What's new

Sonic Adventur 2 & opengl plugin

Huk

Hello to everyone.

Firs of all I would like to say - nice work however...

I wanted to run Sonic Adventure 2 - but I get the same problems like when I use Chankast (I mean sonic Adventure 2 & GeForce Graphics problem). When I use DX plugin it runs preety well but, com'on I want to use opengl :matrix: Please fix it somehow...

My PC specs:

GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
ECS K7VTA3B KT333
SbLive! 5.1
384 MB ram
Duron 1200

(I know my PC isn't powerfull enought but I want to be sure if I can buy a GeForce card for my new machine).

P.S.

sorry for my english :)

spotanjo3

com'on I want to use opengl :matrix: Please fix it somehow...
)

That is not right way to tell them "come on, please fix it somehow..." It will improvement in time however I dont know what wrong with your..your card is good..I hope someone else might be able to help you. Good luck.:bouncy:

OP
H

Huk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
com'on I want to use opengl Please fix it somehow...
)
That is not right way to tell them "come on, please fix it somehow..." It will improvement in time however I dont know what wrong with your..your card is good..I hope someone else might be able to help you. Good luck.

Sorry I didn't mean to be rude - I just was a bit disapointed that after waiting sooooo long for an emu that will run SA 2 (I really only need DC emu for this one game), it has same graphic error as on Chankast - and there is no work around (at leas for chankast).

This post supossed to be a bug report - if I offended anyone - I'm sorry - it was not my intention.

P.S.

Again sorry for my english.

spotanjo3

That's alright. :)

Emulating the dc isn't easy and it is alot of works to do. It will improvement, really. It is going to getiing better than Chankast! Unless Chankast team decide to come back. :)

Ryuran

The Overseer
I couldn't get ingame. The game freezes after I press start on the first screen, even using DXplugin. Any ideas how can I fix it?

NJ7

Sonic Adventure 2 works perfectly on my machine (minus the sound is bad and an occasional graphic glitch).....pentium 4, 2.67 GHZ, 512MB of RAM, WinXP SP2, GeForce 6200 AGP, 256MB DRR.....and no it does not suffer from graphic glitch like in Chankast here........are we sure we all have the same iso......maybe that's the problem......

NJ7

Sonic 2 is running under only gpuDX and not gpuOgl for some reason, I swore it was working under Ogl the other day, but now it has the chancast emulator graphic bug making it unplayable.....oh well, just run under gpuDX for now I guess.....:(

tkSteveFOX

His GPU is awfull it`s even weaker in some aspects than the PowerVR that`s in theDreamcast.CPU is not so bad.With this GPU you can`t even hope to play games at full speed if you can it`s hats down to the guys from the Demul team but for me in terms of hardware it`s impossible

tabris101

correction ^^

@Huk: DX plugin works fine

His GPU is awfull
Couldn't agree more...

it`s even weaker in some aspects than the PowerVR that`s in theDreamcast.
Name them please ^^

Dreamcast's PoverVR2 (CLX2 chip) was running at 100 MHz, it's performance could fill over 3 million polygons per second (can be filled - not textured) in 16.7 million colors (32bit although as far as i concern dc was using 16bit palette mostly).

Nvidia's NV34 GPU is running at 250Mhz

As for supported by povervr's gpu effects/features:
Bump mapping - i'm guessing emboss which could be made by simple multitexturing, i haven't seen single normal map in any of dc's games/ Fx5200 can do all types of bumpmaping (eg. emboss, dot3, parallax)
Triangular / Quad Engine - Fx5200 can do more (polygons, tristrips)
real-time lighting - with Fx5200's fixed pipeline you can do 8 lights per vertex (with per-pixel lighting enabled you can do 16 point lights in one pass)
fog - Fx5200 can do
scaling - Fx5200 can do
rotation - Fx5200 can do
alpha-blending - Fx5200 can do
bilinear, trilinear, anisotropic texture filtering - Fx5200 can do
environment mapping - Fx5200 can do (supposably more - env. qubemapping)
super sampling anti-aliasing - Fx5200 can do (supposably more - 2,4 fsAA)
perspective correction - Fx5200 can do
ARGB gouraud shading - Fx5200 can do more (ARGB, RGBA, RGB with various bit modes)
specular effects - Fx5200 can do

CPU is not so bad.With this GPU you can`t even hope to play games at full speed if you can it`s hats down to the guys from the Demul team but for me in terms of hardware it`s impossible
You are wrong!

You see emulation involves mostly (i'm guessing that more then 80% in particular case) CPU (for interpretation, dynamic instructions recompilation), THEN translated instructions are interpreted by video plugin (to fit into hosts graphic pipeline).

I've run Sonic Adventur 2 with DX video plug and had it working at ~30fps on my old Fx5200 card (Sempron 2.8+ (2.0), 512MB DDR 400, nforce2, Win2kPL SP4). Main issue was sound - not graphics.

Screenshots:
SA2 in action - large scene, many tris to render (but not as many as could bring fx5200 to it's knees)

And vireframed version:

And low-poly view:
You can see there is about 10fps jump - too small to by caused by gfx speedup, i'm guessing it's obtained from cut-out animation calculations and geometry tree iterations.

And vf: