What's new

Joystick vs. Keyboard Problem

Cukeman

I'm running into a bit of a problem, which I assume has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find another topic on it at the moment.

As you already know, a keyboard is no match for an N64 controller when you're playing such touch-sensitive games as "Super Mario 64", or in my case "Ocarina of Time". These games, without the ability to ease movement on the keyboard like you can on a controller have made the game extra tedious. For example:

I've gotten more than half-way through "Ocarina of Time" on my computer with very little trouble. However now I'm stuck in a spot where it requires me to ease movement to aim the longshot and pressing the keyboard arrows either aims too high or too low with no in between, and can't complete the game as a result (I do have the original cartridge, but I don't feel like digging out the N64 to play it).

I don't feel like running out and buying a controller or joystick just to circumvent this one problem. Is there any other way around it? I had been thinking that if there was a way to use the mouse to aim in this situation, I'd be able to execute it without a problem, but the emulator doesn't seem to allow mouse support at all (since it would otherwise seem ludicrous).

Is there another way around this problem?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i'd suggest you run out and buy a gamepad (or adapter for one). if you're going to play even one game properly it's worth it.
mice have no centre point.

Christoffah

definately. I only use PJ64 once in a while, but still I bought a Boom N64 to USB converter for £10, which has often proven to be well worth the purchase.

OP
Cukeman

Cukeman

Actually, after changing my controller plugin to the N-Gage one, it made my keyboard movements a lot less jerky and was able to aim a lot better. This should sustain me well enough 'til something else arises.

Thanks again.