What's new

Requirements for making a bootable Dreamcast CDI

HiReZ92

I have been searching for ways on ways to burn my Dreamcast games into CDI formant and every method such as the programs listed below have not worked well with me.

Discjuggler
Alcohol 120%
BootDreams

Continuing my search of making CDI images, I came across methods using a coders cable and Dreamcast cable modem. Are these tools "actually' needed to make a CDI image or do you need the coder cable and the pc programs for a CDI image to work?

Which one of the two methods do I need to do to make a CDI image. If someone could give a tutorial on the steps to make CDI images with the programs and tools it would a great help.

Seaclaw

the silent watcher
hmmm... as far as I know Dreamcast disks are not able to be read by normal computer CD drives. Sega designed there own format for the dreamcast called GD-ROM. Some computers can read the first session which is just basic information. However the second session, were all the game data is stored is to dense for computer CD drives. As far as I know the only thing that can read dreamcast disks is the dreamcast and the dreamcast dev kits.
If your talking just about making a CDI file and playing it on the dreamcast use google there are plenty of tools that can do that.

Stezo2k

S-2K
There is a PC certain drive which can rip DC games with some type of trick

I think it was a Liteon drive, cant fully remember. I remember seeing it posted on here quite a while back, use the search

Seaclaw

the silent watcher
the only way to do it would be to hook your Dreamcast up to your comp using the internet cable. You would have to modify the game to fit on the CD though
GD ROMS hold up to a gig which is 300mb over what a CD R does

elektrixxx

Is it possible to use just the default Dreamcast modem and a phone line to your comp to back up games?

btw I'm aware that if it's possible, it'd take ages.