What's new

HDD Problem

xneoangel

Persona User
Hi, recently i've been having some problems with my hard drive, well the computer started to get very slow so i went and checked the IDE Dispositives Properties, and found out that for some reason my HDD is running on PIO MODE instead of on UDMA, do you guys know what could i do to put it back on UDMA?

Answer

I found that info on the maxtor website but i'm not sure if i should do that because i don't know if it will delete the data on the drive (i can't lose my data its important).

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
mmm, you could enable UDMA again without any risks IMO. However if Windows automatically downgraded to PIO, checking your HDD for surface errors is a must

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Look for disk-related errors in the system event log.

Also, if you're OC'ing your bus and there isn't a PCI lock, you're at higher risk for Windows reporting disk errors and downgrading the PIO mode!

You're definitely at majorly high risk of Windows reporting disk errors and downgrading to PIO mode if your PCI frequency is higher than 36 mhz.

OP
xneoangel

xneoangel

Persona User
For some reason i don't know why or how my hard drive was damaged and it died yesterday. :(

Well i'll be able to buy a new one in about 2 weeks, so for now i'll have to use cyber cafes.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Damaged? How? test it with some booting program like seagate desktop tools (no matter if your HDD is seagate or not)

mr2000jp

mmm, you could enable UDMA again without any risks IMO. However if Windows automatically downgraded to PIO, checking your HDD for surface errors is a must
yes , i think you should check for bad sectors , that happens when your drive is old and starts getting bad sectors specially at the first tracks (track 0)
the pio and dma options are enabled from the bios settings