What's new

Screen Goes black for no reason!

Ov3rDoSe

Ok, im having some trouble playing Zelda: Majoras Mask. i got the rom, played it, and about 1 hour into the game, the screen goes black! even if i re load the state i have saved, as soon as i go past the point or wait a certain amount of time, it just goes black.
I thought this was the rom but even after i downloaded a new one it just happened at a slightly later point in the game. (2 hours.) my specs are Pentium M 1.7 Gz, 512 ram, 80gig h-drive, Intel Integrated Video Card and im unsure of the video mem. Any help would be much appreciated

OP
O

Ov3rDoSe

K, two things, this is a laptop, so i really dont have the option of "getting a new graphics card. and also, that Jabo plugin is the one I've been using all along. If it makes any difference, i still hear the sound when the screen goes black. it simply stops emulating the graphics i take it, cause i can still play the game by sound, but i cant see anything! I would really like to solve this, so any other help people could give would be great.

Clements

Sounds like it could be the day transition effect kicking in. It's not emulated well (in the 1.5.2 plugin, not at all).

In your case, I would use Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2 plugin as Agozer said, and you might either want to wait for the transition to finish (may take a while), or disable the speed limiter and/or self rendered textures in the video plugin settings (3rd tab) to speed it up.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Also, are you running in a window? If so when it goes "black" is it the whole screen or just the emulated window that is effected? This might help rule out some odd sleep mode or screen save of the laptop, they can be flaky.

Some laptops supported the ability to tell it how much memory to use for the video card in the BIOS also. From as low as 1meg to as high as 256meg on some newer models. Possibly play with that setting if you have it. If it's to low raise it up or to high lower it down.

Lastly update all your drivers as needed and try those ideas above from the others.