What's new

What about a Project64 PSP Emu?

Nekojin

Hi,

the Daedalus is already aviable on the PSP and except from sound and speed looks very great, did you never had the idea to code an emu for the PSP?

Sure is, that you guys are the elite on N64 Coding^^

Just wanted to ask you this.

linkenski

here's one playing SM64 on a PSP [video=google;700765443479448601]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=700765443479448601&q=super+mario+64+psp[/video]

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I have no idea why people get excited about 64 emulation on a psp - I couldn't even get the genesis emu to run at 100% speed with sonic the hedgehog - PSP isn't powerful enough... lets see lets try emulating the psp on an atari 2600... that sounds equally plausable and pointless.

Letsee.. 3200mhz computer vs 333mhz psp, computer runs pj64 fine... psp runs n64 emus like crap. fast processor ftw!

euphoria

Emutalk Member
You can't directly compare the Mhz's because they are different CPUs. Two different architectures and probably PSP has some additional CPUs to speed up things.

Like N64 that has 93.75 Mhz processor, sounds like shit right? But it's a MIPS processor which by architecture is better than x86, also it has the RCP which is a vector processor which makes the difference.

From Wikipedia:
Processor: 93.75 MHz NEC VR4300 (info), based on MIPS R4300i-series 64-bit RISC CPU (image)

Graphics: SGI 62.5 MHz RCP (Reality Coprocessor) (image) contains two sub-processors:
- RSP (Reality Signal Processor) controls 3D graphics and sound functions (DSP-like MIPS R4000-based 8-bit integer vector operations)
- RDP (Reality Drawing Processor) rasterizer handles all pixel drawing operations in hardware, such as:

Playfull

tbh i dont know the fuss about allways getting emulators to other ports like when i got my Nokia 6600 some years back all was so excited over they could play c64,nes and sega games on it i installed some of them to see what it was about and laughed becouse not only was the tft screen so small i got a headache just trying to read the text and some of them was really slow ..

another thing if people have a decent pc why not play the nintendo on it the time and energy trying to optimize it for run at least with decent speed would take some time im quite happy the team uses thier energy on doing the PJ 64 as good as poosible on the pc ....

and i doubt you ever would be able to run "golden eye" on a psp with decent speed :p

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Scott, you must really hate your PSP and N64! Im estatic about n64 emulators for the PSP. When running at full speed N64 emu's on the PSP will make it worth owning a PSP. Comon man have a little faith..........

Typify

Nolife
In my humble opinion emulators should have stayed just on computers instead of spreading through handhelds like a wildfire.

Razor Blade

I say the more the merrier! What's with all the pessimistic POV's here, yikes! Even if none of the games would run full speed - even in the future, it's a pretty damn sweet Proof of Concept.

Ballard

zion said:
Scott, you must really hate your PSP and N64! Im estatic about n64 emulators for the PSP. When running at full speed N64 emu's on the PSP will make it worth owning a PSP. Comon man have a little faith..........

I actually agree with Scott. You have to understand the overhead of running a multipipelined 64-bit CPU through C code on a PC. It's hard enough to get a 100% emulation on a 2 Ghz x86, but then trying to compile it for a considerably less powerful system, will only result in the need for speed hacks and degraded sound and graphics. If this obsession with porting to handhelds is so overwhelming, perhaps a crappy, hacked emulation is fine. I want nothing to do with that and I don't think the developers of PJ do either. At least, I would hope.

jdsony

I like that handhelds and consoles get these emulators too even though I don't own them. It's good too see emulation is still alive.

As for an N64 emulator for PSP, it's likely never going to be great. The comment on the PSP having a more efficient processor doesn't mean much without the right coders. There are a lot more people comfortable with efficiently coding for x86 processors than specialized processors available in many of these devices. It's possible that some emulation could be simpler on a PSP than an PC system but there is pretty much no chance anything will ever run full speed and with sound. Porting Project 64 to the PSP would probably take a lot longer than rewriting a new emulator from scratch. The upside is that with the PSP you can get away with the low native 320x240 resolution of the N64 to save resources.

Last edited:

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Even if it was possible to emulate the N64 fullspeed on the PSP, (not likely) it would be impossible to do with PJ64. PJ64 is written for x86, probably in C++ (I'm too lazy to check). Jabo's plugins are written for an API called DirectX which is available exclusively on Windows and Xbox. So, for PJ64 to be ported to PSP all the plugins would have to be rewritten and it would still run slower than Daedalus. The only way a faster N64 emulator for PSP could be written is probably in ASM. This would require a tremendous amount of work, and it is still unlikely that it would run at full speed.

loopsider

You never know...They have gotten Playstation emulation on pocket pcs...I can get 50 FPS with sound with Final Fantasy VII (Battles), with pure SOFTWARE (no GPU involved). This is only with a 400 (overclocked to 472) mhz ARM-based CPU. That's emulation at its finest.

zilmar

Emulator Developer
PSMonkey is doing a great job. I like the psp but with pj64 on the PC I am unlikely to have the time to considering doing it as it rewriting a lot of code. If I had the time I would be more interested in writing a PSP emu for the PC

Ballard

loopsider said:
You never know...They have gotten Playstation emulation on pocket pcs...I can get 50 FPS with sound with Final Fantasy VII (Battles), with pure SOFTWARE (no GPU involved). This is only with a 400 (overclocked to 472) mhz ARM-based CPU. That's emulation at its finest.

No, that's emulation at it's hacky-est. Emulation at it's finest would be those that aim for hardware accuracy and do it for the purpose of documentation, thereby not giving a damn about speed or playability, not to satisfy "on the go Joe" who is happy with something not even close to perfect.