What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Mario 64 Bump Mapped

Inzane

Heres some pics of mario 64 & Zelda i bump mapped.

Hi rez Mario texture credit: goes to cloudscapes

Hi rez Zelda texture goes to federelli

Bump mapped credit: goes to me

Any comments or suggestions let me know

My whole point to doing this was to put some depth in the graphics. I Get complaints about filter usage, everybody here has to use some kind of program to get the job done. Now i have not seen anybody else trying to do this by hand or otherwise. So if you have a better way then show me if you just don't like it fine. Those who do like the look THANK-YOU

MORE BUMP MAPPING ON THE WAY

Last edited:

Poobah

Did you modify the source to allow it to load and apply bump-maps, or are you mis-using the term?

Your textures look good, but you might want to use filtering in the screenshots.

OP
I

Inzane

No source code was used for the bumping just a program.

Keep in mind N64 utilized no bumping at all so if you did a side by side comparison of the same pic you would see the diffrence. Of course in the acual game the texture looks awsome.

Last edited:

macphisto

Are you sure this isn't just the Hi-res textures ran through a filter in photoshop to make the dark parts of the texture extrude from the rest making it look extra bumpy? No N64 game uses per-pixle lighting, so it's not true bump mapping.

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
Yeah. That's really all it is. You can tell it's a filter/program he ran the textures through because the lighting on the bumps is coming from different angles. You should change your credits so that the bump map credits go to the program you used, because it's obvious you didn't do anything else to them by hand.

OP
I

Inzane

Ok i'm not trying to win an award here so instead of so much negative comments why don't we research away to make the games bump mapped truly.

I'm just like the next guy trying to bring new looks to an old classic. N64 graphics have always been a little plain i'm just making a contribution.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
It's a bit too much on the grass, but the detail looks nice on some of the brick textures. Glad to see more efforts to make this game look better.

macphisto

I was just about to mention the grass. Those small 32x32 textures are next to impossible to bring any real sharp detail to. It's best to not mess about with those too much. The thing about Mario 64 is that too much detail can kill the aethetics of the game. One of the reasons why it still looks so good, and probably the best of all the N64 games, was because of it simple but colourful graphics.

OP
I

Inzane

Yea the grass looks painted but that texture can be replaced

Any comments of suggestion let me know

Poobah

It'd be really cool if bump-map support was implemented in one of the popular graphics plug-ins.

macphisto

Keep the grass detail to a minimum. Seeing it's a small texture, if you try to add details like flowers by drawing them, it will only look stretched, faded and oversized in the game. My advice for the grass would be to keep it simple as possible for that particular texture.

That Zelda image looks great, though. It may not be true bump mapping, but it gives a good illusion of it.

gandalf

Member ready to help
orkin had posted some pictures of his non-released direct64, with bumpmapping, it´s possible to use it