What's new

The mods chips is illegals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoh_asakura

I find some information about mod chips for the gc like the xeno and qoob. If I use the chips for my backups is illegal?

Sorry for my bad english
XENO
img.jpg

QOOB Sx2
img2.jpg

Last edited:
Using modchips for any purpose is illegal, cuz ya could just buy a modchip, then buy a pirate gc game and boot it. Of course, there are NO pirate games for the gamecube, because, well, Gamecube disks are special.

OP
Y

yoh_asakura

U sure? If un download a ngc game and burn it? =S thats a pirate game

But anybody are going to play pirates game only de 2$ believe me. Im not saying that I am part oh the 2% lol

Quvack

Master Magnus said:
Using modchips for any purpose is illegal, cuz ya could just buy a modchip, then buy a pirate gc game and boot it. Of course, there are NO pirate games for the gamecube, because, well, Gamecube disks are special.

Technically thats wrong, while the majority of users of modchips use them for playing illegal copies/"backups" of games, there are many who just use them for the homebrew side of things, my cube is modded and I rarely use it for anything than playing and testing homebrew/emulators. Same with my xbox, its modded and pretty much solely used for XBMC/playing the various emulators.

Using the chips for backup's of games you own should be legal but I think the Nintendo clause thingy that you get with games prohibits any copying/backups, but eh its still a fair use thing imo.

Regardless, modchip talk is generally frowned upon here so your best to look elsewhere if you want any information.

TerraPhantm

I'm pretty sure they're similar, especially if the gamecube can read mini-dvds. I'm guessing that the barcode being in the lead-in area might have something to do with it not being readable in PC drives.

Guru64

Master Magnus said:
CD and DVD drives CAN'T READ GAMECUBE DISKS. GODs are different from average DVDs.
Well, the GODs and DVDs are the same, but GODs just have a different file system and are encrypted. PC DVD drives can't decrypt the data and the PC can't handle the file system.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Are mod chips illegal? A debatable question.
Buying a product is certainly not illegal. Modifying a console for personal use certainly isn't illegal. But circuimventing protection system so as to play illegal games could very well be illegal. But is it illegal for homebrew or playing imported titles?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well, I chipped my PS2 and i'm yet to see any one take me in for it. Also it is possible to chip a GC now, i'm sure it uses a USB connection of some sort to work.

BoggyB

I would personally expect modchips to be legal, and the use of them for piracy to be illegal. But that's just my view on it. I have no idea what the actual law is, although over the the US the DMCA probably says "modchips bad".

In any case there's other ways to get your own code and/or games to run on a Gamecube without modding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.