What's new

'Attempt to open file failed'

Superjaz 8

This happens whenever i try to open any of my roms - ive un and re installed pj64, and used new roms, but nothing works - i still get 'attempt to open file failed'.. it never used to do this... any help?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Are you trying to load a game via Project64's Rom Browser window or via File --> Open Rom?

You should use the browser window to load your games after you've put your ROMs in the roms folder. Also, make sure that your roms are not inside compressed archives.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Change the filename so that thre won't be any spaces in it. Although this is a long shot and shouldn't affect anything in Project64, try it anyway.

Thunderbird8

Double-check that something else doesn't have them open. When I downloaded a bunch of ROMs through a BitTorrent client, it didn't close the files unless I disabled the file from downloading (and then re-enabled it). If I tried to open the files before doing that, Project64 would give me this error.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Thunderbird8 said:
Double-check that something else doesn't have them open. When I downloaded a bunch of ROMs through a BitTorrent client, it didn't close the files unless I disabled the file from downloading (and then re-enabled it). If I tried to open the files before doing that, Project64 would give me this error.

That's because Windows returns the dreaded access denied error to Project64 with NT-based Windows. If another application has the file open, Windows will deny access!