What's new

Game FAQ menu page cannot be displayed

damphool

I am unable to view the information found for specific ROMs in the Game FAQ section under the help menu. I see a ROM list, but, when I click on a specific ROM, it just goes to "Page cannot be displayed." My buddy is running PJ64, and I have looked on his machine & the pages show up correctly. I have downloaded and copied the newest RDB (v1.6) into my PJ64 folder (not sure if that is even related). The notes appear to have updated on the main window. I have my ROM directory mapped correctly in the settings. I have tried to rename ROMs to match the naming scheme of the ROMs listed in the Game FAQ. Still no luck. Any ideas?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i've seen this problem when the gamefaq was on a mapped network drive. try copying pjgamefaq.chm to a different drive e.g. your c: drive and opening it there. any better?

OP
D

damphool

It was already in:
C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Emulators\N64\Project64 1.6

So, I deleted it & re-extracted from the zip file I downloaded. Same thing. So, I deleted the zip file & re-downloaded it from pj64.net. The first time I did, WinZip said it was corrupt & wasnt a valid file (if memory serves, this happened the first time I downloaded it). So, I downloaded it a second time, this time it was fine. I extracted it to the Project64 1.6 directory, and overwrote the existing files. Same thing. I may have my buddy copy his file for me & see if the file is corrupt for some reason...

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what I find.

OP
D

damphool

I had my buddy email me his copy of the PJgameFAQ.chm file (which requires a renaming work-around because apparently not very many mail servers like to pass on .chm files). Anyway, I replaced my original file, and... it didn't work. I tried about 10 other things (moving, renaming. etc. etc.) until I finally fixed it. I can't say why this worked (other than simple file corruption), but, in frustration, I deleted my original PJgameFAQ.chm file... then I went into the recycle bin & restored it. Works fine now...!...?... I'm looking for the smiley face smoking crack... and I just don't see it... so, thus ends my post.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
But then it wouldn't be able to read anything of the file. I don't believe Help writes anything to the file.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the problem is that .chm files rely on microsoft's html renderer (same as IE). it's possible for your windows config to get messed up and not be able to open chms properly. i haven't yet been able to track down exactly what windows setting causes this, but it's probably something IE config or a spyware-protector tool does.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
squall_leonhart said:
NTFS also has read permissions :p

..it could also have been a meta file problem...
If it did not have read permission, it would not be able to open the file at all.