What's new

I think Dualis will go the way of the dodo in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcaneLore

Why, you ask? As ideas continues to develop and come closer to perfection, the only reason for anyone to use dualis would be for development, effectively cutting away the userbase that wanted to *play* homebrew games. Wouldn't you rather use a single emulator to play both your backups and homebrew games, rather than 2?

Now, because Dualis will lose this user database, homebrew developers may turn toward ideas in creating games, because their target audience, the homebrew game players, will have turned to that emulator as well. The homebrew developers will want to test their creations on the software that the user will be using to run or test the games, so Dualis will no longer have any following whatsoever.

The only option, as I see it, is for Dualis to open itself up to commercial roms, or it's going to die.

Long live ideas.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I thought that homebrew games were made in order to run on a real DS and not on emulator, don't you think?

It's obvious that the target audience of Dualis is the developers and not the gamers. Developers don't need an emulator that runs commercial games as long as it has the accuracy and debugging feautures they want. Dualis has these feautures (compared to the rest) while iDeaS currently doesn't.
There's no reason for a developer to use another emulator when he already has what he wants and there's no reason for Dualis to support commercial games since it was made to assist developers.

Homebrew game players can still use whichever emulator they want. If the emulator they use cannot run these games when the games run on a real DS (and Dualis) then it will be a fault of the emulator and not a problem of the homebrew game (or Dualis).

Evrain

The Forbidden One
I agree with Clements. iDeaS DOES have debuging features, but they are all locked when a public release version is compiled: we are well aware of how thing go in this little, messy world -aka we know you don't have the original cartridge :p- and this is why we leave such tools out of the public's way and keep them only in developer and beta versions.

Neither me or Lino (especially Lino) are pleased with this situation, but iDeaS is still a project "for fun", so newbies and warez kiddos are not really a problem. When they'll become more than just a nuisance, we might take YopYop's decision. Maybe.
Evrain

Low Lines

God!! Is it always like this (with all emulators and realated software)?? Unbelievable!! Like I know people don't often think before they say, but this is like the 5th (or more, actually probably a LOT more) bad post/thread dropped on this forum in like the past few weeks, which is ridiculous!!
:angry:
I would suggest Sticking a STICKY thread, saying something like "Don't post here if you are gonna complain" but that won't guarantee people will read it and follow it...

But then it is the right of freedom of speech and I guess it can't be helped...
:(

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The thing is, no one reads the stickies. Plus there is always a stupid post all the time, and that can't be helped either.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Thanks ninja, copy of the source is already in Lino's hands by now.

Right now, some random whiner has PM'ed me in IRC (I'd post the log, but it's in Italian) complaining that he couldn't find "ROMs for the iDeaS emulator". I decided to tease him a bit, sending him on the Italian Internet Police dept site, and unbelievably he thought he would've found roms on there!! And then he went on about how emulators are made for the sole purpose of gaming without buying the console nor buying the games... makes me sick, I wonder why I still haven't typed rm -fr /ideas_src in my bash shell.
Figures.
Evrain

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
Meh. IMO Emulators are for a more stable and controlled enviroment in comparison to the early consoles. Hey, NES games actually run better on an emu than the system, with only the exception of only a few games which do not run. It is fact. I also see emulation as a way to sample games that you would not normally be able to play (I mean Japanese, I can't understand them but they make some nice RPGs XD). We all know how hard Japanese imports are to get, sadly. And I won't even mention those long obsolete systems... -_-. But in the case of a game or console you could easily buy off a shelf at the local Wal*Mart. I much rather buy.

But that is besides the point. I'm not all that big in DS emulation since I do not own a DS and it is new thus not too much my fancy, but I will test a DS emu to see how well it is going. All I can really say is that it is going well from what I've seen. I'm old fashion, what can I say? lol It is what I was what I grew up with. Atari, Odyssey, NES, Genesis, SNES, even PSX are the systems I have owned, the PSX was sadly bad when I bought it... -_-; but with ePSXe I played the games I had bought that just gathered dust, and I don't much like using my PS2 to run them.

But enough of MY rant. XD I know I'm off topic but all I really can say is good luck. :)

Darkfox

Last edited:

Low Lines

You are not doing anything wrong Darkfox, this actual topic of this thread was completely pointless and a waste of time, (in fact there were double posts too). If anyone seriously kept to the topic, I would think they would be complete idiots.

Note:
I'm saying this in the way that the topic was FOR/or in agreement to the negative opinion of the NDS Emulator Dualis, so as not do offend anyone or give the wrong message...

Cyberman

Low Lines said:
You are not doing anything wrong Darkfox, this actual topic of this thread was completely pointless and a waste of time, (in fact there were double posts too). If anyone seriously kept to the topic, I would think they would be complete idiots.

Note:
I'm saying this in the way that the topic was FOR/or in agreement to the negative opinion of the NDS Emulator Dualis, so as not do offend anyone or give the wrong message...
The sad thing is .. I can't delete this thread. :D

Well if anyone has a question of what ISN'T the right thing to think and do here, look at the first post in the thread !

I'm not sure people understand this.. emulators are for people to use, not for people to use other people ( IE why doesn't it play my XXX game! ) to get what they want. You use things not people.

Cyb

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
Yeah. Though it wouldn't bother me too bad. I actually find it amusing especially since there is a compatability list. XD

In any case, there are two kind of complaints: Constructive complaints and whining. Constructive is when an unaddressed bug is pointed out and... well, you already know what whining is. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.