What's new

Is it possible to use a second keyboard with Project 64

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
No. This is a limitation of Windows, not Project64 though. Windows can only see one keyboard.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
well this isn't entirely accurate.

you can have 2 keyboards present, and have them detected by windows

BUT, you can't set the same controls on each, the keyboard doesn't work like a logical game controller, so both keyboards will just act as one.

StirCrazy

I had 2 setup like that once cause one was freaking out when id hit shift and the other was an older one that didnt work right so i really needed
anyway just set different keys on each keyboard and you can do it like that
ie: 1 user use wsad setup other use arrows
like said above they do act as 1 keyboard because i was just using shift on other for a couple weeks till i got a new one for my programming

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I was under the impression that DirectInput could handle two or more keyboard, as it's built to handle each input device as a seperate device, even if it's two keyboards. Is this not accurate?

StirCrazy

1 i had was USB and other was PS/2
they both were 1 and the same as far as windows xp was concerned and all aplications running on it.
It didnt even act like 2 of them were plugged in only like one of them were and they both could be typed on at any time and it wouldnt make any difference

squall_leonhart

I was under the impression that DirectInput could handle two or more keyboard, as it's built to handle each input device as a seperate device, even if it's two keyboards. Is this not accurate?

yes and no

while Keyboards are handled by Dinput, they are not assigned a device ID number, this is why you can't have seperate keyboards running individually.

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker

If you do a DirectInput query asking for all devices, you can enumerate all devices, including multiple keyboards. However, the GUID and handles for all keyboards point to one device, which is the same one as if you've requested a handle to "SysKeyboard". Same with mice; all mice plugged in will enumerate separately, but point to the same device. It's a really bad quirk of the API.

MS claims the workaround is to use low-level WM_INPUT handlers, which is a nice way of saying, "If you want to use multiple keyboards or multiple mice, don't use DirectInput." Detection of multiple keyboards/mice is different between Win9x, Win2000, and WinXP. Likely Vista will be different too. Thus I'm not going to bother writing in a handler. While it would be a cool trick to be able to play 1 on 1 with Goldeneye and two mice, there's simply not enough demand and it's too much work to hack in.

squall_leonhart

:p to follow up, if you check Dxdiag itself, the id fields in Dinput are both n/a with mice and keyboards, where with game controllers it assigns id's.

the WM_Input is a method that bypasses Dinput i believe,...

anythings possible in code,.. but its just writing the code...