces share textures, so you could run into problems there.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Actually, I think it is possible. Yeah, I could do that. Resize them down to 64x64 pixels, maybe take a screenshot of Mario, erase the background around him so it's transparent, turn a picture of him into a texture and the like. Still, I don't think it would look very good. I would need a "bird's eye" view of the characters to make valid chess character textures.

Plus, there's the question of which characters become which pieces.
  • White
    • King: Mario?
    • Queen: Peach
    • Rook: ?
    • Bishop: ?
    • Pawn: Toad
  • Black
    • King: Bowser
    • Queen: ?
    • Rook: ?
    • Bishop: Koopa the Quick?
    • Pawn: Gremlin

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Yes, the 2d board could be easily done, but I still have my doubts about the 3d pieces. Unless they are all 2d sprites, I just don't see it being easy to do. From what I've seen of in game textures, they probably just used a wood and a teal wood texture for the pieces, not separate ones for each piece. But then, still, I don't have this game and don't know how its done. Best of luck in whatever can be done!

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Oh, I see what you meant. I didn't know you were talking about 3-D. Yeah...trying to retexture the 3-D pieces would just not be possible to make them look like characters like Mario. It would just be wrong.

2-D, however, can easily be done. A.I., if you want find me images of 2-D versions of game characters like Mario, I'll try to make a Mario army. However, I can't right now, because I don't have enough info. I need to know which pieces would be which characters.

A.I.

Banned
Oh, I see what you meant. I didn't know you were talking about 3-D. Yeah...trying to retexture the 3-D pieces would just not be possible to make them look like characters like Mario. It would just be wrong.

2-D, however, can easily be done. A.I., if you want find me images of 2-D versions of game characters like Mario, I'll try to make a Mario army. However, I can't right now, because I don't have enough info. I need to know which pieces would be which characters.

O.K. That would be great! It might have to wait until after the new year, though, if it's alright with you. I got a stack load of DVDs to get through! Plus I don't know it its too much X-mas food but I'm feeling really lazy atm! Unless somebody more enthusiastic with a better idea than me wants to take on the task then go right ahead! Oh that reminds me when are you going to release your next config list?

Last edited: