What's new

Daedalus PSP

StrmnNrmn

Hi there,

It's been many, many years since I last updated Daedalus. Although I've been rubbish at keeping things up to date, I have been tinkering around with various N64 related projects over the past few years. Sometime late last year, one of my colleagues encouraged me to have a look at porting Daedalus over to the PSP. This is the text I've just submitted to PSP Updates:

To cut a long story short, I managed to port the emulator over fairly quickly, but after starting a new job development ground to a halt. A few months later I saw the buzz surrounding PSMonkey's N64 emu, and thought I'd have to finally bite the bullet and let people see what I had been working on.

This is quite important: The emulator is far from perfect - many (most) roms don't currently boot, and there are all sorts of crashes, graphical glitches and performance issues. There's no sound or savegame support either :( This should really be treated as a teaser of what's possible in the future. Hopefully if I have enough time and motivation I'll be able to make a lot of headway with these problems.

Despite all that, the emulator is showing some great signs of progress. Super Mario 64 is looking pretty good as you can see from the screenshots here: http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=57977.

sd00246bi.png

The next big tasks for me to tackle are to fix various crashes (i.e. many roms boot but then bug out after a few seconds) and improve performance (i.e. Mario currently only runs at around 20-25% of full speed.

Anyway, the source and binaries are released on sourceforge at the following link http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57977&package_id=188603&release_id=414040

Regards,
StrmnNrmn

nexis2600

Hey this is psmonkey,

Any chance would you be interested in working together on a single emulator? I'm really in need of someone to help me out with hle emulation.

OP
S

StrmnNrmn

I'm definitely interested in sharing info and helping each other out. Do you want to drop me a PM or email and we can discuss things a bit further?

Wraggster

DCEmu Webmaster
Administrator
awesome release :)

with 2 great coders N64 emulation on the PSP will go far :)

BTW PSP News is much better than pspupdates ;)

time to Mario ;)

nexis2600

StrmnNrmn said:
I'm definitely interested in sharing info and helping each other out. Do you want to drop me a PM or email and we can discuss things a bit further?

Check your PM box. :)

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
does this work using a v2.6 psp with the gta eboot loader? great work. You have made my day!

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Damn it has been a long time StrmnNrmn!

This port truely looks amazing (ok a little blueish glow but still :D great)

Seems like I need to get myself a PSP :)
(anyone know which firmware we need? 1.5 or lower OR the ones with the GTA method?)

Last edited:
OP
S

StrmnNrmn

Falcon4ever said:
Damn it has been a long time StrmnNrmn!

Yes, a very long time! Sadly work and other commitments kept getting in the way of all my personal projects :( Hopefully I'll get a bit more time to work on this kind of thing with my new job!

FrozenIpaq

Bravo

Excellent work :) I have been following PSMoneky's emulation progress and am stunned by your progress! I was speechless over PSMonkey, and now this! Words can not express how happy I am :matrix:

OP
S

StrmnNrmn

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Just a quick update - I've just uploaded a second release (R2) to sourceforge which should fix a few of the problems people have been reporting with the first release (i.e. hardcoded directories, missing .z64 and .rom files). Also, this release runs in user mode, so hopefully people running v2.0 should have more luck getting this to run (this is unverified at present).

The new binaries are here: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57977&package_id=188603&release_id=414132

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Absolutely amazing job! thank you so much! :drool:

Last edited:

bodie

Absolutely brilliant! Look forward to more releases in the near future, real life stuff permitting.
Couple of questions :- Does it presently use any form of frame skipping/overclocking? Is it feasible to output the sound through the media engine? I believe there are examples in the psp sdk.
Anyways, congrats on a great achievement...And welcome back :)
Nick

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Martin said:
58 online users viewing just this thread :p
I'm not surprised of that. I remember when Daedalus came out for PC... It was just VERY FAST.

It made possible to play F-Zero in my old PC and test some other games at decent speeds in my computer. It was the fastest emulator at that time, wasn't it? (Yup, 1964 and PJ64 were more compatible, but I think they were quite slower).

I don't think I'll ever buy a PSP, but it's a very sweet piece of software (those pics are great!)

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
In my opinion it has made a PSP worth owning. My PSP has just being sitting in the drawer gathering dust until this came out! A full speed N64 emulator would be far better than any PSP game sony could make.

Don't froget about PSMonkey either though. Monkey64 is getting better by the day.:king:

Last edited:

FreePlay

StrmnNrmn: Excellent work on the port thus far. Can't wait to see what you and PSMonkey can give us! Not even a full day and you've already managed to put it in user mode. Sweet.

Any way I could help you guys out?