What's new

No$GBA Author anwered me!!!

WhiteX

> What i would like to know of you is the possibility to test games
> for you and make our compatibility list official for your
> emulator, giving you feedback on features or debug info, just
> name what you want and we will test it for you
Well, best bug report would be something like "the NDS should do this-thing when writing to register x, but no$gba does that-thing instead".

Next best would be something less detailed like "this game has display glitches", preferably for small freeware games/demos (small, because of needing to be able to download them by modem).

Compatibility list for commercial games would be pretty interesting, too. Maybe not so much for bugfixes, but to get an idea how no$gba is working (so far, I've tested it only with 1-2 commercial games).

OK, you heard the man, time to be specific and quick about it!:D

Programmers are more than welcome to help!!!:)

spotanjo3

Sound good idea. I got that message from him as well!

You can have nds roms in zip that are about 20mb or 25 mb like Kirby Canvas Curse USA and I do not know how much minutes will be for dialup.

Oh yeah, you can try Bomberman DS because it is only under 5 mb and it will be great for him because it is slow and no save program to do that. It will be awesome starter! Just find nds roms that are smaller in .zip for him to download through dialup and test! :D

Let's help him out, shall we ?!

Last edited:
OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

Yes, his time to try things out is small, i got LowLines to send him a sample of his compat list, let´s make it grow! :D

spotanjo3

Let me know what you want me to do. You know me, I will do anything to help emulator author out! That's very nice of me, isn't it ? HEH! ;)

What list of low's compat? I would like to see it.

Low Lines

Rockmangames said:
Sound good idea. I got that message from him as well!

You can have nds roms in zip that are about 20mb or 25 mb like Kirby Canvas Curse USA and I do not know how much minutes will be for dialup.

Oh yeah, you can try Bomberman DS because it is only under 5 mb and it will be great for him because it is slow and no save program to do that. It will be awesome starter! Just find nds roms that are smaller in .zip for him to download through dialup and test! :D

Let's help him out, shall we ?!
Why do people make dial up seem so bad?
I have it and I have downloaded 300+ nds games on it plus many OTHER things....sure it's slow, but it doesn't mean it's as pathetic as you seem to make out of it (directing that at everyone)

Last month I got 2GB of stuff.....

Hiei-YYH

about 8 years ago i used 56k (now i have 1mb xD) to download 20mb it's about 1h since 10mb usually was 30min to get, anyway, someone can help him in raring or 7ziping the roms :p they are better than zip (i don't know why ppl are still using zip)

spotanjo3

It doesn't matter. The people have different taste in .rar, zip, 7zip. I rather ZIP and RAR more than 7zip...why is it better ?:)

ninja1

i would suggest .rar for everything simply because it makes the files smaller as zip does, roughly 10-20% i guess, can save alot of download time =)

Someone!

Hullo!
Rockmangames said:
7z is even better than Rar and Zip...

Hiei-YYH

Rockmangames said:
You didnt answer my question. Why is it better ? Without a detail mean nothing. :):bouncy:

better compression? LOL

just a test in a nds rom (max compression)

original file size > 16.384 (16mb)

rar > 2.399 (2.34mb)

zip > 2.907 (2.83mb)

7z > 2.101 (2.05mb)

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Wow, that's not bad. I should take a look at it, heh! Thanks for telling me! :D

Maybe we should tell no$GBA Author to add .zip so we do not have to unzip it every time, lol.

Last edited:

Hiei-YYH

Rockmangames said:
Wow, that's not bad. I should take a look at it, heh! Thanks for telling me! :D

not all file have same compression ratio, sometime rar compress better than 7z, but 80% of time 7z compress better

zip is a crap, always big than 7z and rar

spotanjo3

Yeah, well. Not all emulators can read .rar files. So, that's why I rather used the .zip to save more space rather than unzip them.

EDIT: It is off the point. We better off get back to no$gba's questions and answers only, ok ? ;)

Hiei-YYH

Rockmangames said:
Yeah, well. Not all emulators can read .rar files. So, that's why I rather used the .zip to save more space rather than unzip them.

no, it's better add 7z support =p since it's a freeware

Rockmangames said:
EDIT: It is off the point. We better off get back to no$gba's questions and answers only, ok ? ;)

ok

diablow

With 7z you can get pretty good compresion, but to use maximum compresion you'll need a lot of RAM, the same for decompresion. So I suggest to stick to demos and homebrew. E3 and other downloadable demos shold be perfect test subjects (easier to download, more legal). Having some additional hardware one could test demos on DS and emulator and compare them by eye.

Last edited:

Cyberman

WhiteX said:
Yes, his time to try things out is small, i got LowLines to send him a sample of his compat list, let´s make it grow! :D
Right you heard in LowLines make that compat list glow! Errr grow.. yeah :D

All right enough sillyness ...

About compression, first you have to have the format and algorythm, having spent a month once working on a ZIP compatible lib I can attest to you that it can be a royal pain. Source code such as libzip compatibility is very helpful. Not all formats are compatible with it however. As long as he can have access to something that can read the contents and extract data from the format it's ok. It does require a bit more than slapping it on with duct tape.

What am I saying? It's very easy to say 'It would be great to be able to read compressed files'. However DOING this is far more difficult than merely working on features on an archetecture you are more familiar with (IE ARM9/7 processor core and NDS hardware). So it's a matter of doing what he wants to do (work on the core compatibility) or working on what you want (compressed file extraction and support).

Cyb

spotanjo3

diablow said:
With 7z you can get pretty good compresion, but to use maximum compresion you'll need a lot of RAM, the same for decompresion. So I suggest to stick to demos and homebrew. E3 and other downloadable demos shold be perfect test subjects (easier to download, more legal). Having some additional hardware one could test demos on DS and emulator and compare them by eye.

Right but nds games as well..starting with small files is a good starter because I spoke with him through email and he would like to see what it can do with his emulator. He wants our help and let's give him what he want..not only demos (which is a good idea) and homebrew (I do not care about this homebrew) but nds games as well.:bouncy:

Low Lines

Miretank said:
Indeed, me too. Dial up is not evil.
Thank you :flowers:
Rockmangames said:
Right but nds games as well..starting with small files is a good starter because I spoke with him through email and he would like to see what it can do with his emulator....
Why not do a detailed documentation on each game, providing PROPER screenshots identifing/showing the errors/bugs?

You would also need to provide your hardware specs, along with say the playback speed of the game and doing things such as describing the actual problem (ie with the touchscreen in Yoshi Touch & Go, "implementation of the mouse as the stylus causes problems if the mouse is moved too fast" etc)

Then you could use one of those delightful sounding compression formats this thread has been acustomed to (though it would be best to stick with .zip because it is more or less generic) and then have a forum/thread, which would act as a anchoring point between the Author and Testers :bouncy:

And if this idea sounds good, maybe you could suggest to him to fix the screenshot options so it can capture both 2D and 3D surfaces (as they are quite scrambled right now).

[EDIT]

BTW how come I keep getting this?
et_member_of_the_month.gif

This is the second time it has popped up....

Last edited: