What's new

It will be hard to emulate the GC!

Teamz

J'aime tes seins
"Even with over 5 hours of compressed video (they are using their own codec for compression) Eternal Darkness will still be able to fit on one GameCube disc."

They are already using private algorithms, people will have some fun reversing this hehe :plain:

blizz

not really since the codec is either in built into the hardware or it is uploaded by the game to the hardware before each movie plays ;)

it's a challenge but not one that can't be overcome by the right people ;)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
thats the optimistic view. but u got to remember that noone is yet able to reverse the SDD1 compression of SNES!

Slougi

what u forgot is that sdd1 is not just a compression technique, it's a chip. what we are talking about is done with the gamecubes processor, so if u emulate that reasonably accurately the compression algorithm will work all by itself.

And as to 32X, there are some emulators for that. 64DD might take a while yet, there is no real interest in it.

Edit: made post a bit clearer.

Davemc

Dave
i would like to see a 64DD emulator, but there would only be japanese roms for it, so maybe there isnt much point

it would be cool to see though

blizz

I forgot about AGES (it's hardly playable though)

and there should be interest in the 64DD if not just for the challenge but for F-Zero ;)

blizz

the f-zero editor was, according to Jaz(he "borrowed" his m8s setup to he could play it) pretty sweet, I'd like to see the track designer and all the other goodies in the up and coming game by Amusement Vision (the guys who did Daytona)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
blizz said:
the f-zero editor was, according to Jaz(he "borrowed" his m8s setup to he could play it) pretty sweet, I'd like to see the track designer and all the other goodies in the up and coming game by Amusement Vision (the guys who did Daytona)

:inlove:

neoak

Triforce of Something...
The Video Codec? Just try DivX ;). No, really, the Codec is in the Disc, as it have been told.

64DD. For F-Zero, and Zelda:OoT. (Remember that Nintendo get an Expansion fo OoT. Easy to do, because in Japan, there was only 1 ver of Zelda 64. In USA were 3.)

Info on the CPU on "Emu Coding" forum. Just look for "Info to make an GameCube emu". There are 8 files with the PDFs of the CPU. (Based on IBM's PowerPC 750 Series. Power PC CPUs are good for 3D modeling and Video Editing. Just try a Mac G4 and youll see)

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Yup. My mate bought the entire DD setup. (he's a N64 nut).. He's got pretty much all of the games for it.. and I get to borrow it again this week when he goes on holiday..

As blizz suggested to me, I'll take some photos.. :)