What's new

Ideas dead? + Thoughts On The Future Of DS Emulation.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I remember reading a post from Evrain about a week ago saying that Lino had got a new job and is now unable to work on Ideas? Is this true?

If it is, I have to say how sadened i am. :(

I think it's such a shame 2 of the most talented programmers out there (Lino & YopYop) no longer are in a position to work on there emulators.

I also think a lot of the Warez kids and all the piracy talk on the DS thread (eg. I just downloaded Mario Kart DS why cant i play it) has a lot to do with it as well.

Hopefully someone will take over the source code of Ideas and pick up were Lino left off. I still think though that, if a NDS emulator fully supports commercial games, it should be released AFTER the DS has ceased production.

But i still think you can never say never in emulation. Just a few weeks ago I and (im sure) thousands of others, never could of dreamed of a N64 emulator on the PSP. Then Bam! it was here out of nowhere, Mabye someone already has made a working DS emulator but are waiting until the time is right to release it?

Edit : I would just like to say well done to Lino on his new job, and thanks to YopYop and Lino for all their hard work on the Emulators. Bust of luck for the future guys!

Last edited:

Ieremiou

I do know that DeSmuMe will continue on since it is open source and being actively worked on.. Bit by bit things will come into play. As of now there are many things been done. I know this for a fact.

source is always available at http://desmume.cvs.sourceforge.net

also if you have the ability (which i do have) you can build the current cvs with MinGW/MSYS (i don't know about other compilers).

There hasn't been anything critical done yet except that everything is being ported to a more maintainable code from CPP to C etc.

As of now the cvs is similar in function to the desmume 0.3.4 version going around. Eventually things will come back but be patient. (even i'm not that patient ;))

Last edited:

Cyberman

Ok I'll let this thread slide for now, because I'm trying to be patient. However I'm not sure why people keep bringing this up. It's already being discused in comparison thread of DeSmuME and iDeaS comparison.

First information about Ideas becoming undead.

Thread mentioning what will likely happen to the source.

As I said in that thread I look at it as a positive thing. Even TR64 has Ice Pir8 working on bits and pieces (or maybe not it's been a while :D). Nothing is truely dead and gone if you look at what was said.

Weather someone has stopped permanently working on something or has decided they needed a ciesta.. everyone is a person here and they do have lives. For whatever reason he had, it doesn't matter it was the programmers choice. I can understand his reasons for not working on it better than probably anyone. I have to scuttle projects all the time even though I want to do them :D

Cyb

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Sometimes, I'm amused at how much Sony has changed: what happened to that oh-so-easy-to-crack Playstation we all "loved" (ha!) and "cared for"? Dear Go, I think they just took every single DRM system available and threw it in the mix, I wouldn't be surprised if even XCP was there. AFAI'mC, the only title I want to play is Evangelion 2 Another Case, if I want yet another GTA I can play the home version.

Anyway, back on topic, I really hope an emulator will be out only after the DS' lifespan (which, to be honest, will be quite long, judging by the unbelievably high sales all over the world, I have no idea how the guys at Nintendo managed to pull that out), as a loyal owner and user -Moonshell is plain great- I was saddened and a bit angered by the horde of noobs assaulting me and Lino. My advice was, and still is, buy one. It'll really be worth your money. Oh, and get yourself a copy of Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright: those titles are true masterpieces.

Can't wait to see Second Opinion on Wii: it's shaping up pretty well.
Evrain

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Yeah I love my DS! And hope once the DS is gone, we can see a fully fledged DS emulator!

And sorry for the noobish question but what is the Wii?

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
OK just looked into it. Nintendo Wii is the new name for the console, which used to be named revolution. What does Wii stand for though?

spotanjo3

It didnt mentioned what Wii stands for...yet. Why dont you email Nintendo and asked that question ? :p

Low Lines

It doesn't mean anything....except the word it is orginated from "we" as Nintendo thinks it will bring us together in a gaming sync. It was also called that for language purposes as things such as GAMECUBE and NINTENDO DS are quite different when spoken in different languages but the word "Wii" is a sound fairly common in a lot of languages so just about anyone would have some idea as to what people are talking about.

I could rant on, but I simply suggest checking out the Nintendo Wii site as they give you a very clear explanation as to why they called it "Wii".....I am still dreading the day when my dad asks "Hey son what are you doing?" And I'll have no choice but to reply "I'm playing with my Wii dad." Shall I say more??:(

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Yeah I think I will! Still have to configure my email account though..
Can only recieve email not send!!

It's a 10 min job but Im just to lazy to do it!

Evrain

The Forbidden One
If for once worldwide players are going to see beyond plain graphics (which, IMHO, was the cause of PS2 and X360's success) and look at gameplay and innovation, Wii could very well be the first shake to Sony's hold on the home entertainment market.
Just have a look at Trauma Center 2nd Opinion, Red Steel or MP3: Corruption: maybe you can't see even the smallest beard stub on the character's face, but I'm sure you will have quite a lot of fun with that remote.
PS3 will be great but, what the hell, it's a CONSOLE! We don't need enough computing power to challenge the NSA! And I most certainly won't waste my monthly paycheck for that :D
Evrain

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Yep. hopefully like the DS, innovation is so far beating just fancy graphics.

(DS selling more than PSP in Japan) :p

DeathFox007

zion said:
Yep. hopefully like the DS, innovation is so far beating just fancy graphics.

(DS selling more than PSP in Japan) :p

Dude, thats the most stupid thing I ever heard. The only reason the DS is selling more in Japan is coz Nintendo keeps releasing tons of recolors/remake of the DS. And Japanese people consider it a fad rather than a gaming console, and most Japanese owns several DS

spotanjo3

DeathFox007 said:
Dude, thats the most stupid thing I ever heard. The only reason the DS is selling more in Japan is coz Nintendo keeps releasing tons of recolors/remake of the DS. And Japanese people consider it a fad rather than a gaming console, and most Japanese owns several DS

Not only that but Nintendogs and Metroids are the most popular there as well as touch screens attracted people more. PSP is almost like PSX/PS2 version and nothing is new expect it is just portable.

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
DeathFox007 said:

It isn't stupid. It's a lot more than silly covers and remakes. It's because the nitnendo ds is original. It has a touchscreen, it has more original games than the psp, it has.........need I go on?

DeathFox007

^ Now you just proved your an idiot. I wasn't referring to the DS as a stupid handheld, but the idea of it being more better than PSP just coz it sold well in Japan.

spotanjo3

Take it easy. It is not a place to fighting over this silly discussion. We are here to share our thoughts, facts, and an opinions and stay calm. That's all.

EDIT: It is not necessarily means the NDS sold very well in JAPAN. The PSP is fun as well but NDS is very different and more excite than PSP because a PSP is like a secondhand to PSX/PS2 console but with a portable.

That might be the reason why JAPANESE people liked NDS so much. A touchscreen is the reason why it is very popular there.

Last edited: