What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

I'm going to retexture Super Mario 64....

picartman

But i have one question before i begin, is there any way to dump every single texture of the game at once?

Last edited:

Aurelian

Maverick Hunter
hope you succeed in retexturing Super Mario 64, the retexture pack i downloaded for it wasn't as good as a retexturing for something like Banjo-Kazooie or OoT or MM, so hope you do a good job!

Vinilipe

Brazillian EmuTalk Member
not that I know...
But dumping all textures at once isn't a good thing.
You have to know where each texture belongs to in the game to retexture it right...

OP
P

picartman

not that I know...
But dumping all textures at once isn't a good thing.
You have to know where each texture belongs to in the game to re texture it right...

so tell me if this is correct

check dump textures to files
load game
begin a new file
start the game and walk around the area
then ill end the emulation and i have the textures for the out side of peaches castle?

then ill load the saved file (the file i created in super mario) enter the castle, make a save (from the emulator PJ64)
end emulation then load that recent save and then i have the textures in the castle?

and do i have to repeat this for every single "painting" world etc?

btw this is the first time ive ever attempted this, ill just change the trees grass and dirt textures to something more pleasant, but the rest ill simply make it look better, i wont actually replace any textures because i want people to play the game and enjoy the textures but not distract them from the original, so the bricks will look more like bricks the water more like water etc etc.

it will take me a while but ill be sure to make a new thread and devote my time to it and notify of any changes at all :)

hope you succeed in retexturing Super Mario 64, the retexture pack i downloaded for it wasn't as good as a retexturing for something like Banjo-Kazooie or OoT or MM, so hope you do a good job!

thanks a lot for the support :) ill do my best

heres the castle wall, do u guys like mine better? (left)

remember i want criticism please

ImageShack - Hosting :: untitledkm8.jpg

btw what programs do u guys recommend for retexturing?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

picartman

Yeah, yours is better by an infinite mile.

:D:D:D

thanks, and If you guys have any opinions like if you think this or that texture looks a bit off, please tell me. Also the castle wall, im gonna be emphasizing it later on in the day, try to make it look nicer if possible.

Allrightthe castle area is 90% done, ill get screenies when my laptop can get internet acces or if i get a CD to burn stuff to my friends comp.

I´d also like to remind you guys that this retexture mod is my first one ive actually decided to complete it 100%, and that the textures arent exactly super retextured, i just changed them a little, what i´m aiming for is for people to see a fresher look to the game but also not get too detached from the original :)

The last thing that need to be done on the outside of the castle are the Clouds etc, but i cant do it right because i dont know how to place my clouds (real ones) in the .png file without it looking like crap ingame, can any one me whats wrong?

macphisto

Allrightthe castle area is 90% done, ill get screenies

The last thing that need to be done on the outside of the castle are the Clouds etc, but i cant do it right because i dont know how to place my clouds (real ones) in the .png file without it looking like crap ingame, can any one me whats wrong?

Usually those textures are very small to begin with, but in game they are usually the largest sometimes, as they are stretched to fit the sky. If you are going to use real images for a cartoony game like this, then it will almost certainly look out of place or really blocky as in the case of the cloud textures. Try filtering them, and then use a blurring filter so that it distorts any pixilation. You're best just sharpening up the originaltexture and cleaning the edges.

OP
P

picartman

Usually those textures are very small to begin with, but in game they are usually the largest sometimes, as they are stretched to fit the sky. If you are going to use real images for a cartoony game like this, then it will almost certainly look out of place or really blocky as in the case of the cloud textures. Try filtering them, and then use a blurring filter so that it distorts any pixilation. You're best just sharpening up the originaltexture and cleaning the edges.

Ill try to blur it then, thanks

OK then, the outside of the castle is 100% completly done, and the inside of the castle is (I think) is 100% done :D now all i need to do is transfer the files from my laptop to this desktop im using :/

ill upload it later on in the day, and with screenies.

drag-5

picartman, that process you described sounds very confusing...
what I do, is have my textures folder open.. set it to sort teh files by date modified, then I play the game to walk around and capture textures.
then when the game is still open, I go to hte textures, invert them in photoshop, then move them to the high texture folder one by one to see which is which. you don't have to turn off the emulator every time you update textures, just press f5 for quick sve then f7 for quick load. it'll reload the textures every time.
well that is providing your computer isn't an ass like mine.. (it keeps crashing)

OP
P

picartman

didnt know about F5/F7, itll save me like 2 minutes ;) good to know though, but what i do is i select dump textures to file and then i walk around alot, then after im done i stop dumping textures (PJ64 crashes) then i take the file png_all and i edit those in Photoshop CS2, then i make a hires folder and organize them there, after ive organized and retextured a specific place, i delete png_all, and i dump new textures in a new png_all

check dump textures to files
walk around
gather all posible textures
stop dumping, close PJ64 (Crashes)
edit textures in file png_all
make a new folder (the hires one) and organize the textures there after editing with CS2
start game
go to new area and repeat the dumping process.

OP
P

picartman

You're going to find that there will be a lot of textures in the ci_by_png folder that will need to be redone also.

I dont have any textures in there :plain:

Allright, i finally got a blank CD to copy my work of the castle (inside-outside)

since the pack is small and my internet where i am is slow, i decided to just put three screenshots in the pack itself, since itll only take less than a minute to DL the pack for many.

I also wanted to remind everyone that wants to use this pack that all i did was remove bad pixelization (skys, paintings etc etc) and changed few textures, i also used Photoshop filters a lot of the time (yes i know using filters is very noobish but hey im new and i still need to learn how to do textures from scratch) and i also resized all the textures i worked on.

Here is the read me:

"Hello,

This is a Super Mario 64 retexture pack, you can mirror this
pack if you feel like it only please state that I am the original creator
of the edited textures.

This pack is a Work In Progress, the only thing finished (to my knowledge)
is the Castle outside and inside and some other misc. things.

Changes:
less pixelization in many things
some textures changed completly to look better
All edited textures are .png resized x4

The point of this pack was mainly to "refresh" super mario 64, my goal
was to make everything look better but not lose the originality of
Super Mario 64.

I used Rices Plugin 6.1.1 beta10 and the rom is Super Mario 64 (U) !.z64

Extract the Super Mario 64 folder in you Plugin/hires-textures folder

Picartman"

Download Link:
RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting