What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Playstation Retexture

loren

Hey, Don't bash me for being in the wrong forums~I couldn't find the correct forum.

Anyways, is it possible to do a Playstation High-Res Re-texture? Also, how hard is it to rip textures from PSX games?

If you're gonna bash, ignore this post.

Clements

Pete Bernert stated on many occasions that it would be impossible to retexture PlayStation games, so I would be inclined to agree with him.

OP
L

loren

I did some research of my own and I very much disagree,

From what I found out the plugin to allow re-texturing merely has not been created yet,

but actually for my more specific needs-such as in the Final Fantasy Series, for the PC version a retexture, midi rip, movies rip, and various other rips are very very real

http://www.qhimm.com

Vanit

Thats a PC game though, thats a completely different story (and there isn't much to retexture in FF7 anyways).

Pete Bernet is basically the authority on PSX plugins and if he says it can't be done, I too, am inclined to believe him over someone who simple says, 'oh I did some research and its possible.' Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like to see what evidence you're basing that claim on.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I imagine it would be a lot harder to retexture a PSX game than it would a n64game as well.

OP
L

loren

Vanit:
I said it "my [...] specific needs". As for believing Pete Bernet over me, I could honestly care less... nuff said.

Zion:
I agree, PSX Games are built much differently and kindof funky in "my opinion". It still would be cool

Kerber2k

I would rather see somone start trying to figure out how to have higher resolution textures in Dreamcast. :homestar:

Vanit

I was the one that released the patch for FF7 PC that converted Cloud's model to his hidden beta model (outside of battle, not to be confused with the hi res cloud model in the final battle).

loren: My point was he's an expert... and you're not. Again I'm not trying to insult you in anyway but you've yet to give us any indication of how you figure it is a possible in the near future.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Knowing how well Pete Bernert understands the PSX's GPU routines, I'd say that people should really listen to what he has to say. Like someone already pointed out, you can't really compare rextexturing a PC port to retexturing the original PSX version.

DarkCreed

Emulating Life
In all reality, to retexture the original PSX port for use with emulation is a whole different ballpark that rassembleing it for use with a modded PSX system. The later is near impossible at this moment, the former, is, not nearly as difficult as everyone here is trying to make it (my honest opinion, no basis off of fact, simply my time spent with professional engine designers and code monkeys makes me think otherwise.)

Vanit

I know it would be feasible to make a high resolution plugin for an emulator that loads the textures externally. But with regards to playing the game on an actual PSX I can see 2 main problems. First of all changing the size of the textures means you have to change the LBA pointers on the disc which is different for everygame. Second of all the PSX can't read anything bigger than a CD so it wouldn't be possible to retexture games that are already 700mb.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
There are still some things which are important:
The N64 Emu/plugin loads the texture outside so it doesn't matter how big the original game is! But it always was and would be a problem to try these game on a real N64, that's why the emu reads it it outside! It wouldn't be a problem to read a game which is already 700MB for the PSX on an emu like it isn't a problem to retexture a game which has 256MB on the N64-emus!
But it is a problem to create a plugin which can do that!
And Pete Bernert is the Master of PSX GPU Plugins, so when he can't do it, that doesn't mean, that nobody can do it, but it would be very hard and you need a big PSX GPU knowledge! Probably lewpy could do it! ^^
No just a joke...
But I really don't think it is IMPOSSIBLE! DId you ever thought some years ago, that we will have some retexture projects and 2 plugins which can change textures (probably 3, when orkin returns)?
Did you know, that there is also a emu, which can retexture old dos games?
I also have a version of satourne which this feature! That are all really different things, but you see, it's always possible with enough knowledge and the needed passion for this stuff, that you could create such a plugin in my opinion...
(offtopic: my first post since over a half year... f*cking exams!)

Last edited: