What's new

GC Controller USB PC adapter

Zoomer

Is there a good GameCube controller adapter for the PC ? LIke the quality of an Adaptoid, but for the GC ?

Looking for a referral to the best one out there ( if any ) plus experience anyone might have with them.

Mouser X

My EMS Trio Linker is pretty nice. It's got connectors for a GC, PS1/2, and DC controller. Though, it only allows 1 controller at a time. It also works with the DC morracas, the PS1/2 DDR pad, and the GC bongos. I can't think of any problems it's given me, except one. When I hooked my Mad Katz (or however they spell their name) controller up to it, it went completely haywire. None of the buttons/joysticks did what they were supposed to, and I couldn't remap anything either. Switching that controller with a 1st party one worked fine though. It also works great with my MMX edition controller from Nubytech (at least, that's what it says on the bottom of the controller).

Based on my experience with it, I'd say it's pretty good. However, if the Mad Katz controller is any indication, it might not work very well with a 3rd party controller. Though, when I bought that controller, I bought it simply because it was the cheapest controller I could find, so that might have something to do with it.

There's others out there. Take a look at Lik-Sang (I think it's lik-sang.com). Just search their site, and you can find quite a few adapters there. I hope my input helped though. Mouser X over and out.

OP
Zoomer

Zoomer

Is this the one you are referring to Mouser ?

http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=triolinker&Category_code=PC

I like to buy from Jandaman to save on shipping - he's based in Canada so you dont have to pay international rates. Bought my Adaptoid from Jandaman when they were originally released.

Is this thing durable?

The only concern I have adapters in general is the problems due to "mutliple button presses" that can cause some cheaper adapters to go unresponsive -- i.e- they cant register more than one button press at a time. As long as this is not an issue for the Trio Linker it should be good.

Mouser X

Well crud. Sorry my response took so long. Yes, that's the one I was refering to. Quite honestly, I've banged mine around quite a bit, so I'd say durability is pretty good. Though, there is something loose inside the casing... I think it's a metal piece used for holding something in place. So, the curcuitry is fine, but it looks like one of the connectors is loose. It still works great, but I do try to make sure that connector isn't bothered to much (I don't want the wires to break loose. If it's what I think it is, that might be possible, though I'd say unlikely).

One other thing I forgot is that, occasionaly, it's unresponsive (it doesn't happen very often, which is why I forgot about it). This has never happened to me while ingame. But, sometimes when I start up Chankast (other emulators as well?), none of the buttons do anything. Unplugging the adapter from the USB port for a few seconds/minutes usually solves this problem, though a restart works everytime. This may be a concern for you. Personally, it's a mild annoyance. It's never really been a problem for me, but I thought you should know, incase you plan on buying one. Also, be sure to check out their site, and update your drivers. The drivers it comes with are a little old (I think).

Hopefully that information is helpful to you. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on that. I've been offline for awhile. Mouser X over and out.