What's new

setting up jabo's video plugin like direct64

applejack

hello. i currently use jabo's direct3d8 1.6 plugin, which i think is the latest. because it seems to be the best n64 video plugin around, and the most compatible with project64, i'd like to know if anyone has enough knowledge of direct64's workings to help match it in some ways.

the biggest problems with jabo's plugin, and n64 emulator plugins in general, seem to be frame buffer/frame buffer effects emulation, clipping, and proper blending. the one that bothers me the most at the moment are the clipping problems associated with 2d overlay sprites. light blooms and certain particle effects don't clipped properly, but weirdly that often depends on their distance away from the camera. either way, it's something i'd like to get rid of.

direct64 seems to have little problem with any of these things, but it lacks extras of jabo's, and doesn't seem to run smoothly with project64. are there non-defualt settings in jabo's plugin that might solve this problem?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You can't make Jabo's plugin work exactly like Glide64. Wait for Project64 1.7 (or donate and get the beta sooner) and you might see changes for the better.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok, a few warnings, we don't promise particular things for the beta, i'm not sure if you'll see improvement in the areas you want at this stage. but you certainly can ask jabo and have much more chance of getting what you want if you donate. I would also like to see some of these things improved.

btw for this to be meaningful we need to know which games and your system specs etc., lots of detail.

Last edited:
OP
A

applejack

well, i donated anyway. i don't feel cheated even though these issues aren't really worked out yet, so it's not a problem. i've read a few of zilmar's posts and it seems like it's just a matter of time.