What's new

Quad-Core Chips

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Are you kidding? Not for a while still. Plus I've always been an AMD fan. I'd need to upgrade Motherboard, too, and switch RAM to DDR2 so no. Way too expensive.

BlueFalcon7

AMD will make a quad core, just watch them...

First there was the basic CPU, then there was a Dual core, then the XBox 360's Tri core, now the quad core. What next? the Pentium Penta-core

yegosimo

Bug Killer
I may buy one of those because I'm getting a new PC next year...
I'd be like: "Who's got the monster now?" :evil:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Core 2 Duos are excellent indeed, however Core 2 Quadro will be two Core 2 Duos in the same package, and it's sucks too much power (similar to the Pentium EE 965).
It will be pure horsepower indeed and a multitasking beast but it will be too expensive and power drainer.

I would like to swittch to a Core 2 with my next upgrade, however I still have 2 256 Mb DDr400 sticks from my old fried system, so I'll use them and add two two 512 mb sticks more to it. DDR-2 is too expensive at the minute. So the most probable thing is that I'm going for a AMD64 Dual Core solution.

For those waiting for the AMD K8L quad core processor coded Barcelona, it will be released until H2 2007

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
AMD's Quad Core will be more of a "true" solution. Not just slap two dual cores into a single die. I think we shall wait for AMD's solution.
After Quad, we'll get 8 cores, then 16, then 32 and so on... I bet. They're crazy about multiple cores now. But then again, it's the future.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Actionally Intel and AMD both agree that 8 cores CPUs, would have to wait some years, at least for the mainstream market