What's new

1964 for the masses.

crhylove

Banned
:pj64:

First off, just let me state that the new 1964 ROCKS!

Awesome job guys, and i'm a HUGE open source fan, you guys are right next to gandhi on my list.

Second off, on a totally unrelated note, i played Luigi's Mansion on a gamecube @ target, and i thought it was TOTALLY LAME. Mind you that was a brief first impression, but mario 64 for me is like THE KING of video games, and luigi's mansion was more like half 3d movie/half game, and I had directv so i don't need movies in my computer games thank you.

Just had to get that out there.

Thirdly, I'm having problems running 1964 with more than mario 64, mario kart and a few others. I am running a machine WAY below specs @ smiff's site, but it can handle those games remarkably well (lamborghini, mario, F-zero, f1, a bug's life) all seem to run great on a K-6 III, yes, you heard right, i'm getting playable n64 on a k6-3!!!!, however there are a SLEW of issues with all the other roms i've tried to run (slowness being expected on some, obviously with this dinosaur), and many seem gfx plugin related (no, i don't have the new pj64 1.4 plug, i don't have $$ for a $120 athlon, so obviously i can't donate to pj, although great work u guys also!), which again is no surprise since i'm running a ati rage 128 PCI. yes i know, again, way minimum spec...

I guess my main problem is finding a suitable gfx plugin. Most crash out and are unplayable completely (RCP, TRwin, others), the 1964 one has many bizzarre errors (missing polys, see through polys, wrong colors, wierd grids in the sky boxes, etc.), and jabo 1.3, although the best (so far i've tested), is a little resource heavy probably, and won't play my small list of goodn roms other than those mentioned.

Anyway, there was some talk of doin' a open source gfx plugin, and i think that'd be hot, what's everyone's advice/thoughts on all that?

specs:

amd-k6 III 400 mhz
192 mb
ati rage 128 PCI
generic snes type gamepad
win 98se
all the latest drivers and directx 8.0a (or 8.1, can't rem)

goodn romz:

bug's life
army men sarge
asteroids hyper
banjo-kazooie
beetle adventure
bomberman hero
chameleon twist
clayfighter
cruis'n USA
earthworm jim
f-zero x
f1 pole
goldeneye
lambo amer.
mariokart
rampage
starfox
super mario
tony hawk skateboard

:devil:

sk8bloke22

roll for life
well i wouldnt worry too much. some hav said this release is faster than corn, and corn was ridiculously fast. im not sure hwo well jabos D3d works with old ATI cards, eg. gfx probs. just attach any pics of any gfx probs on games which shouldnt hav gfx bug, and ill take a look. to get the beneficial speed increases that 1964 is so famous for, right click on a rom in the gui and increase the CF number. make sure u also use Azimar's 0.30 (old driver) for a fast sound plugin. the CF numbers will dramatically increase vi/s, but i dont know if it will give u full speed. some games like crusin'usa are slow on most systems, so the CF wont help u too much. howeva games like fzero and tony hawks should get very beneficial increases. if u select a very high CF like CF8, beware of very choppy gameplay - this howeva might be a better option than really slow gameplay. i can play most games on CF 1 or 2, including conker's. and im not sure which one, but one of the authors has a very low spec also and can get good speeds also. plsu 0.7.1 is meant to be even faster, so u shouldnt need to save up for that $120 athlon just yet. although saving $50 for a geforce 2 MX might be worthwhile.

OP
crhylove

crhylove

Banned
testin' .7.1 on the everyman machine.

I'll do that, i haven't messed with changin' CF's yet. I have ALOT of bizzarre gfx probs... but i'm guessin' 95% of em are gfx plugin probs... i'm usin' jabo 1.3, (yes even on my crappy ati rage 128), it's the only one that didn't crash right out and give me bizzare messages about changing my ui #'s or something in the gui (which i tried in vane repeatedly to do).

Some noticed changes:
Beetle adventure racing now has the proper sky, but the tree/mtn textures are whacked. they were whacked and green with .7.0, with .7.1 they are whacked and white... i don't know if that helps anyone... i'm not a real diligent beta guy, but i will be with some coaching ;) . also in beetle there's sparks now. yeah!

in mario 64 the colors are more accurate except the big head at the beginning of the rom is all shiny black... don't know why. also the text in the whole game is white and a big white box covers it up, luckily i've played it before... lol...

rhy

kingennio

rage128

crhylove,
I too have an ATI Rage on my PC and am experiencing the same graphics problems you mention. In many games textures are not rendered properly and polygons are completely black or white. I hope that Jabo 1.4 will cure same problems 'cause I'm eagerly waiting to play zelda oot which now is unplayable for me because I cant read dialogs, which are totally black :(