What's new

problem, on some games computer resets itself

irish

yes u have heard it when i play gamesespically zelda majoras mask where u can put the deku mask on after breaking the spell the game resets the computer where as when i play zelda: ocarina of time the computer resets when i get to zoras domain

any idea why that happens im using windows xp pro, intel pentium 4 3.6ghz pro, 1 gb of ddr ram, geforce ti 4200 with AGP8x, soundblaster audigy 2, project64 version 1.6 with standard plugins

irish wonder

revl8er

That Damn Good
It is most likely computer related. Did you check your temperature? If not then you can try using everest home edition, just google it.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Tesla said:
I think you must reinstall your windows. XP IS a little bit buggy, isn't it?
Woah, no need to jump to conclusions. As buggy as XP is, only a driver bug, kernel bug hardware related problem is going to cause random reboots. It is much more likely to be overheating hardware or bad memory causing the problem.

Tesla

Banned
Yeah, but by the time you fix that you'll lose a wish for life, not to mention pj64. Or pj64 is more important to you than your life, like me? ;)

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Uhh...reinstalling XP won't solve hardware problems (let alone psychiatric problems). Checking temperatures and running a memory test will allow you to find out what is actually going wrong.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
You guys are not considering a very important thing, that is to check if the ROMs are GoodROMs, use GoodN64 with GoodWindows to check them

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
a bad rom won't cause the system to crash, thats the benefit of xp, it'll run into a general exception and thats about it.

try this
check the system fans for excessive dust
clean them
uninstall your display drivers then use drivercleaner to clean up any left over crap, then reinstall the display driver.

make sure the system is not overheating.

make sure the ram isn't damaged.
make sure the psu is not damaged or overloaded

Tesla

Banned
I don't know. When my PC restarted because of the sound card driver failure, I used System Restore to "travel back through time" and it works now...

OP
I

irish

i dont think my computer overheats windows xp seems to function ok, but i have figured out that if i change the video graphics input plugin from (jabos direct 81.6) to (jabos direct61.5.2) the computer will then play past those points.

its even started to reset on certain games e.g when you complete them or goes to fma or fmv seqences it will reset there

but yeah i reckon its a graphic card problem its probably just out of date or something after all its only a geforce 4

Tesla

Banned
I have a GeForce4 and my PC never restarted because of that. Try out Glide64 WonderPlus. It's great...

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Yeah. At this point I'll venture to guess that it's the graphics card overheating or a bug in the nVidia drivers. Anyone care to suggest a good driver for the GeForce4 Ti?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
im using forceware 81 i believe on my TI 4800se... or it could be 91.. im not sure... i'll check later.. my sisters on it atm.