What's new

get PJ64 to play .7z files... read why inside

soccerdude21490

Hey guys well I downloaded a full N64 rom set, that has each game, but then each rom (since there are different versions) in the same "TitleOfGame".7z so if I try to extract them it will be HUGE files.. and IWas trying to burn this to 1 or 2 DVDs, but as far as I know PJ64 can not play .7z

smcd

so write a program or script to extract the 7z archives and delete all the non-good dumps then have it zip each file? Or worry with one game at a time and dump it yourself and it's much more likely you have a good dump plus it gives you the warm fuzzy feeling of having done it yourself and not violating copyrights. :p

Poobah

If you'd bothered searching, you would have realised that it is already (planned to be?) supported in the next version. If you have one or two DVDs, why not just burn most of them onto it? The PJ64 team isn't interested in fixing people's non-emulation related problems.

GE Master

.7z is a compression, like winrar. Download the .7z program, install, and double click a file with that extension. Extract, then you should have the actual file/program. They have a website.

OP
S

soccerdude21490

yes I know what .7z files are. I've already extracted 75% of them but it started coming out to like 26+GB compared to like 4GB when they were compressed so I was hoping that PJ64 would be able to run .7z files

Allnatural

soccerdude21490 said:
yes I know what .7z files are. I've already extracted 75% of them but it started coming out to like 26+GB compared to like 4GB when they were compressed so I was hoping that PJ64 would be able to run .7z files
I don't see a need for solid archive support. Once you seperate the known good dumps you'll be back down to about 3.5 GBs zipped (full US set).

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
You could try using the Quickplay frontend.

With this frontend you can use GoodMerged .7z files with virtual any emulator.

smcd

Allnatural said:
I don't see a need for solid archive support. Once you seperate the known good dumps you'll be back down to about 3.5 GBs zipped (full US set).

That's what I was suggesting. It's easy enough to write a perl script or the like to un7zip and delete the non-good dumps then zip each file that's left.

Poobah

One problem about the above method is that the total size will still be larger because 7-zip compresses much better than zip or rar.

Allnatural

Poobah said:
One problem about the above method is that the total size will still be larger because 7-zip compresses much better than zip or rar.
With solid archives perhaps (in comparison to rar), but I doubt there's an appreciable difference when compressing individual files. Plus, it's not as if hard drive space is at a premium these days.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Poobah said:

not true, i can pack ace 2.0 to the same or smaller then 7-zip.

Poobah

squall_leonhart said:
Poobah said:
not true, i can pack ace 2.0 to the same or smaller then 7-zip.

So are you saying that ace is zip? Or is it rar? I always thought it was an independent format like the others. Or are you just contradicting what I said because you like to do that?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
ace is a proprietary format of its own. rivalling, zip rar, 7-zip

7.zip itself is just a method of compressing zip files.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
squall_leonhart said:
ace is a proprietary format of its own. rivalling, zip rar, 7-zip

7.zip itself is just a method of compressing zip files.
Indeed, but Poobah stated that 7zip compresses better than zip or rar.
Then you claim that the statement isn't true - that you can compress a file with ace to be almost the same size. So... is ace zip or rar, then? Otherwise you've misread the statement.

Poobah

Well, from a little comparison I just did, I am led to believe that 7-zip is a lot better than ace:

Code:
"Zelda Final Update.zip" (Djipi's Cell Zelda Texture Pack)

Unarchived: RAR (solid): ACE (solid): 7-Zip (solid):
  51.9MB       40.7MB       37.6MB        37.3MB

"Tales of Phantasia (J) [!].smc"

Unarchived:    ZIP:    RAR:    ACE:    7-Zip:
  6.0MB       4.38MB  4.06MB  4.20MB   4.03MB

"Resident Evil 2 (U) [!].z64"

Unarchived:    ZIP:    RAR:    ACE:    7-Zip:
  64.0MB      62.0MB  61.9MB  62.3MB   61.8MB
I used the highest compression settings and largest dictionary sizes in all three utilities used. The latest versions of all three were also used.

Last edited:

smcd

Adjusting dictionary sizes and methods of compression (lzma, ppmd) can have *huge* effects on the resulting archive size in 7zip. Sometimes "ultra" compression results in a larger archive than a fast or normal compress with some tweaked options. Weird, but true.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The "compression mode" are basically profiles, and they do adjust the dictionary size and things, so yes...