What's new

Direct3D Device Creation Problem.

Joni

There's minor bug that happens when for example adding Project64 shortcut into Media Center and launching it from there. What happens is that I select that shortcut and launch a game, then MCE releases D3D Device but before that Project64 gives an error that couldn't initialize device.

From MSDN article

There is one important issue you might see when you try doing this depending on your game initialization code. You may get an error when trying to create the Direct3D device because the Media Center UI and the game may compete for the same Direct3D device.

The performance and stability of the Media Center UI is due to the fact that it renders everything via Direct3D, typically in full-screen exclusive mode. This means that when the Media Center UI atempts to launch a full-screen game (from inside its Direct3D-based UI), the game may also try to immediately create a full-screen exclusive-mode device which can fail if the Media Center UI has not yet released it's Direct3D device.

Change the game initialization code so that the game delays creating an exclusive full-screen device until the device is available.

Full Article

I hope it's possible to fix that, it would be nice to launch N64 games from my sofa using remote and Media Center :).

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
or... you can just accept media center is g3y and run project64 like most normal people.

but hey.. each thier own...

Poobah

squall_leonhart said:
or... you can just accept media center is g3y and run project64 like most normal people.

but hey.. each thier own...
Rules Thread said:
... for people giving help:
  • answer the question e.g. "you need to change this setting", not "try another emu".
  • it is ok to refer people to the FAQ, threads, websites etc., if you know a good explanation already exists.
  • if you really don't know the answer, please don't post at all. Replies which don't help or educate people are just spam.
  • stay on topic! it's irritating to have your thread taken off topic.
Squall, your post was anything but helpful, and I'm sure the author of this thread will be disappointed to see that he has received a reply only to find out that it was spam.

squall_leonhart

my post was matter of factly and it does help the user.

the media center nots already stated the problem and where it lies. if he wanted to suggest this there is a thread for suggestions for 1.7

he already knows how to work around this issue, and all i said was to stop using media center and start it like the rest of us XP users.

Poobah

squall_leonhart said:
my post was matter of factly and it does help the user.
You think it's a fact that Media Centre is "g3y"? The author hasn't asked for people's opinions on Media Centre; he's instead asking if one of the developers (most likely Jabo) is able to implement the workaround mentioned in the MSDN article. Your post was not helpful.

squall_leonhart said:
he already knows how to work around this issue, and all i said was to stop using media center and start it like the rest of us XP users.
Exactly; you didn't help him at all, but instead spammed the thread by trying to force your preferences upon the author.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Joni, thanks for your post. i can't yet say if jabo will change anything, and you need to realise that any fixes are only available to members/donators until the next public release. i will pass this along to jabo though thanks.

one other thing - GameEx manages to launch PJ64 (v1.6) fine. GameEx is also installable as a plugin for MCE. you might want to take a look at this.
http://tomspeirs.com/gameex/
many people prefer it as a game launcher - i think it will let you do what you want now - with some learning curve. i launch PJ64 from my sofa ;) (although i don't use MCE, but this could work for those who do aswell)

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

Poobah said:
You think it's a fact that Media Centre is "g3y"? The author hasn't asked for people's opinions on Media Centre; he's instead asking if one of the developers (most likely Jabo) is able to implement the workaround mentioned in the MSDN article. Your post was not helpful.

Exactly; you didn't help him at all, but instead spammed the thread by trying to force your preferences upon the author.

....no but since MCE is gay i thought it just throw it in...

its even picky on what video drivers it will install...

OP
J

Joni

Smiff said:
Joni, thanks for your post. i can't yet say if jabo will change anything, and you need to realise that any fixes are only available to members/donators until the next public release. i will pass this along to jabo though thanks.

one other thing - GameEx manages to launch PJ64 (v1.6) fine. GameEx is also installable as a plugin for MCE. you might want to take a look at this.
http://tomspeirs.com/gameex/
many people prefer it as a game launcher - i think it will let you do what you want now - with some learning curve. i launch PJ64 from my sofa ;) (although i don't use MCE, but this could work for those who do aswell)

Thx. It would be nice fix if that code can be implemented easily. Also, I'm using Windows Vista build 5472 now, and that MSDN article applies into it too.