What's new

Homebrew/emulators for Sega CD?

standupjack

Hey, I'm a noob here, forgive me if this has been asked before...

Does anyone know if anyone has tried, or has made available any sort of classic system emulators for Sega CD? That is, anything that can boot Sega Genesis, Master System, etc. games on the Sega CD system.

It would seem that the Sega CD would be a very easy system to explore homebrew opportunities, and I know that people have cracked the Dreamcast wide open to do this very task, but the Sega CD was the last Sega system that I owned (and that was a JVC X'Eye, which is sort of rare nowadays).

I was just wondering if the same thing that people have done for Xbox, PSP, Game Boy Advance, Dreamcast, etc. is possible on a Sega CD? I have a plethora of Genesis ROMs and it would be great to play them with my Sega controller on my television, even if the translation isn't PERFECT.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Not that I know of. The Sega CD isn't exactly very powerful, and processing power the first thing emulation needs. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Last edited:
OP
S

standupjack

Hmm

Yeah the system was pretty weak... and you'd probably at least need the power of a 32X-CD to do that and very few people have that complex of a setup.

But it seems like they pull off emulation fairly well on the Game Boy Advance, where you can use the flash cartridges or whatever, just load them up with a bunch of ROMs and, say, an NES emulator and play them without a hitch and although the GBA was a 32 bit system (technically...) it's still not the most powerful system.

I just figured Sega CD probably had the least complex setup and absolutely no copy protection measures implemented.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I have a solution for you. Buy a tv card for your PC. And buy a control adapter for your PC. Then you can watch your favorite games on your TV while using your Sega controller! simple

OP
S

standupjack

I use a laptop, so my output options are limited, ha.

I found a fairly obvious solution to play most of my ROMS on a television since my last post, however.

I own a GameCube, a Game Boy Player and recently purchased a SuperCard CF, where you can load roms onto a compactflash memory card to play on a GBA/NDS/GBP. It supports (out of the box) Sega Master System, Game Gear, Game Boy, GBC and NES, and external emulators for Famicom, SNES, etc. While this doesn't help me with my Genesis ROMs, it covers the rest of the bases and I can play them on a large screen with reasonable clarity (and real-time saves!).