What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

GoldenEye 007?

reubenb46

does anyone know of any projects to retexture goldeneye? or at least give it a higher resolution?

or perfect dark?:bouncy:

macphisto

Believe me, if it were possible, I would be working on it instead rather than Banjo. For me, Goldeneye is the greatest game ever made. I know people will argue OOT is or even Mario 64, but what makes GE better than those two is the sheer adictivness of both the single player and the multi player. It had it all. The problem with retexturing it, is that the plugin doesnt seem to dump any of the PNG's needed, rather than alpha-looking bitmaps. Odd.

Vinilipe

Brazillian EmuTalk Member
yep...
there were two goldeneye projects (one multi and other singleplayer)
and two PD projects.... but they are dead now...
thats too bad!

Cyberman

If the textures aren't dumped by the plugin there is nothing one can do. Even then there is no guarentee if you can get the textures to work either.

Cyb

Vinilipe

yep.
But there is one problem with PD.
It dumps all the textures twice with different names (maybe one for the hi-res and one for the low-res)...

macphisto

Can someone upload a folder with the first level of GE texture dump? Whenever I dump textures in the game, they are like silver negatives or something. That's the best way I can describe them.

Iconoclast

It is possible to dump the textures from GoldenEye 007. Believe it or not, those PNG images you get when you have Dump Textures to Files option enabled in Rice's Video Plugin, those ARE the textures. They may not seem like it. They may just be greyscale images, but they are all of the textures used in the part of the game you logged the texture for. If my knowledge of N64 ROMs is correct enough, I'd say that the N64 ROM colorizes the textures in special ways to give them color while they are initially gray textures. This can be simulated using Macromedia Flash Professional 8's advanced coloring effect.

I did make an attempt to make a Flash SWF imitation of the GoldenEye menus, but I temporarily stopped because of stress I'm having with school right now. I'm pretty sure that it is possible to make a hi-res texture project for this game. I don't know how to transform the images like you all do; I don't know how to make those projects you all are doing; I'm just the one loading them in Rice's who knows how the loading process works as well as the dumping.

Vinilipe

so isn't this whole forum illegal?
I mean, if you are retexturing, u take texture dumps, edit them...
I just think it shouldn't be a problem unless the texture dump is from new games i guess

WhiteX

One thing is to dump your game and have your work distributed, another thing is to dump your game and have the insides of it distributed, it is the same of sharing a ROM.

Cyberman

so isn't this whole forum illegal?
I mean, if you are retexturing, u take texture dumps, edit them...
I just think it shouldn't be a problem unless the texture dump is from new games i guess
The companies don't just copyright the ROM. I think that's the error you are comiting. The entire content is copyrighted. Textures etc. are seperately copyrighted. The copyright specifys each component as part of the game. Thus if you take a model and it's textures from a game modify them to 3ds format and upload them too 3d model page, you have violated the games copyright. If the company finds it, they will hunt you down. If you own the game you may extract the content and play with it as much as you want, the moment you distribute it, you are in violation. Many companies are upset you can even extract it. (Nintendo and Squenix are particularly pissy about that) Remember the characters are TRADEMARKED as well so if you decide to make a Mario character and distribute it.. be prepared to get sued as well.

High rez texturing is iffy if one is modifying the original content and distributing it as a new version. A lot of the textures people make are new, so these aren't in violation. I recomend you think about these things long before ripping out textures and giving them too other people. It's not just if you SELL it distributing that will get you. This is why there are NO ROM images available here, nor do we wish you talking about where to get them or providing links for them. Hence you get banned instantly for that.

Cyb

Iconoclast

Okay, just to be on topic, I wanted to include a little example of why GoldenEye 007 is such a difficult game to retexture.

You remember that background image in the File Select screen of GoldenEye 007? It isn't too easy to see with all those file icons in the way, but that 440x440 pixel image...is really just a bunch of separate images that are 440 pixels in width and 1 pixel in height that are put together. So, Rice's Video Plugin doesn't dump a bunch of seperate 32x32, 48x48, etc. tiled textures of special images in that game; it dumps a bunch of x pixels wide and 1 pixel tall images, at least for some textures. For others, like the Copy and Erase icon textures in the File Select screen, the whole thing is successfully dumped, but it's upside down. It looks real obvious that Nintendo programmed the textures of this game in such an absurd way with the intention of slowing down N64 emulation progress.

Cyberman

I've noticed

That many of the games handle the texture loading into ROM as segmented steps. This is likely a function of the library as I have noticed it does something similiar in Duke Nukem Zero Hour. Very anoying when you have several hundred textures as a result LOL.
The fact is that there seems to be a limit to what size the textures are in the library when they are uploaded. For example the 320x240 bitmaps that are loaded are broke up into 320x6 ( < 2K bytes)* 40 bitmaps with 8 bits per pixel. 128 pixel wide 8bpp are 128x16 (2L?) 64x64 textures are 4 bits (that 2K limit again). 192x21 4bpp ( < 2K). 80x51 4bpp (2040 < 2K) etc.

That's Duke Nukem Zero Hour's rule of textures at least. Anoying as it is :D

Looking at Conkers Bad Fur Day, same deal. It limits all textures to <=2K bytes in size.

Cyb

Clements

I believe that these small textures as you describe were used due to the N64's limited 4KiB texture cache. I read about that in the N64's Wikipedia article, not sure of the accuracy of that.

SubDrag

You can download the full listing of Goldeneye ROM Images from The Rare Witch Project

Download the Full GE Rom Image Viewer. You can also replace images using the Goldeneye ROM Image Editor 1.1. It won't be hi-res, but it's still cool, and it's permanent in the ROM.