What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Next Gen High Res Texture Ideas

HiReZ92

Would it be possible to revamp a game like Super Mario 64 and replace certain textures like the grass and water and use Super Mario Sunshine textures. I always thought it would be an amazing thing if you could change the outside castle to have the beautiful textures of a Super Mario Sunshine game. The same idea goes with a game like Banjo Kazooie. If this could be done the possibilities could be endless!:bouncy:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Possibly. It wouldn't make N64 games look like Gamecube games though!

Can you can even extract textures from Gamecube games?

OP
H

HiReZ92

What if you were to take several textures from screenshots of a Super Mario Sunshine type game or any other texture with glossy illustrations and photoshop them, then insert the textures to the outside map

Clements

AGM3002 said:
Isn't downloading roms and emulators illegal?

Emulators that contain no copyrighted material (like BIOS files) are 100% legal.

Downloading copyrighted ROM images from any unlicensed source is always illegal.

DarkCreed

Emulating Life
If you are going to be anal about it, then you had better take a long hard look at most of the other textures being circulated on these forums, half of them are illegaly "borrowed" from other sources, including some from Paper Mario 2 and others blatently from other websites and games...

Vanit

Firstly, we aren't being anal. There's nothing that can be done about it except shaming them (most already get shamed for taking them off google). Besides, just because other people on the forums do it it doesn't mean its right for you to do it, and, we won't condone that sort of thing really either.

I'm releasing a website soon, formerly HiRes Central, and we won't be giving hosting to packs that have stolen content from other games or texture authors.

Don't get me wrong I completely understand the good intention you have and it would be pretty cool to make SM64 resemble Sunshine. But again, its not legal and we don't really condone it.

Besides, if you're skilled enough with photoshop there's nothing stopping you from immitating the textures from Sunshine, you just aren't allowed copy pasta.

OP
H

HiReZ92

There is no possible way that you could play Sunshine on an emulator because of the fact that IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY EMULATOR!!!!! So for those who are complaining about the legal problems with this idea Mario Sunshine is not fully playable with any emulator like Dolphin. I was just asking if you could cut out some textures of screenshots let's just say from any game photoshop them and put them in the hi res folder.

Considering there is not any tutorial for creating your own textures out there I just wanted to know the steps and possibilities. This would be very helpful to me and aswell as the members of Emutalk so we don't run into the "Legal Issues" explained above.

Much Thanx

Last edited:

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
Having experience of looking at Wind Waker textures while working on the various Zelda re-texturing projects, I have found that most Wind Waker textures aren't big enough to be used in a 4x texture size. At most many of the textures are only 2, 2.5 times the size of the N64 ones.

OP
H

HiReZ92

So are you saying that glossy graphic games such as, Starfox Adventures, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and other cartoony yet high detailed textures can't be used in N64 type games because of their size?

Could I cut out images and put them in PNG format then place them in my hi res folder and name them the same as the dumped textures.

So how would I go about to making my own textures using vivid glossy games that are mentioned above? I was inspired by the Cel shading that could be done in Mario 64 and Zelda

And lastly can I ask you what kind of Zelda retexturing you are working on because I just wanted to know if people were working on the same kind of ideas I am planning and wanted to see how you would approach these ideas.

Much Thanx

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
I have been working with Federelli, on his pack, i worked with Djipi on his Cel-Shaded Ocarina of Time pack, and me and Djipi are currently working together on a Majora's Mask Pack in the same style as Wind Waker.

You could use the textures from a GameCube game, make sure they are 2 times the size of the original N64 dumped tile, but we have avoided using the textures directly, and have drawn our own in the same style as the Wind Waker tile we use as an example, and then draw it 4x the size of the original N64 texture, so we get the highest quality we can.

OP
H

HiReZ92

Ok thanx

The Majora's Mask/Wind Waker is going to be amazing can't wait for that. I've been waiting for something like that really cool keep me updated with the release date!

Thanks a lot

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
I haven't seen Super Mario Sunshine, but it's quite possible (even likely) that it uses shaders (such as pixelshaders) for surfaces. Advaned effects such as normal-mapping, specular mapping, etc.... these are beyond regular textures and can't be implemented with just a simple file change.