What's new

Winphin Christmas Surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolqube

Winphin Developer
I know its been a long time since everyone has seen me.
Life has been tough lately (with school and stuff).
I am here to update a status report.

Winphin is a gamecube emulator I started from scratch.
Graphics Emulation is pretty good (better than gcube)but still not as good as Dolphin.

The beauty of this Emulator will be its speed. :drool:

I am adding IA-64 (intel 64 bit) support in the next few days and hopefully I can keep the dual core compatibility Up.

It supports quite a range of games now (I hope to catch up with dolphin this centuary ) =]

I am not promising anything but I hope there will be a first release before christmas... HoHoHo :evil:

Sercio

Sounds good! What will winphin support on my AMD X2? Would i get really boostet framerates with my 4800+ ? If yes you could call youself a hero ;)

OP
dolqube

dolqube

Winphin Developer
This notice is NOT for newbies. Im getting into detail here.

CPU Emulation.

Gekko specific instructions
Basecally the paired-single instruction are stored in registers.
With real exception checking.

the recompiler has become quite complicated. for example.

if an add instruction was used this would be generated in asm (Nothing Special Right)
lets say reg gpr0 was used and gpr1 was the destination. EDX was used for gpr0

Now lets say the next instruction was addi. and the dest this time was gpr0
A basic recompiler would load the reg again from memory. lets say the reg always used for the dest was EAX. A basic recompiler would load gpr0 to EDX.

Not with my updated ver it know that gpr0 is already in eax and used that as the dest without reloading. :king:

Now picture that with millions of instructions per second.
Now you see where the speed will come from.

Then ontop of that you may see this with pcsx2 the graphics is on another core (thread). :evil:

its roughley 5 times faster than dolphin for speed only. (still a few bugs around though) :evil:

dolphin has better compat as you could imagine :santa:

OP
dolqube

dolqube

Winphin Developer
It alread supports amd64 dual cores. (not as fast as core 2 duo)

my bud who lives near me has core 2 duo extreme and its a monster.

lets just say +25 fps in windwaker.

I want to ask also if anyone has vista and would consider beta testing for me.

Last edited:
OP
dolqube

dolqube

Winphin Developer
Ill let you know as soon as possible. (you seem relyable enough)
I pm you within the next day or two

Alan!

too cynical to speak
I too would enjoy being a beta tester. I'm pretty good at filing bug reports because of my knowledge of C++/ASM. I can probably tell what line of code is causing a certain problem if I had access to the source (not asking for it). Being a beta tester for this would be nice. :]

Last edited:

emwearz

I would love to be a tester (while I dont have Windows Vista I do run a dual boot of Windows XP / Windows XP 64 for testing some of those 64 bit features) I also have a fairly recent rig which should get some nice results.

As for if im trust worthy and what not, Im a mod over at NGemu (PCSX2 section) If you wanna give me a quick search over.

ector

Emulator Developer
In any case, Dolphin in 64-bit dual core mode now also does 25-30 fps in Wind Waker on some Core 2 Duo monster machines.. 13-15 on my 3800+ X2.

Oh, and please post some screens if this is real.

zaba_3

Im 100% sure this isnt fake because this guy also did new patch to gcube if i remember correctly.
But some teaser shots would be nice :)

Sercio

In any case, Dolphin in 64-bit dual core mode now also does 25-30 fps in Wind Waker on some Core 2 Duo monster machines.. 13-15 on my 3800+ X2.

Oh, and please post some screens if this is real.

Uhm ector you forgot that dolphin reach this status only at your system :p

Edit: I think gamecube emulation lives again....

Last edited:
OP
dolqube

dolqube

Winphin Developer
you really are an anxious bunch.
There is no point posting screenshots because they will be immediatly called fake.
Sounds good but it randomcrashes too much for my likings

OP
dolqube

dolqube

Winphin Developer
ector if you remember a while back shizzy said that gekko uses dolphins video plugin
can I get some specs on how to import it and what exactly the plugin emulates.

I want to do a bit of testing with gfx which is very bad (compared with dolphin)
its gfx emulation is roughley at about the same level as gcemu.

O and Ive been looking at my sources for weeks trying to fix the "cant change video mode from 0 to 1 forbidden" i had to write patches for the gcms like windwaker to boot

monk fixes this problem in one of his sources but I cant pin point where it is exactly.

I do know that he does something like setting the video mode before it boots.
But I cant get something like that to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.