What's new

No$GBA vs. NDeSmume Compatability problem

ssjSoulstar

First time posting here and here's a interesting problem. I managed to acquire the encrypter software used for no$gba to run the nds games, (Noted that touchpad is non-functional compared to NDeS, which has it working!) and noted a problem when trying to load the encrypted games back on the NDeS, which had them running before. I only got two games that I dumped from my friends games and got the rom images. Zookeeper and Dawn of Sorrow. (Darn him!...) Anyhow now the NDeS isn't loading any images up on either, which is did before, and I was going to try doing some research into the touchpad coding to see if there's anything to possibly work on to make some kind of extension to no$gba somehow. (Not sure how yet lol.)

Anyhow running through Dawn of Sorrow on no$gba got me to the start new game screen, which prompted me to use the touchpad screen to do something. I'm assuming that theres some kind of input your name deal that is masked behind the upper image, which is still the castlevania building with no title. The game IS running at normal speed, which shocked me, and for the life of me, I almost broke my mouse thinking it was faulty. (Assumed the touchpad motions were embedded to the mouse like NDeS.)

Zookeeper runs perfectly fine except again, no touchpad motion... Other than that, it runs great and I have no complaints so far.

Pity we don't have a debug version, because I'm pretty sure that for dawn of sorrow, we might need to remove one of the layers to see the lettering underneath... Or maybe my system can't handle the dual screen motion on separate timelines? Meh who knows...

Anyhow thanks for reading this rant!

*Btw, anyone know why Dawn of Souls (FF 1+2) doesn't run on No$Gba? As well as Summon Night 2?

OK... I figured out that using the encrypter again... Decrypts them for the NDes... Currently Dawn of Sorrows is playable, however there are a few technical problems that I see currently since I'm using NDeS.

The Black Screen on the bottom definately has hidden text somewhere in it. I'm not sure exactly how to find it, but I've gotten Soul Trading and some type of Save function started on it somehow. Also the touchscreen (BOTTOM lol) allows the use of some kind of drawing for input data?

If anyone has played the original software let me know what needs to be done, as I'm probably going to scour the net for images to go by for booting this up and proceeding further. I'll let you know later if I got any news.

Ok solved the problem.... the no$GBA version doesn't have the touchpad functions yet to emulate the pen used. In Dawn of Sorrow, you use the pen functions to seal monsters and such away and some other things. In order to get past the new game - start new game - input data, write something in the small area above the text and then near the lower right corner, (Same height as the text) click near the circle and it should load the game further.

Thus solves the problem on the NDeS, but does point out a major drawback to the no$GBA at the moment. Also, it seems that the background layer 1 and 4 on NDeS version of this seem to be graphically corrupted at the moment, which would explain a few problems. Other than that, I plan on seeing how much of it I can play :p

Last edited by a moderator:

diablow

no$gba emulates touchscreen, try some of the E3 demos (table hockey techdemo works pretty well). You might need to extract a few more "special" files from DS to unleash the true power of no$gba - search forum, it was talked about a lot.

spotanjo3

Actually, no$gba emulates touchscreen many nds roms very well which I already did test in my notebook. :)

OP
ssjSoulstar

ssjSoulstar

Thanks for the notice White X and everyone. I didn't mean to triple post, as I was in the middle of testing the software while posting those.

I did check the compat lists and even managed to get it to run.... I guess I'm specifically devoting myself to getting dawn of sorrow to work without sound and with all the layers intact. Currently I managed somehow to get the 'file' needed for the touchpad to work, though it was oddly renamed as something else. The only thing I do plan on doing is researching into finding the source for NDeS and try to piece together how the two emulators somehow managed to get opposing BG layers working. (Meaning no$gba has the cityscape running, but character is invis, while the top is missing all text data that is there.)

Anyhow so far I've noted that the messed up BG 3 (2) layer used on NDeS is emulated properly on no$gba and that BG 1 (0) is the only common layer problem. As for the top screen being wrong, I'd guess that BG 3 (2) on the top is also messed which I checked. I'm still not exactly sure how to get BG 1 (0) to run properly, but if that one is corrected on either program, I'd be happy...

Aside from that, thanks again for pointing out my errors and helping! :p

*Edit*
I've just finished getting a nasty gx error on no$gba for Children of Mana (U) (IND).nds however, it seems NDeS runs it fine minus a glitch... For some reason the two images switched spots on the NDeS, but the no$gba one didn't and stayed in the correct spot. The GX error occurs during the main title screen, right before the character choices... If you want screenshots of either or both, I can upload em to my pic site and post a link if you want.

*edit2* Here's the error message from No$gmb mfg (???) - invalid gx command 00000001 and 00000002 that alternate and disallow further progress.... As for NDeS, you can go all the way through the character selection, and naming process but when it gets to the screen after, all that is there is a image... It might be crashing there, but the emu is still running at 50%. (Which is normal on that system anyhow.)

Last edited:

spotanjo3

*Btw, anyone know why Dawn of Souls (FF 1+2) doesn't run on No$Gba? As well as Summon Night 2?

Look at this:

1ju9.jpg

1va4.jpg

Yeah, they are running just fine on my no$gba 2.23

*Summon Night 2 in JAPAN and USA runs just fine.

Last edited:
OP
ssjSoulstar

ssjSoulstar

Hmm thanks for pointing those out Rockman... Dawn of Souls crashed upon selecting New Game so maybe it was a bad dump? Which version(group) of Dawn of Souls do you have anyhow?

As for Summon Night 2, I have the US version and it runs fine on VBA but never see the title screen on no$gba... Which version (group) is it?

spotanjo3

You're welcome. I think your was a bad dump.

My version group of Dawn of Souls do I have is: Independent

The Summon Night 2 version group is Caravan. It is japan version. The english version group is Independent. Both runs just fine on no$gba.

I just double check on Dawn of Souls again to make sure for you and it is still run just fine, lol. :)

OP
ssjSoulstar

ssjSoulstar

Hrm NDeS is running CoM and it seems that the game does play minus the same problems as Dawn of Sorrow pertaining to backgrounds missing. I was hoping to get a savefile for it off of NDeS, (Hard copy in-game) but it seems it can't do that. Oddly enough though, some text is readable on the game, but no images... The menus work for the most part also.

Oh and Rock - Thanks for the group info. I managed to get the two tagged that work and going to test them later tonight to see if those work better. I may have had a E version instead of U version of Dawn of Souls.

*It seems to help if I had the CRC 32 info as I can check multiple versions out there to find the proper one via that. :p

Urameshi Yusuke

Class SS Youkai
wow, playing in no$gba with extended screen... what a crap image XD
too bad, nogba doesn't have any video filter to make it better. vba onwz XD

vba.PNG

Last edited:

spotanjo3

You are being very negative.

You are wrong. There is somewhere in no$gba. Look harder, will you ? :)

By the way, I am so tired and sick of people being negative about no$gba. All the emulators are doing great and all authors are doing a great jobs as well. It doesn't matter which is better. As long as they can run the games just fine.

WhiteX

If you think an emulator is beter than the other, use it and don´t bitch about the other one

Urameshi Yusuke

Class SS Youkai
You are being very negative.

You are wrong. There is somewhere in no$gba. Look harder, will you ? :)

By the way, I am so tired and sick of people being negative about no$gba. All the emulators are doing great and all authors are doing a great jobs as well. It doesn't matter which is better. As long as they can run the games just fine.

no, i'm not being negative, just saying the truth, resizing images without video filters make no$gba looks completely crap... i'm saying nothing about running games or not, no gba$gba is good enough to run games :bouncy: just make sure to read what i said :p

If you think an emulator is beter than the other, use it and don´t bitch about the other one

thank you, but there's any rule against "bitching" an emulator? LOL
simply because i was talking with rockmangames, and yes, vba is "better"