What's new

Problem: No text

Q-chan

As per the title, I have no text. None in the game (Grandia 2), none on the boot screen. And while the other symptoms may not be a serious problem, it is an alpha release after all, they may help in a diagnosis so here they are: No real images or textures, just polygons. Sound: okay. FMV appears as a triangle covering half the screen. CPU: 100, FPS: 37.27/30. It _is_ an Intel (T2400, duo) and while I expect problems, I don't quite see these problems being manifest by a lack of text. Though, for all I know I'm just missing a layer. Anyway, any suggestions to fix this?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Computer specs please, especially graphics card. Past experiences with users posting similar problems lead me to believe that your graphics card (or chip) is subpar for for Chankast.

OP
Q

Q-chan

Genuine Intel(R) CPU
T2400 @ 1.83GHz
987 MHz, 0.99 GB of RAM
Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Video Chipset Brand: Intel
Video Chipset: Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
Shared Video RAM (Max): 128 MB

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I think thats your problem. Onboard graphics cards usually do not work well with emulators

Agozer

Exactly what I was afraid of. There's really no nice way of saying this, but the Intel Graphics Media Acceletor chip is probably the worst thing you can have as far as gaiming is concerned. Sure, that chip works with emulated 2D games well, but as soon as you start going 3D, expect problems such as the one you are having.

Chankast especially works very poorly with any kind of integrated graphic chip, as it requires a good pixel shader support (which most integrated chips don't have) and and a number of other shader and graphics functions (which again, most integrated chips lack or have earlier and inadequate implementations of said functions).

My suggestion to you is to get am actual video card, instead of an integrated solution. The only integrated graphics chips that I know and have better capabilities are ATi's Mobility Radeon series and nVIDIAs equivalents.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
May I suggest A Nvidia geforce 6800 256mb? My cousin has one and he can run chankast at full speed with every game i have tried!

Agozer

Q-chan said:
My My My, looks like it's getting deported to my desktop then. Thanks!
You do that.

Emulating 3D games on laptops isn't exactly a gamer's dream. You need a good desktop computer for that.