What's new

Ok look - someone has to help me out here

I've tried 1964, Project64, Mupen, UltraHLE.....a whole bunch of others that I can't recall. Not one of them works without causing lockups.

I've tried many different plugins with respect to graphics, sound, RSP and input, I *still* get lockups. I tried different versions of the emulators.....STILL lockups.

What am I doing wrong? Why are these games (Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, etc) all listed as supported and playable and yet they can't be played for more than a few minutes without freezing and forcing me to replay the entire level/area? Its getting extremely annoying now, I can't play PD or Pokemon Stadium like this because having to redo critical areas is just annoying.

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything better than these emulators yet? Right now I've found Glide64 (newest 06 build of the wrapper and wonder) and Azimer's WIP2 for audio work best, since swapping them out doesn't solve lockups.

The only reason I can possibly imagine for the freezing is the emulators themselves. However I thought Project64 and 1964 were the most used and highly rated? Doesn't anyone besides me play their games for more than 20 minutes to see these freeze issues? Its not my PC or anything, because its only the emulator that freeze causing me to just close and restart like nothing happend. Hell it still says "60/60" fps in the corner when it occurs.

So what do I do? I find emulation pointless if the games can't be completed.

Iconoclast

Then either you misexplained something, or it has to be your hardware. As good as your gfx card and all that stuff looks, it's gotta be something to do with your PC, not the emulator or plugins, since you say you've tried most, if not all, of them. If you have access to another PC, you could try on that one and see if it works.

OP

But what you don't see is that I've been trying these over the span of many driver versions and reinstalls of XP. If there is a hardware problem, can you maybe let me know? I've listed my hardware and AFAIK I've not heard of incompatibilities with these programs. It just doesn't make sense.

Is there some debug mode I can use to see what exactly is causing the freezing? I fail to believe its my PC when XP doesn't even see the program as not resonding....the menus and everything work. Its just the actual emulation has suddenly frozen - exiting full screen I can see it *looks* like it is still working, and yet I can't forward any frames. The only solution is to reset the rom or exit.

Any ideas at all? Trying on another PC isn't an option since this is the PC I own powerful enough to get decent performance.

Iconoclast

There"$ more to your PC hardware factors of emulating the N64 than just your driver versions and your operating system. For example, you seem to have rooted this idea out, but one thing that can do it is if you're trying to run in 24 bit color depth. Is your monitor's color depth set to 24 bit?

I mean, like I said, that might not be it since you didn't get a Not Responding error or whatever, but it sounds like it's something about your PC, to me, and reinstalling Windows XP and different driver versions are only some, but not all, of the things to try to fix your problem.

OP

Iconoclast said:
There"$ more to your PC hardware factors of emulating the N64 than just your driver versions and your operating system. For example, you seem to have rooted this idea out, but one thing that can do it is if you're trying to run in 24 bit color depth. Is your monitor's color depth set to 24 bit?

Why would colour depth freeze the games randomly? I've never heard of depth doing anything but affecting palettes...hardly the issue here.

I mean, like I said, that might not be it since you didn't get a Not Responding error or whatever, but it sounds like it's something about your PC, to me, and reinstalling Windows XP and different driver versions are only some, but not all, of the things to try to fix your problem.

Well what is it then? A 'pc' is just hardware and I've listed my hardware. Its easy to blame the PC, but in reality I've noticed many people with similar if not identical pieces of hardware getting better results than me. I just wish there was a way to pinpoint the exact cause of the freezing, since it happens so randomly.

OP

I've switched to the latest version of Mupen and thus far no freezing. Hopefully all is well.

Iconoclast

Why would colour depth freeze the games randomly? I've never heard of depth doing anything but affecting palettes...hardly the issue here.
Because it just does. According to the PJ64 GameFAQ, usually, Jabo's Direct3D gfx plugin lists 16 and 32 bit color depth settings. Now, Jabo's Direct3D is not the only plugin this applies to, but 24 bit is bad. I just thought that might be it, because it said if your graphics card lists 24 bit settings, do not use them. Same thing with window mode, I should assume, because either way, the emulator runs in that setting.

Well, of course. Obviously, it's got to be something about your hardware, or the ROMs you've been playing and how well they are supported, since you just now say that Mupen64's working OK. Just because they have similar hardware to yours doesn't mean they have the exact set of hardware as you do, and you never know that there might just be something wrong with the combination of them even, not just an individual part of your PC.

OP

I'm using the exact same setup with the exact same plugins in Mupen64. No freezing. I'm no rocket scientist, but I know which factor I would blame the freezing on.

Acorn

I've had a similar issue once, and somewhat recently. When using pcsx2, and only pcsx2 as far as I could find at first, the video would randomly stop. Not even freeze the emu. Thought it was just natural pcsx2 bugs for a long time, until UT2K4 was installed and started having similar problems. Turns out the video card was malfunctioning when a specific set of commands were issued to it.

In another case, a computer would randomly quit (no crash, just quit) project64. After a while it started bluescreening with "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALs". One of the memory sticks was bad.

In yet another, across many PCs this time, ePSXe would freeze randomly when playing a game from the cd-drive. This one might be more obvious to most, but I was stumped for quite some time. Happened on multiple comps, totally different configs. Different hardware, different drivers. After much troubleshooting, figured out that I was installing the same ASPI drivers on each comp - and they were causing the problem.

Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I would with issues like these at least try software on multiple computers with dissimilar configurations before blanket blaming the program (or, in your case, multiple programs). Especially when thousands or tens of thousands of other users have had success.

Last edited:
OP

Blanket? I play tons of games both old and new, and quite frankly I don't get freezing like this. Project64 and 1964 do. Mupen64 does not. Its as simple as that, problem solved.

Allnatural

Clearly there is a problem in PJ64 and 1964 when used with your specific hardware, but you can't really blame the program unless similar bug reports are widespread. Countless others don't have this problem, but you do, so it's some strange incompatiblity with your system. It happens. Case in point - the latest version of Direct64 will not work on my system at all. I've tried on every emulator that supports it, over countless driver revisions...nothing. It spits out an error and crashes. No one else has reported similar problems (to my knowledge), so I don't blame the program. Something about the particular combination of hardware and software in my system is the problem.

Anyway, mupen's a great emulator. I'm glad to hear it's working for you.