What's new

Dolphin emu for xbox?

BlueFalcon7

Well, considering that a GC runs on a Power PC processor, and if Im correct, the xbox runs on an x86 CPU. Emulating PPC codes on an x86 processor is very time consuming, and would not run at even close to full speed.

Its the same way with current computers. They have x86 CPUs and since its emulating a PPC processor on an x86, the result is 2 FPS.

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
While we're at it, can someone make a PS2 emulator for my TI-86 graphing calculator? I'm tired of playing tetris on it. Thx guys, u roolz.

Sercio

How can somebody make a Gamecube emulator for xbox If there is nobody right emulator for computer?
The Xbox is ~ 1 times faster then a Gamecube....
I guess my Computer is 20-30 times faster then a Gamecube Nevertheless my Dolphin is working fast but very unreliable!
Nobody can make a GC emulator for a Xbox ... even Nintendo (or microshit :)bouncy: )) himself!
You can also ask if its possible to emulate a Xbox360 on a PS3...
Maybe the Low-gen console Wii are (slowly) Emulateble on my Computer (?)
I hope that ;-)

Clements

Heh, very, very difficult verging on impossibility, and would have to be done on a per-game basis and would take several years to do at the very least even for a simple GC game (merely translating a PSX game takes years to work out decompression routines for fonts and graphics and all the other complications involved, let alone totally reversing engineering the entire game and then porting it to a completely different architecture).

BlueFalcon7

I read something about x86 processors having SSE3, which has like 13 more instructions, some of which help out alot in power PC emulation. I know that SSE3 is a very new thing that most people dont have, but would it help in power PC emulation enough to make it go from like 2% efficient to something noticible?

Nintendo Maniac

Elpenguino said:
can you see a proper gamecube emulator for the pc right now?

Well, one thing is that most PCs aren't running power PC CPUs :p And I'm kinda reffering to the future anyway cause you gotta do all the optimization and stuff still... GCN emulation isn't exactly very far >_>

Lightningxce

Clements said:
(merely translating a PSX game takes years to work out decompression routines for fonts and graphics and all the other complications involved, let alone totally reversing engineering the entire game and then porting it to a completely different architecture).

There is already a pertty much perfect PS1 emulator out for the Xbox already, it loads a .iso file and it..actually does work extremely well. o_o;

Toasty

Sony battery
Lightningxce said:
There is already a pertty much perfect PS1 emulator out for the Xbox already, it loads a .iso file and it..actually does work extremely well. o_o;
As Clements mentioned, that's emulation, not porting. Porting involves taking source code and compiling it into a binary for a new target architecture. Sometimes (at times very extensive) modifications have to be made to the source code in order to compile it for the new architecture.

In contrast, emulation takes place after compilation by analyzing the low-level machine instructions and translating them into equivalent instructions for the target architecture (recompiler) or going through them one-by-one and executing them individually (interpreter).

Porting a game from one console to another would be preferable for performance and accuracy, but the code has to be written so as to be easily portable, and whoever wants to port it needs to have access to the source code (which obviously complicates the porting of commercial games). Plus, porting would need to be done on a per-game basis, whereas emulators (so long as they are written accurately) only need to be written once to cover everything.