What's new

Vista RC1 available for public!

BlueFalcon7

whats with the speed? I was getting 500 KB/s (and I have DSL) and it just slowed down after a minute to a steady 160. Well Im not going to complain...

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Maybe a lot of people are downloading it now. You should be one of the first to get it for good speed ;)

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Nope. I can't say I know.
Vista is available to Custom Preview Program only, though, so as they say. But it will open to those who haven't registered before in coming weeks. I don't know if they'll hand out new keys.
Otherwise there are plenty of them on the web, I vet. Just don't say I told you :p

BlueFalcon7

Wait, I dont have a key, how do I get the email that sends me the key or whatever?

Last edited:
OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Enroll is the Customer Preview Program (not open for new registrants ATM). Or get a key somehow else.
Microsoft says they are going to open it in coming weeks.

Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

I just installed it, and for some reason, when I open the control panel or "computer," explorer crashes, and Im forces to use alternative means of replacing files which is not fun...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
That's weird, thats never happened to me - did you do an upgrade to Vista or a new install?

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Neither has it happened to me, even though I have upgraded from a previous Vista build. Better report that to Microsoft and give up on Vista for the time being if it doesn't stop.

BlueFalcon7

I upgraded from XP. I also tried using an explorer.exe from XP, but it didnt work. Is there any way to rip it off the install disc?

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

No idea. But why are you UPGRADING?! Vista is Beta and should be installed fresh on another partition.

davidpoiu

I won't install it for now, I just install the final version, because I had a bad experience with betas, with Visual Studio 2005 (Whidbey) And the "quest" for install the VS 2005 (final version) was horrible and very long! So I won't take that risk again.

But it's OK, it's almost the final product :)

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Yes, the Visual Studio 2005 Beta was horrible, and so was Vista Beta 2. But this Windows build works very well, actually. I'm using it day and night on both my home computer and laptop - and know what? It has worked better than XP so far! Save for a few compability problems and drivers that are missing...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Vista isn't a beta anymore, its a release candidate, those things are extremely close to final builds. Hence the name "release". Microsoft could easily pack RC1 in a box and ship it right now if they wanted to, it is stable and fully functional.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I would personally call Release Candidate "Final Preview Release" because that is what it is, and indeed is very stable but as Scott has said a lot of times is not still finished. I think what Doom tried to said is that since Vista is not still a final release, an upgrade from XP is not a good idea. In my opinion a clean install in always better and safer than upgrading, with any Windows Version

BlueFalcon7

Doomulation said:
No idea. But why are you UPGRADING?! Vista is Beta and should be installed fresh on another partition.
Well, all my data is backed up, I reformat alot. That way, I can keep trial programs, and I just get to use them again when I reformat.

Why would you keep trial programs? They're just adware and they don't make anything better with your computer so I recommend you to just delete them.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

ScottJC said:
Vista isn't a beta anymore, its a release candidate, those things are extremely close to final builds. Hence the name "release". Microsoft could easily pack RC1 in a box and ship it right now if they wanted to, it is stable and fully functional.
I beg to differ!
The fact that the Task Manager doesn't work in this build further suggests that it is BETA. Beta is a program that is not yet released to public (still in testing stages). There is no release candidate. Just a made up name. But if you wish, you can call it stable beta.

SlimickGamer said:
Why would you keep trial programs? They're just adware and they don't make anything better with your computer so I recommend you to just delete them.
Trial is not adaware. Think of what you write.