What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Texture Tiling Pattern Problems

HiReZ92

I've been texturing for Super Mario 64's lobby and I have been trying to redo the rug but have been having a little trouble. It seems that my rug texture is tiling itself so it looks a big pattern of squares. Is there a solution for this problem? :borg:

Last edited:

NoeOM

Mankind Member
An image is better than thousand words

A "descriptive" screenshot may help in these posts. Much more if the person who reads it doesn't know much english (wich is my case).

Please, post an screenshot of your problem, showing the undesired effect of the retexturing. Thanks!

tailslol

and witch version of plug you use for retexturing? i think old version of rice has sometime this prob but im not sure (it can be hardware too or bad compression)

OP
H

HiReZ92

Tile Problem Continue

I updated my rice plugin from 6.1.0 to 6.1.1 like you guys have suggested but still have the problem with the tiling but have updated the image for further detail. Here is my problem. As you can see the red rug is running on like a pattern and that is exactly what I don't want. Any suggestions now that you guys can see the problem?

View attachment 33256

Turgo

ahhh i see ok i know whats going on. What program are you using? If the program has a clone tool, try this. Take the clone tool and clone one side of the texture to the other and the the top to the bottom. then fade it in with the rest in the center and avoide the touching the out side while fading. also you could try to even out the color level on the texture. make it all the same tint, or shade. Feel free to contact me if you need anyother help. Im fairlynew to this, but I have a great knowlege to rely on.

OP
H

HiReZ92

Thanks Turgo!

I am using photoshop CS2 by the way and your suggestion worked for the clone tool. I do have another question that you might be able to answer. I am working on a project in which I am touching up textures in Mario 64 to make them have a realistic look. How would you go about in making flat textures such as rocks and bricks and give them depth and a 3-D look. I say this because I am having a hard time working on the roof tiles aswell outside of the castle and needed a stradegy on approaching the textures to make it stand out more.

Turgo

re to HiReZ92,
Another great question!
Well this is what i've learned. Faking perception of depth. Since most older games dont support bumpmaping. I would think to paint in the shading and lighting in the texture. Basicly....Since the roof tiles seem to only be used outside and the lighting doesnt change. this becomes easyer to do. In your head visualize what it would look like with that much sun hitting them. How much glow, or shading would it have? and the amount of shawdwing on them. also be be sure to keep your defeining lines clear, sharp, but well blended with the rest.
What I do when im editing i keep the emulator open and photoshop. I make a quick save of what im working on in the emu. When I save the image in photoshop, all I have to do is load the quie tcksave to update thexture as i go. Of course keeping the texture in the aporiate directory so as it can be loaded by the emulator.