What's new

GC documentation

ElvenProgrammer

Hello there, I'm working on my emulator since I'm studying DSPs at school. My project is not meant to be working, it's just a way to spend my little spare time.

At the moment I'm working on the apploader so I'm far from running something. In order to help my task I'm here to ask for documentation and source code.

My references at the moment come from gcube0.4 and dolwin source code, "yet another gamecube documentation" and this one: DSP documented.

Can anyone provide me any firther link to either source code or documentation? :cat:

Best regards

BlueFalcon7

Well since you are working on an emulator, you might want to get info from 0r9's documents, I beleive hes the one who wrote the Dolwin, and the GCemu source might help. For other sources of info, you might want to look up the gamecube linux project. Shizzy is in the process of writing a gamecube emulator. If you want any info on some of the model formats, Thakis could help you with .bmd/.bdl used in nintendo games like Mario Kart Double Ddash, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, etc. Also, saraharp could help you with .cmdl in Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime 2 models. If you want to know something, we will tell you what we know (except where to get Isos.) While I cant speak for anyone, Im sure they are willing to help.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Hop on #Gekko on Efnet IRC and maybe we can chat (and share code etc). Myself, aprentice, and thakis are working on a current wip gc emulator that runs a bunch of demos, and there's usually one of us around :)

Last edited:

_Chrono_

aka Chrono Archangel
ShizZy said:
Hop on #Gekko on Efnet IRC and maybe we can chat (and share code etc). Myself, aprentice, and thakis are working on a current wip gc emulator that runs a bunch of demos, and there's usually one of us around :)

lies! your always sleeping, ap is always out and thakis doesnt exist :evil:
:p

seriously, yeah hope on #gekko, they're a fun buntch of guys
check out or9's documents here:
http://dolwin.emulation64.com/index.php?page=documents

OP
E

ElvenProgrammer

Hop on #Gekko

Done ;)

Anyway what I'm mostly interested in, is a reference of CPU instructions, most of the documentation I read talk about them, their format, opcodes and what else, but I can hardly find how they really work, I also got the PowerPC 740 datasheet from IBM and even if I didn't read the whole 600 pages, I'm pretty sure not much is explained there. Probably I'm missing something fundamental. Any help would be appreciated, of course I could just copy and paste gcube/dolwin code, but I'd like to understand how things work first.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
The UM and PEM are the guides you need. If you don't mind stay legit, find someone who will "loan" you the Gekko UM.