What's new

Windows Vista System Requirements

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Windows Vista will come in two versions, one core version and one premium.
I don't know if this is the recommended specs or if it's minimum. Well look at the specs and double/tripple it (usually works with everything :p) then will you probably be able to run it a little smooth.

Core version:
* 800 MHz processor
* 512 MB RAM-memory
* 15 GB free space
* A directx 9 compatible video card.

Premium:
* 1 Ghz processor
* 1 GB RAM-memory
* Video card with support for Pixel Shading 2.0 (directx 9 compatible)
* 128 MB video memory
* 15 GB free space
* DVD-reader
* Internet

Last edited:
OP
arnalion

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Hehe must test...

EDIT: The program couldn't tell me if i could use Vista or not, well it's a microsoft beta program ^^. I'm sure i can run the OS anyway. But i can run Windows XP on a 300MHz PII with 64MB ram, but it's laggy. Many people will probably be able to run the OS but not smooth.

Last edited:

Jakob

evil *******
I'd go with the premium specs as the bare minimum for running vista, hell, winxp can get slow on 512MB of ram

OP
arnalion

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Jakob said:
I'd go with the premium specs as the bare minimum for running vista, hell, winxp can get slow on 512MB of ram

Agrees. I think 512MB ram for XP is a must and 1024MB recommended ^^.

Jale

N00bis Hi-Res Texture Maker
I need to upgrade my DirectX 8.1 card and my 40 GB hard drive. 15 GB is just too much for an OS.

Flash

Technomage
And... what you'll get with all that 15gigs ? Lots of software like with 3+ Gb linux installation ?
Nope. just lots of pictures ( eye candy is more important than OS stability, you know, and in MS they don't know about scalable vector graphics, they use bmp), useless components (and of course you can't remove them) You don't want all that useless shiny stuff and want to use ol' good 9x/NT/2K explorer ? You can, but you can't uninstall all that Aero,Luna,Marz,J00piter or whatever they call it.

And. I've updated linux - from KDE 3.3.0 to KDE 3.5.2, kernel 2.4.32 to 2.6.15 - well, +100 megs on HD and +12Mb RAM. No need to upgrade, right?

I've even installed MacOS X 10.4 Tiger on ancient PowerBook G4-400 w/ 80Gb HDD and 384M RAM.
Yes it was a bit slow, but with 768M RAM (+$50) it works just great.
Now we'll try Vista on P3-700/768/8M Rage 128. Yes, it will boot but it will be unusable.

Jakob

evil *******
the part about vista which I am most anticipating is the user permissions, ms has apparently finally pulled their heads out of their collective ass and implemented a unix-like permissions system, whether or not it'll work as advertised is another story, but it'd be nice to de-infest a machine of spyware by wiping a user account instead of the hdd

BoggyB

Um, have you ever actually looked at Windows permissions? And we're talking a Windows NT based system with NTFS drives, not Windows 98 with FAT.

Windows by default allows you to set multiple per-user and per-group allow/deny permissions on every single object. It also distinguishes between inherited and explicit permissions. Linux, by default, gives you read/write/execute permissions for the file owner, the file group and everyone else (plus sticky bits).

How are Linux permissions "better" than Windows permissions?

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
BoggyB said:
Um, have you ever actually looked at Windows permissions? And we're talking a Windows NT based system with NTFS drives, not Windows 98 with FAT.

Windows by default allows you to set multiple per-user and per-group allow/deny permissions on every single object. It also distinguishes between inherited and explicit permissions. Linux, by default, gives you read/write/execute permissions for the file owner, the file group and everyone else (plus sticky bits).

How are Linux permissions "better" than Windows permissions?

I was going to tell the real facts but there's no point to argue with a moron