What's new

Questions about Zelda: MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenslyn87

Hi, I've been playing a bit of Majoras mask for the emulator, and it's great. I have a couple of questions though, that I hope you guys can help me with!

Is it really normal that you lose all the maps you have over the different areas when you use the song of time and warp back to first day? I didn't think it worked that way?

That was the most important question.

On a sidenote, I have one more question. It's nothing, really, but it could turn out to be.

The game seems to work fine, but compared to my PAL version for the gamecube, N64 and old emulator, there are very few minor changes. The biggest one I've noticed is that in the swamp part of the game, where you have to save the witch (kotume or something) in the woods, it isn't the same as in my version. There, you first visited the potion shop, got the task to find the missing witch, then you would come back to the potion shop and get the drink for her, bring it to her and then you could use the boat ride thingie.

In this version, when I first want to enter the shop there's a little sequence where the witch that owns the shop flies into the woods. Then, when you enter the woods and follow the monkey, you see that witch first flying around looking for the missing witch. If you follow the monkey further you find the missing witch. After that, you meet the witch from the shop again, get the drink and enter the woods to give the drink to the missing witch and then you can use the boat ride.

It's not like the changes bother me, I just want to know if that's just the way the NTSC version is so that I haven't got like a wrong version of the game that would screw up at some point or something. I want to find out before I get too far... So, do you know if this is just because I have the NTSC version now?

Typify

Nolife
1. You don't lose maps.

2. Whatever happens depends on the day you get to the place the witches are in.

OP
J

Jenslyn87

Thanks!

About the maps... I'll check it out after I'm done with the first temple, but I'm pretty sure I lost the map over clocktown and woodfall

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Using the song of time resets to the first day

certain things are gone afterwards

All the temples are reset, and you lose all maps, and money.

some items stay with you.

mainly

Masks, weapons, ammo, songs.

but yeah... maps and money are lost.

squall_leonhart

yes. that is correct. but the maps you get by just exploring and in temples are ;)... although it has been sometime since i played MM....

hmm.. i still have to investigate the time>space theory.... apparently the link from MM is supposed to be the link in one of the other games... apparenelty thats why Ganon was able to destroy hyrule and WW happened... becoz link was lost in another alternate reality where time moved slower. so while 3 days passed in MM. like 1000 years passed in Hyrule.

i wish they'd 3dify the original games :D

ahm... but anyway..

Last edited:

yegosimo

Bug Killer
no u dont lose Tingle's maps.. you're buying them!
then Tingle would be millionaire don't u think?
yeah squall i agree.. they should have 3dify or w/e the other games
i wish there was like a second version of OoT for the gamecube with better graphics

squall_leonhart

not better graphics, the gamecube just has an increases resolution and isn't scan lined so it appears to be better.

the game you are reffering to is Master quest, but i believe on the bonus disk you also got the original game and MM as well??? some help with that pls?

anyways. you can get Master Quest to run on Project 64... ..most usually its in the same download archive as the original OoT (is that against the rules to say that?)

Poobah

squall_leonhart said:
not better graphics, the gamecube just has an increases resolution and isn't scan lined so it appears to be better.
People playing zelda on the GC are already experiencing an increased resolution. Aren't scanlines part of the TV and not the video sent to it? Anyway, I don't know why you wouldn't want a re-release of OOT with better graphics, because it would be great.

squall_leonhart said:
the game you are reffering to is Master quest, but i believe on the bonus disk you also got the original game and MM as well??? some help with that pls?
The bonus disc only contained OOT and MQ. The Collector's Edition disc, however, contained MM as well as some others.

squall_leonhart

Because OoT is perfect as it is.

the n64 outputs in 320x240 which on large tv's will show as interlaced, smaller tv's don't, (which is odd as the Sony PS1 outputs that as well and isn't interlaced on my big tv...)

the Gamecube out puts in 640x480 or 800x600 which is much higher and doesn't require scan lines as every line is filled by a pixel, scan lines are the result usually of either being designed that way, or the video doesn't have enough pixels across the screen to show them with double scan enabled.

if you've ever played Abes Oddysey you'll know what Double scan does.

Poobah said:
Anyway, I don't know why you wouldn't want a re-release of OOT with better graphics, because it would be great.
you can already retexture the game using 1964 and rices plugin.

but it would be nice to have a more realistic OoT, but its stil fine the way it is.

Last edited:

Poobah

squall_leonhart said:
i wish they'd 3dify the original games :D
They definitely are great the way they currently are, but as you said, it'd still be great if they improved the visuals of the originals.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
squall_leonhart said:
the n64 outputs in 320x240 which on large tv's will show as interlaced, smaller tv's don't, (which is odd as the Sony PS1 outputs that as well and isn't interlaced on my big tv...)

the Gamecube out puts in 640x480 or 800x600 which is much higher and doesn't require scan lines as every line is filled by a pixel, scan lines are the result usually of either being designed that way, or the video doesn't have enough pixels across the screen to show them with double scan enabled.

if you've ever played Abes Oddysey you'll know what Double scan does.
Don't be silly! Do you know what scanlines are? Scanlines are part of the TV. It is true that a game can output in two modes, however: interlaced and progressive. ALL consoles output in interlaced UNLESS the game supports output in progressive. Stop making stuff up.

squall_leonhart

im not making stuff up.
smaller TV's never show that they are interlaced because the pixels aren't stretched across the screen.

the higher the resolution a console out puts the less you will see scanlines as the image is less stretched across the screen.

the same goes for plugin a monitor into the S-video on your video card.

320-240 looks shockingly scan lined, but you can increase the resolution (usually to a max of 1024x768) and it looks clear, with no scan lines... only problem is, is that tv's only display 30fps, which is why it flickers like crazy.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
this is another terminology confusion - "scanlines" can mean two different things:

1) literally, the visible lines that the electron gun in a tv draws horizontally; each pass across the screen. using this definition, the *image* on a CRT is composed of scanlines (this is true). in electronics, this is the definition normally used.

2) it can also refer to being able to see the gap (dark areas) *between* the visible lines, that occurs when a lower resolution is used and the electron gun misses many of the phosphors on the screen. the unlit phosphors seem to form a set of horizontal dark stripes. this is more visible on larger screens or if you get close to the screen, and if the screen is well focused. in gaming, this is the definition normally used.

(of course, the scanlines are really always there: it's just whether you can see them or not)

"interlacing" is a different thing (this is the order the lines are drawn in). you can have visible scanlines with or without interlacing (for example, my old Sony CRT monitor had obvious scanlines in lower resolutions, but it was of course using progressive scan). interlacing shows up as a vertical bobbing/jitter on narrow horizontal edges in the image. interlacing is also most visible with low resolutions on large screens.

Last edited:

toxicmisfit86

ToxicMisFiT86
Bad Video Pluggin

Hey im having a load of trouble with certain games ie golden ie can anyone suggest a decent plugin that works with 1964 and show me how to get it???

squall_leonhart

make your own thread, don't steal this one.

thanks for the info Smiff.

but something i have noticed is that the interlacing or w/e although is a feature of a tv is actually rendered from the N64.

it outputs in a 320x240 interlaced format, which is why the lines appear.

the PS1 outputs in a 320x240 non interlaced format which is why it doesn't have those lines.

Doomulation

I confess I haven't seen a progressive TV, but still, scanlines are part of the TV (CRT), unless you have LCD or Plasma. But those "lines" are always there, whether or not you use interlaced or progressive, because that is how CRT TVs works. Progressive will simply reduce the flickering because it updates all the lines each second, and not half.

squall_leonhart

yes, i meant interlaced all along, i get those 2 mixed up alot.

Scanlines are are how the little laser guns inside the CRT screen draw the image as it scans across the inside.

Interlace are the black bars that are placed horizontally along low res image.

i meant to say all along, that the N64 outputs in an interlaced format, where as other consoles don't.. sony doesn't and never has, but the Gamecube does appear to as well.

Progressive scan is commonly found on HI-DEF, LCD, Plasma and projection TV's, but is on some higher qualty CRT TV's

Doomulation

squall_leonhart said:
Interlace are the black bars that are placed horizontally along low res image.
No... interlaced means that (basically), the image is created in such a way to be displayed with half the lines each time it draws the screen, thus effectively drawing it 30 times per second (full images).

i meant to say all along, that the N64 outputs in an interlaced format, where as other consoles don't.. sony doesn't and never has, but the Gamecube does appear to as well.

Progressive scan is commonly found on HI-DEF, LCD, Plasma and projection TV's, but is on some higher qualty CRT TV's
Bzzt... wrong. If a console outputs a progressive picture to a TV which doesn't support it (and whoa, there are lots of those; and it probably didn't exist or very rare when the SNES and Playstation were top consoles) the picture will not be pretty.
But the gamecube, I know, CAN output progressive scan, if the game supports it. You must have a progressive capable TV as well.

To sum it up: interlaced and progressive are two different ways of how data is stored when sent to the TV.

squall_leonhart

Doomulation said:
No... interlaced means that (basically), the image is created in such a way to be displayed with half the lines each time it draws the screen, thus effectively drawing it 30 times per second (full images).

Bzzt... wrong. If a console outputs a progressive picture to a TV which doesn't support it (and whoa, there are lots of those; and it probably didn't exist or very rare when the SNES and Playstation were top consoles) the picture will not be pretty.
But the gamecube, I know, CAN output progressive scan, if the game supports it. You must have a progressive capable TV as well.

To sum it up: interlaced and progressive are two different ways of how data is stored when sent to the TV.

duh, but i mean on tv's that don't support progressive scan.

when i put it on my tv in my lounge room, and load up WW, the image is interlaced. although.. its hard to tell becoz of the difference in resolution between 64 and gamecube.

i hope the Revolution will increase the resolution of old games

Status
Not open for further replies.