What's new

Looking for a working emulator

kvn8907

I just got Rampage: Total Destruction from *a generic file-sharing program* a few days ago. I extracted the .RAR file, and got a 1.42 GB GCM file. However, I havn't found an emulator that both find the file (some won't even acknowledge it exists) and plays it. I've tried every GameCube emulator I've found. The closest I've gotten to being able to play the game was with Dolphin v.1.2 (1.3 didn't work). It is one of the few emulators I've found that actually loads the game, but the fps rate is so slow, it's not playable. I know that the GameCube is rather new, and that few have created working emulators for the system. I've also read that the point of some emulators are just to "show that GameCube games CAN be emulated", not to make a playable emulation. So, I was wondering 2 things: 1st, is there a way to increase the fps rate for Dolphin? 2nd, does anyone know of any other emulators designed to actually play emulations, not to "just show that they can be emulated"? I've tried out quite a few, but havn't found a working emulator yet :(.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Please read the stickied FAQ.

No current home computer is fast enough to make GameCube emulators run games at full speed. The emulators do work and they emulate games. Speed is secondary, always.

Last edited:
OP
K

kvn8907

Agozer said:
Please read the stickied FAQ.

No current home computer is fast enough to make GameCube emulators run games at full speed. The emulators do work and they emulate games. Speed is secondary, always.

Is the FPS purely a manner of amount RAM and computer speed, or is it also a manner of settings for emulators? If I were to, say, start my computer in safe mode, could that make the emulator run faster?

Also, though I know this is kind of an ambiguous question, why do some GC emulators run the GCM file, but not others, and why do many have errors? Is it just that GameCube is rather new?

WhiteX

FPS in Gamecube emulation is a matter of cleaning and optimizing up the code that now is going towards compatibility, you will have to wait to see if any of the current projects or new ones that may arise can do gamecube emulation with playable speeds and waht will be the specs to do so, now it is on alpha and beta stages and it is too soon to talk specs.
You can always buy a console, it is very cheap now, and enjoy all thos nice games.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The answer to both questions are no. There is no emulator that can play GC games perfectly nor at playable speeds.
They do not run all games because the emulators are in early stages and do not have great compability.

erix920

I have a AMD 4400+ X2 with 2 gb ram and I cannot run metroid prime 2 echoes without lag. The gamesystems are geared torward games, computer are geared to do pretty much anything. So unless you have an amazing graphics card alot of memory a FAST processor and a operating system that uses 50 mb of ram and the rest is dedicated to the emulatation process. And remember you processor is going to get rel hot so make sure everything is properly cooled :).

OP
K

kvn8907

WhiteX said:
FPS in Gamecube emulation is a matter of cleaning and optimizing up the code that now is going towards compatibility, you will have to wait to see if any of the current projects or new ones that may arise can do gamecube emulation with playable speeds and waht will be the specs to do so, now it is on alpha and beta stages and it is too soon to talk specs.
You can always buy a console, it is very cheap now, and enjoy all thos nice games.

How long do you think it'll be before someone comes up with a good GameCube emulator?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
kvn8907 said:
How long do you think it'll be before someone comes up with a good GameCube emulator?
We cannot say. Perhaps a year. Perhaps two. Perhaps 5.
It is a difficult process and is very requiring. The best we can it wait or get a gamecube/revolution.

BlueFalcon7

Doomulation said:
We cannot say. Perhaps a year. Perhaps two. Perhaps 5.
It is a difficult process and is very requiring. The best we can it wait or get a gamecube/revolution.
If you read up on the OSx86 stuff, and at apple, it mentions how stuff is made for Power PC, and "intel." But I also read that there are some instructions that SSE3 compatible procesors can do which allow the Mac OS to run Power PC applications on the intel core. There might be hope for GC Emulation sooner than we think.

Somebody help clear this up, or should I post it in the dolphin section and hope FiRES responds...

BlueFalcon7

Doomulation said:
If it is for "Intel," would it also work on "AMD"? That is the big question.
yes, if you read up on OSx86, it sais that AMDs work, its just that apple is not smart enough to switch to AMD. They use intel cores, so they say intel arcetecture, because most Mac users are n00bs, and dont know what x86 means.

Also shizzy, are you implying really good code optimization, with SSE3, and all that good stuff, or are you implying HLE...

and also, eventhough Im not really supposed to do this, what is your goal with the gekko? Like do you want it to compete with the great Dolphin-emu at first release?

Last edited:

Mouser X

While I basically agree, I do have to say that I don't like it when they say something like that. The reason is, is because it gets my hopes up, gets me anxious, or impatient. When they say something like that, it makes me want the release of the Gekko that much more. And for someone who is actually impatient (I'm pretty good at hiding it, I think), it can really be rather nerve racking. In most cases, I'd rather be left in the dark, and then slammed with a huge mind blowing surprise release...

As I said though, I basically agree. It can only mean good things when something like that is said by someone who knows what they're talking about... I look forward to the release of Gekko (even if it is still [enter random number here] years way). Good luck with it. Mouser X out.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
When they say something like that, it makes me want the release of the Gekko that much more. And for someone who is actually impatient (I'm pretty good at hiding it, I think), it can really be rather nerve racking.
That's what we like to hear :)

As for whether or not Gekko will compete with the other emulators at release, I guess you all will have to wait and see :watsup: