What's new

PHP modifying question

yegosimo

Bug Killer
Ok, I made some forums of a rock band at Proboards.
After 20 days of existence, some dude came and told me "Hey, I can host you a phpBB2 forum for free! What do you say?" and then, after discussing with 2 of my mods, I accepted the offer.
The new forums are very good, I like them a lot, but I need to know something. I got Admin priviledges, but I cannot modify the website, like for pasting codes into it in order to have a shoutbox, chat room, mp3 player, etc etc.
How can I do that... I can't keep asking this guy to modify the forums each time it is needed (every 20 min :p), besides, he's not available in most of the time.
He told me that I needed to know basic PHP and needed to have the files of the forum...
What do I have to ask him for if I'd like to paste some scripts???

Old Forums
New Forums
(They're both in Spanish)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You need to have access to the web server where the files of the forum are stored and you do of couse need the knowledge to modify and write new PHP code. That's all.

OP
yegosimo

yegosimo

Bug Killer
You need to have access to the web server where the files of the forum are stored and you do of couse need the knowledge to modify and write new PHP code. That's all.

Uhh..
Yeah I tried to learn about PHP but ... it's too confusing, I understand nothing :(
Could the files be transfered via FTP?

Doomulation

Of course, the main and most used way to transfer files to a web server is via FTP. But if you don't understand PHP I would not recommend that you mess around with the board.

OP
yegosimo

yegosimo

Bug Killer
But it's like... Here's a mod... follow the instructions:
1. Unzip
2. Copy shoutbox.php to root/
3. Your done!!!

So, I guess that I could just copy the file given to where it says and period, the mod should be ready...

Doomulation

Yes, sometimes. Sometimes not. Most of the time, you need to open and modify files of your board and insert or change code. Which can be dangerous. Though it is doable.
Just make sure to backup every file you modify when applying patches or mods and if anythings goes awry, just restore your backups.
If you learn how to do that, it is relatively safe.