What's new

Metroid Prime sound effects extraction?

HaVoK-G2

Hello all, I'm looking for a way to extract some sound effects from metroid prime. Mostly I'm looking for the gun sound effects, the firing, charge and different shots etc...

I searched around the forums and managed to come across a few threads with tools made by "thakis" (mtexdump, mpakdump) and was able to find the soundtrack .dsp files, but I can't seem to extract.play the weird files it makes from say the AudioGrp.pak, I was thinking maybe some sound effects were in there.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mouser X

I'd pull out the DSP files, and use this Winamp plugin to play them. I know there are sound FX in there, because I have the DSPs. However, I'm not sure at all if the ones you're looking for are DSPs or if they're stored somewhere else, as something else. Hopefully that helps a little though. Mouser X over and out.

Last edited:
OP
H

HaVoK-G2

Do you possibly know in what .paks there are some .dsp sound effects? Are some sound effects even in .dsp format, are you sure you've heard some that are .dsp?

As CountChocula0 said, in AudioGrp.pak it's all .AGSC files, and I have no clue how to open them or extract them.
and any .dsp files I've come across have been music / soundtrack files.

The File structure I have now is:

mprime folder:
bunch of .paks in mprime folder
Audio Folder --- (bunch of .dsp soundtracks)
Video Folder --- (videos .thp)

Last edited:

Mouser X

I've heard sound FX DSPs from the audio folder. As I said though, I doubt any of them are the ones that are being sought after. When the audio clip is less than 5 seconds, or close thereto, it looks like it's a sound effect to me. I know that some are in there because I have them. If that you misunderstood that, I'm sorry. But that's what I was refering to as sound effects from the DSPs. Hopefully that clears up what I meant more. Mouser X over and out.

thakis

if the filenameo of the the AGSC files start with "1_", the file is compressed and you have to decompress it (with mdecomp). After that you might be able to play it with audacity or in_cube if you're lucky.

OP
H

HaVoK-G2

The ones in the AudioGrp.pak mostly are like:
"0_1"

I'll try mdecomp when I get home, thanks alot.

GreenArchon

Interesting, I was just about to open a similar topic after I had found the other thread about the .pak files via goole =). Within the audio directory, there are only background music and announcement sounds, but no sound effects like a gunshot there. There are some .rsf files, but I can't open them.

I just extracted the audiogrp.pak and out came a number of .agsc files. They begin with "0" so I guess they are not compressed. I also tried opening them with winamp (nothing happens) and audacity (only screeching), so these don't seem to be audio files. Unfortunately, the filenames (e.g. 0_1ee1ad21.AGSC) don't give any hints on what is in there.

I'm not familiar with the GC disc structures, so if all sounds are always and only in the audio directory and the root dir contains only non-media stuff, please tell me =)

Mouser X

No, I've found audio files pretty much anywhere developers want to put them. On the root of the disc, in the sound directory, in the speach directory, in the langauge directory, in the movie directory, all kinds of places. Usually what I do is look in the most obvious place. If can't find any recognizeable audio files in the obvious places, then I extract the whole disc, and search the results for ADX, DSP, ADP, ect (since that's the audio type I'm trying to find most of the time). If I can't find any of those, then I'll look for the largest files, and look at the header to that file in a HEX editor. If anything in it looks like it might be audio, then I send it to HCS for further examination (yah, I can't decode those things for the life of me). The RSF files in Metroid Prime are definatly audio files. Beyond, that, no one (that I'm aware of) has been able to decipher them. Based on the names of the files, and the songs that are missing from the OST, I'd say that RSF files are played during menu screens, or similar. Which is a big dissapointment for me, because my favorite song on the OST is contained in one of those RSFs... :( Oh well...

And that's my experience with GC audio files. Wasn't that fun? Mouser X over and out.

SarahHarp

Actually, agsc's are the audio sound effect files, dont look at the file name to see the contents, look inside the file (as hex). You'll find that the first few bytes tell what the file contains, such as "audio/ridley" or "audio/weapons", etc.

OP
H

HaVoK-G2

Interesting Sarah thank you!

Any other ideas on how to actually play or extract the sound from it though?

Thanks

CountChocula0

Count Chocula!
It seems people have become very interested in the Metroid Prime and Prime 2 sounds quickly, including me. :p

Thank you SarahHarp for working on it.

FooliusCaesar13

all i have so far is something that reads binary in and writes binary out. anyone have anything else...like maybe on how to interpret the binary data? i'd love to dump this stuff to wave files that i can chop up.

FooliusCaesar13

ditto.
do you know anything about the file format (AGSC)? the only thing i've noticed so far is the plethora of binary null characters...heh.

SarahHarp

Since I'm just starting, as I mentioned, I have no idea about file structure as of yet. But as I continue to research the whole digital audio aspect, then I may have a better answer (or hopefully a sound player) for the file.

FooliusCaesar13

okie dokie. just thought i'd ask. if you find anything out...lemme know. i can figure stuff out...just dunno where to begin.
i have a parser, and i think i've deciphered part of the header (like i said...tons of binary nulls). but, after that...i don't know what to do. if i could peg the file format (wav, pcm, mp3, etc)...it'd be easier. I don't know wtf to do, but i know people that do.

nivek98

I've been trying to figure this out too. Has anyone made any progress yet? Is there any way I could help despite my little knowledge of digital audio? I've experimented with different import settings in Audacity and Goldwave but haven't gotten anywhere.